title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: mp3 to M3U

Unregistered

mp3 to M3U

Is there any encodes for "dBpowerAMP Music Converter" to convert mp3 to M3U?

Re: mp3 to M3U

m3u is a playlist file. It is essentially a text file that references the audio files that compose the playlist-where they are located and the order in which they are to be played. dBpowerAMP Music Converter cannot create an m3u file. You can create an m3u playlist with the Playlist Editor feature of dBpowerAMP Audio Player (or dAP) but I believe Windows Media Player, WinAmp, MusicMatch or most other audio players can do the same.
    I do not do much work with playlists and I have not tried burning m3u files using dB CD Writer (you would need the current beta version to be able to do this).

Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Create a text file, edit it using Notepad, write the full path of each mp3 file including the file extension, one per line, and save that file with an m3u extension (as type All files). You can skip the path if your m3u file is in the same folder as all the mp3 files that are included in the m3u file.

This is the simplest form of m3u file. WMP will create it as well, but it will also use a few other parameters there. They are not necessary in the normal usage.

is there any possible way i cud convert the M3U file so it would work on my ipod or a cD?

Quote Originally Posted by dieselmarik
    is there any possible way i cud convert the M3U file so it would work on my ipod or a cD?
    Did you read higher up? .m3u is just a text file of links to actual mp3 files. You have to get those separate files yourself from wherever they are, or else you can't do anything except listen to them streamed off the internet.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast brandonjp's Avatar

I've been wanting to find an easy way to incorporate a feature like this into dMC - basically a way select files then to create an m3u playist of those - all using the dMC context menu...i started, but am rusty on my programming/problem solving. My idea was to create a new "codec" essentially that would create a text file then name it .m3u -- if anyone else has done this, or thinks a different way would be more suited to the task then let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by brandonjp
    I've been wanting to find an easy way to incorporate a feature like this into dMC - basically a way select files then to create an m3u playist of those - all using the dMC context menu...i started, but am rusty on my programming/problem solving. My idea was to create a new "codec" essentially that would create a text file then name it .m3u -- if anyone else has done this, or thinks a different way would be more suited to the task then let me know.
    I use a dos batch file.

Call it makem3u.bat:

Code:
    dir *.mp3 /B > my.m3u
    This I place in the folder where I need to pick up the files and just execute it. Of course it picks up all mp3 files and puts the list in a file called my.m3u .

There must be lots of other ways too, but I'm sort of old .... school :D

You'd probably find more useful tools in MMC, but I personally don't use it.

It occurs to me that dMC Audiio CD can create an m3u file for the tracks extracted from an audio cd . You get that from the Powerpack button.

--- LATER ---

Check the program Playlist.exe from the dbpoweramp folder. It operates on a file called username.Playlist.m3u. I recognize that program as a module from dAP. I think you can do something with it.
    Last edited by ChristinaS; 01-30-2005 at 10:46 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast brandonjp's Avatar

grr...i've tried, i've been frustrated, but the problem is, i'm a novice - also wanted to apologize if i shouldn't be continuing this thread since it's evolved into something for a different category

if someone knows that this for sure WON'T work then do let me know...
    i'm trying to create what would essentially start from a generic CLI codec, you would select files in windows explorer like always, then from the "convert to" menu choose my new playlist 'codec' that would run a batch/cmd script that creates a text file list of your selected filenames, then saves it as an .m3u file (ideally it'd have other options like .xml, .pls, or just .txt and then in the far future a 'randomize' feature) - it seems simple enough in my head, but i've frustrated myself

overall it's not that important because it's not something i'll use consistently, nevertheless it drives me nuts that i can't beat it!!
    --bp

dBpoweramp Enthusiast iTunesIsEvil's Avatar

I'm guessing you could do something like this in MSVC++:
    Code:

*include <iostream>
    *include <string>
    *include <fstream>

using namespace std;

int main(string[] args) {
    	ofstream outfile("yourList.m3u");

for (int i = 0; i < args.length; i++) {
    		outfile << args[i] << "\n";
            }

return 0;
    }
    That was off the top of my head, and I havnt used C++ in quite a little while, but i dont see why it wouldnt work really, though i havnt tested it so maybe it would crap out... let me know though...

EDIT: Actually, this is just the simple coding for an app that you could put in the "Open With" tray... I'm not too up on how to write a codec, though I imagine that it can't be too tough to put something like this in the codecs list in the dMC. I'm sure theres something in the coding/development part of the site. GOOD LUCK!!

EDIT(2): Hmmm.... dMC wants a DLL, so I'd have to look into how to create a DLL. I've gotten used to C* lately, and I know one can build a DLL, I'm just not sure how to... and I really have no clue if the logic is now going to look like that at all. I dunno because I don't really mess with writing those bastards.
    Last edited by iTunesIsEvil; 02-21-2005 at 03:25 PM.