title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Unable to burn 24 bit tracks

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nregitz
    • Aug 2002

Unable to burn 24 bit tracks

I have upconverted my CD's to 24 bit, using the Monkey codec. I tried to burn several of these tracks back to CD, but I was unable to. I could only burn them back to CD if I down converted them back to 16 bit. Is there a way to burn the 24 bit tracks to CD?
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: Unable to burn 24 bit tracks

5.1.1 Is it possible to burn CD’s from 24-bit audio files that I can play on a regular CD player?

A: Yes, but only if you convert the 24-bit files to 16-bit files and master an audio CD. There is no way to make a CD-R with 24-bit native audio that will play in a regular CD player. The closest thing that comes to this is the Alesis Masterlink CD 24-bit CD recorder.
    This is from here: http://www.24bitfaq.org/#Q5_1_1

While this source may be a bit dated, I suspect it is still accurate. 24 bit, 48 kHz is the standard for dvd. I don't know if you would have any success trying that route. Just recently heard about DTS which is supposedly a multi-channel cd encoding format. It may well support 24 bit encoding. You might find more information about that here: http://www.greatgig.com/quad/quadcd.htm

You could create a data cd with 24 bit wave or ape files but if you were looking for something you could play on a standard cd player, I am not sure a 24 bit cd would be playable if you could create it.

HDCD (which I believe stands for High Definition CD) is reportedly 24 bit but it looks like even this process may encode to 16 bit when transferred to cd and require special equipment to replay it as 24 bit quality (see: http://www.hdcd.com/partners/tech_partners/HDCD_ICs.pdf)

I'd be glad to hear other's input on this, as this is the result of relatively little research on this issue.

Best wishes,
    Bill mikkelsen

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

I will note it down as a bug to be looked at.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• CESS
        • Jun 2002

Hi,
        Is this the same thing that some original cd's named "24 bit re-mastered" which I have?, or these are "24 bit" re-mastered and formatted to 16bit, when putting into a cd?.
        The other question is; I cannot write audio cd's with 5.1 files. Means I want to create Super-Audio Cd (SA-CD). I can convert to 5.1 using converter but I caanot write.
        Thanks for your help

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by CESS
          Hi,
          Is this the same thing that some original cd's named "24 bit re-mastered" which I have?, or these are "24 bit" re-mastered and formatted to 16bit, when putting into a cd?.
          The other question is; I cannot write audio cd's with 5.1 files. Means I want to create Super-Audio Cd (SA-CD). I can convert to 5.1 using converter but I caanot write.
          Thanks for your help
          Apparently the SA-CD format will not be burned by regular cd burners (hardware and software-wise), rather by DVD burners. The SA-CD itself cannot be played in a regular cd player, but the SA-DA layer on a DVD presumably can. The dBpowerAMP CD Writer does not handle any DVD technology yet.

Comment

• slaterson
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by ChristinaS
            Apparently the SA-CD format will not be burned by regular cd burners (hardware and software-wise), rather by DVD burners. The SA-CD itself cannot be played in a regular cd player, but the SA-DA layer on a DVD presumably can. The dBpowerAMP CD Writer does not handle any DVD technology yet.
            hmmmm... i just got a new dvd player that also plays super audio cds. i have an audience recording of a concert recorded at 24 bit, 48 khz. anything out there that will burn this as 24 bit? and if so, what media? standard cdr? dvd+-r? something completely different?

thanks,
            slate

Comment

Working...

]]>