title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Gaim Instant Messenger

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Gaim Instant Messenger

Just as Firefox is the choice for web browsing, Gaim (from http://gaim.sourceforge.net/ ) looks a very polished product, especially as it is free. Supports Instant messaging across AIM, MSN and Yahoo.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Gaim Instant Messenger

Just switched to GAIM after AIM wouldn't let me add somebody to my buddy list for some random reason. Well, also from recommendations from a friend and people like Spoon. It's a little different, but I like it.

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by LtData
      Just switched to GAIM after AIM wouldn't let me add somebody to my buddy list for some random reason. Well, also from recommendations from a friend and people like Spoon. It's a little different, but I like it.
      Hmmm, I generally use MSN or Yahoo Messengers. I also have AIM for one contact who insists on it :rolleyes:

I wouldn't mind rolling them all into one single messenger application as long as I'd not be losing any functionalities. I have noticed that people who use Windows Messenger can chat with somebody on MSN, can send files but cannot receive files from somebody on MSN. Go figure!

Comment

• Razgo
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

i use msn now for those that prefer it but i have always used ICQ. i think ICQ is still better than msn and is probably the most longest standing instant messanger around? i think in the end most of these instant messengers will make it so they can interact with each other. not sure why gaim doesn't support ICQ yet? or maybe they do as i havent checked out the latest yet.

in ICQ i can send a message in chat even if the other isnt on line but in msn it wont let me do that. although in ICQ i can't get the video cam working yet but in msn it's no worries. ah well too many toys :D

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

GAIM does support ICQ, in so much as AOL (who owns ICQ) allows AIM users to contact ICQ users and vice-versa.

Comment

• jqubed
            • May 2005

i've been fairly pleased overall with Gaim; I switched a few months ago. I'd been holding out upgrading AIM from 4.8 in case a plugin i'd been using finally upgraded to support 5, but i guess the guy abandoned the project. Anyway, Gaim fit the bill and it has a lot of features I like. I don't use the transparency settings though, I use a program called Ghost-It! that gives whatever window you 'ghost' transparency and keeps it on top where you can see it, but lets all clicks pass through unless you activate the window with the hot-keys or clicking on its taskbar icon. occasionally it doesn't seem to play so well with Gaim (sometimes the skin disappears requiring me to restart the program, or a tooltip stays on if the window ghosts before the tip disappears so i have to then refocus on Gaim so the tooltip can disappear) but they're minor problems.

Comment

• neilthecellist
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Dec 2004

Sorry guys. But I've tried out all the programs out there that are multi-chat-protocol'ed. This includes Gaim and Trillian. I used Gaim for months, but recently I discovered that my CPU throttles and hits 100% for no reason when Gaim is running. At first, I thought it was just my bad 1.8 ghz Pentium 4 processor, so I tried running Gaim on my buddy's AMD 64 3000+ . He got 100% CPU too.

So recently, I switched to Trillian Basic. It supports all the chat clients, INCLUDING IRC. Furthermore, you can minimize the buddy list to the Windows taskbar (also possible in Gaim) AND minimize the chat window to the taskbar, which saves you a LOT of screen space. No more 100% throttles either, the highest Trillian goes on my Pentium 4 is 36%. On my brother's, 10%.

As usual, there is tabbed chatting, and also, Trillian supports SecureIM. Better security. Also, unlike Gaim, you can video/voice chat on all the chat protocols, including MSN, AIM, and I believe, Yahoo. Gaim does NOT let you do that.

So that's why I switched to Trillian.

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

I think you mean minimize to the system tray.
                And Trillian's IRC implementation is horrible, from what people tell me.
                As for saving space, GAIM allows you to have all of your IM windows in one, tabbed window.
                And I don't have the 100% CPU Problem... mabye its a plugin that your using? Its probably not the size of your buddy list, as I have over 200 people on my GAIM buddy list across 3 names and 2 protocols (MSN and AIM).

Comment

• neilthecellist
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Dec 2004

I have all protocols checked off, MSN, IRC, AIM, ICQ, Yahoo.

When I did the 100% CPU Gaim problem testing, I tried enabling/disabling all plug-ins. Still the same problem. version 1.3.0, latest Win version.
                  True, IRC in Trillian is pretty bad; someone has to make a message in that IRC channel before you can join, which is stupid....still, having IRC at all in the first place is better than Gaim not having IRC support at all!

Yes, I know Gaim lets you put everything into one window, but if you want to minimize those windows, you can ONLY minimize the buddy list to the taskbar with the clock; the chat window MUST be minimized to the main taskbar where all your other windows are. Waste of space. Especially since I now do Unreal Matinee making with Unreal Editor 3.0 and 3D Studio Max, I MUST have space on the taskbar. Gaim is a no-no.

Comment

• colajoe
                    • Jun 2005

is this free like aim?

Comment

• colajoe
                      • Jun 2005

also, can you run a real time java version so you don't have to download onto a computer?

joe

Comment

• LtData
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • May 2004

GAIM is free, yes. I don't think there is a java version, though.

Comment

• neilthecellist
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Dec 2004

Switched back to Gaim. Trillian hits a 100% throttle when you talk to more than two people at once via different chat protocols e.g. I'm talking to Person A on AIM and Person B on MSN, then my CPU throttles.

You can install Gaim without any GTK themes, but no, there is no Java version, like LtData said.

Comment

• coolguy45!!!!
                            • Aug 2005

Originally posted by neilthecellist
                            Sorry guys. But I've tried out all the programs out there that are multi-chat-protocol'ed. This includes Gaim and Trillian. I used Gaim for months, but recently I discovered that my CPU throttles and hits 100% for no reason when Gaim is running. At first, I thought it was just my bad 1.8 ghz Pentium 4 processor, so I tried running Gaim on my buddy's AMD 64 3000+ . He got 100% CPU too.

So recently, I switched to Trillian Basic. It supports all the chat clients, INCLUDING IRC. Furthermore, you can minimize the buddy list to the Windows taskbar (also possible in Gaim) AND minimize the chat window to the taskbar, which saves you a LOT of screen space. No more 100% throttles either, the highest Trillian goes on my Pentium 4 is 36%. On my brother's, 10%.

As usual, there is tabbed chatting, and also, Trillian supports SecureIM. Better security. Also, unlike Gaim, you can video/voice chat on all the chat protocols, including MSN, AIM, and I believe, Yahoo. Gaim does NOT let you do that.

So that's why I switched to Trillian.
                            Sadly, yes, the Winblows version of GAIM is very flawed; I experienced that it crashes every few minutes? (Sometimes hours)
                            In addition, I did experience the CPU 100% usage thing.
                            On Loonix and UNIX OSes, however, it runs quite well.
                            And let me add, GAIM has security; you can install an encryption add-on, as well as another one. (Not sure about details, I just know they're there)

...IRC at all in the first place is better than Gaim not having IRC support at all!
                            GAIM has IRC support, fyi.

Just as Firefox is the choice for web browsing,...
                            Actually, Opera is known to be faster than Firefox for web browsing.
                            Also, it seems after Phoenix Firefox has declined when it comes to speed... or atleast, that's what it seems like over here.

omg by
                            -coolguy45!!!! kthxbye

Comment

Working...

]]>