title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: cdgrab.exe

Re: cdgrab.exe

When you uninstalled dMC, did you also remove all codecs and other associated stuff, like AccurateRip?

Another problem was a directory being corrupted on the HDD. How do you figure this out? Right-click on every folder on your computer and go to properties. If you crash, that's the problem folder, or a subfolder inside of it. Go into that folder and try to narrow it down further if you can. TThis may not be the problem, though. Another idea is to run the System File Checker. Open up a command window (Start --> Run --> cmd) and type, without quotes, "sfc /scannow" and have your XP SP2 CD nearby. This will check to make sure all of your Window's files are what they are supposed to be.

If you do not have an XP SP2 CD nearby, but do have an older version of XP on CD, you can update the CD with Service Pack 2 by doing what is known as slipstreaming. Instructions are at this website.
    Another problem may be memory errors. Do you have more than one stick of RAM in your computer?

Edit: Wow, 2 pages on a thread only about one hour old. Guess you were lucky to catch Christina and I browsing the forum at the same time. I'll investigate further tomorrow.
    Last edited by LtData; 11-21-2004 at 12:01 AM.

Vex

Right-click on every folder on your computer and go to properties.

Man, what a daunting task. I'll try the scannow and see what happens.

Thx guys, I'll check back tomorrow.

Vex

It's gotta be my pc but I dunno what 2 do. getpopupinfo.exe crashes when i hover over cda files.

What has happened to my machine? :(:(:(:(

Unregistered

Maybe the CD is copy protected.

Vex

I thought that 2 but Windows doesn't recognize that there's data content on the cd so I can't even play the cd-rom video that's on the disc.

Have you checked the Windows Event Monitor? it may give a you a clue as to what is happening - if you can interpret the error code, which is very cryptic.

This can range from insufficient power supply to drive all the devices you have, deffective memory, bad sectors on one of the hard disks, problems with the cd drive itself. Even viruses that may have gone undetected. Overheating is possible too, but you say this is taken care of.

It takes a lot of seluthing and trial and error to pinpoint things.

I have random Windows Explorer crashes (but mercifully not complete system crashes) at times if I hover over a media file as well. It's not so much Getpopupinfo related from what I've noticed, but more if I have clicked once on a file so it's highlighted and then hover over it, often Explorer crashes.

I too have a Lite-on dvd burner and an LG cd burner. The dvd burner was installed lately and it replaced a cd-rom drive. I had Explorer problems long before the dvd burner came on the scene. Since I installed the dvd burner both dvd burner and cd burner seem to give me some problems, they seem to take very long to detect that a cd is in them and appear to hang for a long time, especially after I burn a cd. I don't know if it's hardware related or software-related. Since nothing really bad has happened, and they end up working, I have let it pass for now. I'm just amazed that things still end up working actually. I'm running W2K and WMP 9. I seem to have more problems after installing a newer vesion of Nero (6.000..) in re the cd and dvd drives, but it may be just coincidence.

I know this doesn't help you at all, though, and I'm sorry not to have a ready solution.

Vex

Faulting application cdgrab.exe, version 6.0.0.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0a05000b.

This the what the event log properties screen has to say. The 5 in the middle of the memory address can be any number from what I have seen.

Vex

Now I'm really flustered. I installed dmc onto my laptop and, of course, no problems with the mixed content cd's. Any suggestions? Maybe a system reinstall? (ugh)

Does your laptop have SP2?

Quote Originally Posted by LtData
    Does your laptop have SP2?
    Shhhh, don't speak of the devil :D

Yes, I think some kind of system cleanup is in order. Don't know what to recommend, as this is uncharted territory. When I get this kind of stuff, it's hair pulling time. Last time I needed a new HD :cry:

Sometimes reinstalling certain components may solve the problem.

Good luck to you.

One thing that I ask you to try is to uninstall SP2 on your computer that is having blue screens and try again. If it works, then we know SP2 is the problem. How to fix it? Good question. Call Micrsoft when you get an answer. :D

Quote Originally Posted by LtData
    One thing that I ask you to try is to uninstall SP2 on your computer that is having blue screens and try again. If it works, then we know SP2 is the problem. How to fix it? Good question. Call Micrsoft when you get an answer. :D
    Can you even uninstall SP2? I wonder.

Vex

Thx so much for your help guys. Alas, I have just reinstalled XP and the problem was resolved. I do wish I knew what happened to it. Can't think of anything other than an IE update from WinUpdate that, oddly, was not available this time. I experienced a strange thing a few years ago with Automatic Updates from Windows. The autoupdate feature announced new updates from micro$oft which I blindly let install. Turned out the autoupdater thing had been hacked and I received a false update warning from an enemy machine rather than M$. Since then I kept autoupdating disabled until the release of SP2, thinking it would be more secure than in the past but now I'm wondering if the same thing didn't happen this time, somehow "borking" my dvd drives. So now it's back to manual WinUpdates.

Nonetheless, everything is dandy now. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristinaS
    Can you even uninstall SP2? I wonder.
    If you can get into windows you can uninstall SP2 from Add/Remove Programs.

As I said Vex, some people have experienced problems after installing SP2 with their optical drives. Sometimes the problem returns after reinstalling SP2, sometimes not.

Vex

Argh, damn SP2. It's doing it again. Why would it be ok for 2 cd's then go kablooey again. Isn't SP2 a good thing, at least as far as security goes?

Screw it, I'll just rip the mixed cd's on my laptop.

Would CloneDVD or DVDIdlePro have anything to do with it?