title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Need help on converting wav to mp3

Administrator

Re: Need help on converting wav to mp3

The mp3 compressor will not accept 24 bit files.

dBpoweramp Guru

doh! i didn't realize another member had slipped in there also. getting old

Quote Originally Posted by Razgo
    doh! i didn't realize another member had slipped in there also. getting old
    Shhh! Don't mention that word!

Well, "da man" said it all in a short sentence - the MP3 encoder that comes with dmc can't handle 24 bit files. That was the conclusion I was coming to with some experiments earlier today. I tried using the MP3 codec which comes with dmc to create an mp3 from the same 24 bit file in another audio application. An mp3 file was actually created but all I got was white noise. I tried the same thing with another mp3 codec in the other audio application and the mp3 came out fine.

I also tried the suggestion of first making a 16 bit wav file from the 24 bit wav file and converting to mp3. That worked. But the suggestion to try converting the 24 bit file directly to mp3, with DSP set to 16 bit dithering, didn't. Both results fit with what "da man" said.

I also tried the blade encoder on the 24 bit wav file without success.

So, is there any chance that an mp3 encoder will become available for dbpoweramp that can handle 24 bit files directly?

But the suggestion to try converting the 24 bit file directly to mp3, with DSP set to 16 bit dithering, didn't.
    I am not sure why. This worked for me. Do you have any other DSP's activated?
    When you say it didn't work, what happened?

Administrator

>with DSP set to 16 bit dithering,

That should have worked, after that DSP effect the file is 16 bit, so no problems. It is on my todo list to fix in the future.

Well, after seeing the new postings, I tried 16-bit dithering on the 24-bit file again. This time it worked just fine. I believe that I didn't double click on the option the first time. Now I can hide my head in shame. :(

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Thank a lot guys I figured out the problem in case no one else has, I've been using db to convert files for ringtones, from mp3 to wave I use as source for everything, cut out what I want then (because it's for a nextel) 32kbps, mono, and 8000hz seems to have cleared everything up. If you haven't yet, try it and get back and let us know how it worked for you.