title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help on converting wav to mp3

Re: Need help on converting wav to mp3

I was able to convert just fine to from Wav to WMA, and get the green bar showing it's finished, but when I try to convert the same Wav file to Mp3 I get the error message in a window saying that the required codec cannot be opened. I did uninstall, delete the entire folder afterwards, and then did a reinstall. The same thing happened. Was some kind of registry entry or hidden info file perhaps left behind from the trial version?

dBpoweramp Guru

anything is possible i guess. whenever you want to clean out the registry to make sure , do the following:

from Spoon:

A. If uninstalling does not help, then follow these instructions to make a totally clean start:

*** if you are using dBpowerAMP Audio Player, backup your music collection first ***

1) Reboot PC, Select 'Start' >> 'Run' and type:

regedit.exe

Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Illustrate
    delete the Key (folder) 'dBpowerAMP'.

2) Using Windows Explorer, open C:\Program Files\Illustrate and Delete the folder 'dBpowerAMP'

3) Reinstall, one by one dMC and Codecs.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonhand
    Was some kind of registry entry or hidden info file perhaps left behind from the trial version?
    There are registry entries that were probably left behind, but not just for the trial version. Follow Razgo's directions above.
    Remember, always be careful editing your registry. Also, make sure you install all codecs and dMC before you delete the registry entries. And make sure you have administrator access before you uninstall or edit the registry

that was the way i was trying to convert it by useing 128 stereo ect... doesnt work.

what frequency is your original file? 44.1KHz? Is it stereo or mono?

all i see is pcm signed 16 bit stereo. that what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulTrain
    all i see is pcm signed 16 bit stereo. that what you mean.
    I'm wondering if it's a compressed type of PCM wav. Try converting it simply to another wav, not compressed, 16-bit, 2-channel stereo, frequency=44.1KHz and save the resulting file under a different name or in a different folder. If that works, then use that file to convert to mp3 or whatever you need to convert to.

Look at the properties of that new wav file and see how they differ from the properties of the original one. Therein may be the problem.

Dragonhand-
    What frequency and what number of of bits and channels does your wav file have?
    What settings did you use when you were trying your mp3 conversion (bits, frequency, bitrate, channels)?
    What settings did you use for your wma conversion (for the wma file)?
    Check your dMC Configuration (Start > All Programs > dBpowerAMP Music Converter > Configuration > dMC Configuration). Check the list of encoder (write) codecs installed. You should see Lame listed.
    Let us know what you find.

Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Oh yes, can you convert your wma file to mp3?
    Last edited by xoas; 11-29-2004 at 07:54 PM.

SoulTrain-
    Do you have Professional Frequency Conversion enabled (can be found in your dMC Configuration here: Start > All Programs > dBpowerAMP Music Converter > Configuration > dMC Configuration). If this is off (which is the default setting) try turning it on. This may help if your wav file is of a different frequency from the mp3 file you are trying to create.

Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Bill,

In answer to your query:

1. The Wav file in question is in PCM Format, 24 bits, 44.1 Khz, 2 channels, 1.1 Gb size.

2. I was able to convert from Wav to WMA. I did that at 128 kbps, 44 KHz, 128 bitrate, 1 pass CBR.

3. I was able to convert that WMA file to MP3 -- at 192 kbps, 44.1 KHz, 2 channel joint stereo, encoded by Lame 3.96.

4. I was also able to convert from Wav to Wav, which created a Format "Wave Form Extensible". However, that new Wav file also could not be converted to an MP3 file.

5. On the other hand I successfully converted another wav file which is 16 bits, 22 Khz, PCM format.

Am I up against a limit in the Lame encoder? If so, is there an alternative encoder is can use?

Xoas or Christina can correct me, but I think it's the 24-bit part of your wave that's breaking the mp3 conversion. Can you convert this wave to a 16-bit 44100Hz wave?

Quote Originally Posted by dragonhand
    Bill,

In answer to your query:

1. The Wav file in question is in PCM Format, 24 bits, 44.1 Khz, 2 channels, 1.1 Gb size.

2. I was able to convert from Wav to WMA. I did that at 128 kbps, 44 KHz, 128 bitrate, 1 pass CBR.

3. I was able to convert that WMA file to MP3 -- at 192 kbps, 44.1 KHz, 2 channel joint stereo, encoded by Lame 3.96.

4. I was also able to convert from Wav to Wav, which created a Format "Wave Form Extensible". However, that new Wav file also could not be converted to an MP3 file.

5. On the other hand I successfully converted another wav file which is 16 bits, 22 Khz, PCM format.

Am I up against a limit in the Lame encoder? If so, is there an alternative encoder is can use?
    Oh, oh, the Wave format extensible indicates a compressed wav. This is not what I meant by "standard" PCM wav. That should be uncompressed, 16-bit 44.1KHz 2-channel stereo.

But I think LtData is right. Going from 24-bit wav to mp3 (which is 16-bit) in one step doesn't generally work. You have to go through the intermediate standard wav. The joint stereo part also may be an additional problem at this point.

Basically changing too many of the parameters at the same time while converting to different formats may fail, even if Professonal frequency is enabled in dMC Configurations. Those parameters are bits, frequency, channels, bitrate.

Try to do your conversion progressively. First go from the 24-bit wav to 16-bit wav 44.1KHz 2-channel stereo (or mono if originally mono). Then use this wav to further convert.
    Last edited by ChristinaS; 11-30-2004 at 11:02 AM.

I also think it likely that the problem in Dragonhand's case is the 24 bit nature of his original wav file. However, with the new r11 of dMC there is a new DSP in the Power Pack that might be appropriate and save having to do the conversion in 2 steps rather than one.

Go to convert the original 24 bit wav to mp3. In the dMC window where you set the format and settings for your output file, click on the DSP effects button. In the DSP window, activate the 16 Bit dither DSP. Then try the conversion. If this works like I think it should, it should convert the 24 bit wav to a simulated 16 bit prior to converting to mp3.

Let us know if you try this and how it works out.
    Best wishes,
    Bill mikkelsen

dBpoweramp Guru

originally you said it was a 16 bit wav. so this is a new ball game now. unfortuantly you need a 24bit sound card to even take advantage of it. i used to record 24bit into a professional card and then use Qbase software to dither it down to 16bits. but once you got it down to 16bit there shouldn't be a problem. xoas solution should work in theory as that's what Spoon made the DSP effect to do. i don't have any 24bit files for testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Razgo
    originally you said it was a 16 bit wav.
    The 16-bit file was SoulTrain's not Dragonhand's :D