title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Yarr! I'm Back

Thumbs up Yarr! I'm Back

I'm back after a year and a half break!
    Not that anyone will be bothered, but i'm now going to sort out my powerbars pack 2. This has over 200 power bars!
    ill post soon with more info

On other matters:
    This forum has grown loads! seems like lots of users are now posting, which is great!

And:
    i read in a beta info page about dmc r11 that you will have to pay to get mp3 encoding. since lame is free, is this really what it seems? if this is true, i think dmc will lose most of its users.

Re: Yarr! I'm Back

first of all welcome back...

read more about the payings - lame is free but they are going to charge the usage of mp3 as a patent... and dmc being the n0 1 on download.com, of course it's high on their list

Re: Yarr! I'm Back

Welcome back!

To clarify a bit as to what Donny was explaining, the issue arises from the holder of the patents for mp3 technology requesting royalties from Spoon for the use of mp3 technologies within dBpowerAMP. dBpowerAMP is not the first, last or only audio program to be confronted with such a request. The patent holder's legal reasoning is that even though the program uses open-source mp3 codecs that they, as patent holder for the underlying technology, have a right to royalties for the use of their technology. For a bit more background you might want to refer to this thread here:
    http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=5399 and to the link there to the discussion of this issue on the hydrogenaudio forum.

Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

PS Looking forward to those fun bars!