title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: cdgrab.exe

Vex

cdgrab.exe

Hello there. I've been an avid dmc user for a couple of years now and never had a problem until recently.

Anytime I want to rip an audio cd that contains cd-rom content cdgrab.exe crashes. I enter the cd, cdgrab tries to read the disc and encounters an error. These same discs also sometimes give me BSOD errors complaining about a BAD_POOL_HEADER. Now what's odd, WMP10 will successfully rip the cd except the final track containing the data so I'm assuming it's a problem with my machine. But, like I said, I've never encountered such errors before.

Any assistance would be great!!

Thx!!

Re: cdgrab.exe

I had a problem with CDGrab crashing on me to. Try one of the following and test after each try:
    Disable automatic retrieving of titles from freedb. (Options)
    Change the CD Interface type to 2000/NT Built-In (Limited) (Options, CD Drive Advanced)
    Change the option you currently have for Table of Contents detection (Options , Standard CD player Emulation)

Do other CDs rip properly?
    I'm assuming that you have WinXP, as you are using WMP10.
    What version of dMC are you using??

Hmmmm.... I think it's because dMC CD Audio Input is designed to only rip audio cd's not mixed type cd's. I may be wrong on this, it might be possible to make it work though. I'd still think that the best way would be rip the tracks using dMC from WIndows Explorer. Of course the Freedb database won't be available, but it may not contain anything anyway for a mixed-type cd.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristinaS
    Hmmmm.... I think it's because dMC CD Audio Input is designed to only rip audio cd's not mixed type cd's. I may be wrong on this, it might be possible to make it work though.
    Actually, I've used dMC to rip mixed type CDs before, and it's worked fine for me. It was the Half-Life game CD and I was ripping the sound-track off of it. Although getting this to work might differ from CD to CD

Unregistered

Well Data, I tried all 3 possible solutions to no avail. All standard cd's rip just fine and I've ripped many mixed content cd's in the past with no problems.

Yes, I am running XP SP2 and I'm using release 11 rc 1.

I am positively befuddled. Sometimes I just put the mixed cd in and my pc crashes to blue screen. Makes no sense.

:(

Quote Originally Posted by LtData
    Actually, I've used dMC to rip mixed type CDs before, and it's worked fine for me. It was the Half-Life game CD and I was ripping the sound-track off of it. Although getting this to work might differ from CD to CD
    Ok, my mistake, I thought I'd read it somewhere in the forum. I haven't tried it myself since I only have one cd that's mixed-type and it's been misplaced for some time :D

I suppose I should make one and see how it's handled then. Nothing like first-hand knowledge.

Vex

BTW, I'm using power pack also even though it says unregistered on the rip to screen. :S

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    Well Data, I tried all 3 possible solutions to no avail. All standard cd's rip just fine and I've ripped many mixed content cd's in the past with no problems.

Yes, I am running XP SP2 and I'm using release 11 rc 1.

I am positively befuddled. Sometimes I just put the mixed cd in and my pc crashes to blue screen. Makes no sense.

:(
    Have you tried to reinstall dMC and all its components after SP2?
    Is your CD drive enabled for digital audio playback? If so, maybe try to disable that.

What's the ripping speed in dMC Audio CD Input? Maybe it's set too high?
    Is read CD Text selected? Maybe unselect it.

Can you rip to Test Conversion (no write)?

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    Mabye try disabling "Read CD-Text" under Advanced CD Drive options? Mabye changing the command set will work, but I don't know what all the different settings do.

One more idea:
    Open up CDGrab, hold down a shift key and insert the CD. After the CD is inserted, release shift. dMC shouldn't see that a CD was inserted. Now hit refresh and see if that works.

Edit: If you turn off digital audio, make sure you have an analog sound wire running from that CD drive to your soundcard.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristinaS
    Can you rip to Test Conversion (no write)?
    One thing, though, Christina: normally CDGrab crashes when he tries to rip the CD.

Unregistered

cdgrab crashes as soon as it tries to read the disc and, furthermore, my pc is not recognizing the data content on these cd's. :(:(:(

Researching the BSOD BAD_POOL_HEADER and there could be a few causes.
    First, do you have the Indexing Servide on?
    Open up My Computer and right-click on your Hard Drive and go to properties. In that window, do you see a check box named "Allow Indexing Service to index this drive"? If you do, is it checked? If so, uncheck it and then hit OK. Select "apply to all folders, subfolders, and files" and click OK. In about a minute, click "Ignore All" in the windows that pops up saying "Access is denied".

Also, if you can, try running your computer with the side off and a fan blowing into it and see if it still errors out.

Also, what are your system specs?

Vex

System specs: MSI mobo, P4 3.2g HT, geforce fx5700 ultra, lite-on dvd-rom, pioneer dvd writer, WD 80 & 120 gb HDD's, soundblaster audigy gamer

I don't think it's heat related. My box is water-cooled with 8 fans cooling various areas of the interior. All indexing related stuff is turned off or disabled.

Yes, Christina, I did uninstall and reinstall dmc including the deletion of it's corresponding registry keys.

Sigh. :(

Hmm. There was another post at some forum i read about SP2 borking other people's CD drives. Can you rip normal CDs just fine?

Side note: With your PC being water-cooled, are you computer-savvy? It appears that you are, especially since you already turned off indexing service

Vex

LOL borking. What a great word.

Yep, normal cd's pose no problem.

As far as being tech-savvy, well, let's say I know a lot for a noob. :D