title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: cdgrab.exe

Vex

Re: cdgrab.exe

I just don't understand why it just all of a sudden started doing this a couple of weeks ago........

Try uninstalling the CloneDVD and DVDIdlePro and try converting again. It's not likely they are affecting it, but still a possibility. It must be SP2 reacting to your computer's hardware configuration or something.

On a related note: I have successfully ripped at least 4 mixed-mode CDs with no ill-effects while under WinXP Pro SP2.

And yes, SP2 does increase computer security, but in doing so it may break a few things here and there. This always happens when you exchange function for security.

Vex

Thx Data, I'm currently reinstalling (again) XP, this time with SP1a instead of SP2. We'll see what happens......

When you say you reinstalled windows with SP2, did you first install WinXP SP1 and then install SP2 afterwards? Or did you install Windows XP with SP2 from the start? One thing I remember hearing is that installing SP2 on a machine that has SP1 (or SP1a) may cause problems. It's recommended to go from original XP to SP2. Do you have a CD with the original version of XP?

I slipstreamed SP2 with my store bought copy of XP Pro which included SP1 on it. Not sure if it conflicted or not. I'm now just installing the original SP1 disc. Unfortunately I do not have a copy without a service pack already incorporated. My laptop had SP2 installed after using a slipstreamed sp1a disc and it still has no problems even after installing CloneDVD and DVDIdlePro.

It's really gonna bug me to not have my pc completely up to date but I guess that's the price for proper performance.

Hope it works. Wish me luck. :D

Hmm. I guess its something else with your computer. Did you build it yourself? Do you have a program that monitors your computer's temperatures?

My pc was custom built at a local PC Club store. No temperature monitoring software am I using.

Well, I recommend you get a temperature monitoring program, at least for the time being. Just so you know, it probably won't work on your laptop. Anyways, the program, which is free, is called "Motherboard Monitor" or MBM for short. The website is http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ . Try that and tell us what your average temperature is.

My case has a temperature monitor built-in. Right-now my case temp is 78F. Under normal operation it never goes above 81F except when I play Planetside then it cranks up to 83-87F. According to my bios my processor temp is generally 8-11 degrees above what the case reports.

Under that assumption, your processor only hits about 100F. That shouldn't be causing your crashing. I don't know what the problem is, then. What STOP error does the BSOD give you?

The BSOD error was BAD_POOL_HEADER. I did a little research, all i came up with was symantec products causing that error. I did have Norton Ghost installed but when I reinstalled yesterday I did not install that program and still had the problem.

Puzzling, ain't it? :vmad:

Also, the mixed cd's that caused the BSOD had to be removed from the drive when rebooting or the same error would occur preventing Windows from loading.
    Last edited by Vexzilla; 11-22-2004 at 08:55 PM.

I meant the numbers, like 0x000 whatever.

And I read SP2 releated problems. Something about a hotfix that was released and broke SP2 CD drive stuff.

And the mixed CDs kept windows from reloading? Now THAT'S strange. If you load up CDGrab with no CD, put in the CD and click Refresh, does it still crash?

Sorry, didn't document the numbers.

Yep, cdgrab crashes no matter what when it comes to mixed discs.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexzilla
    Sorry, didn't document the numbers.

Yep, cdgrab crashes no matter what when it comes to mixed discs.
    What is the order on teh disc? Audio cd portion followed by data portion or the other way around?

The latter I believe.