title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Converting Real Audio to MP3 (fast)

FriedEggs

Post Converting Real Audio to MP3 (fast)

See here:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-ra.htm

===============================================

An answer, not a query:

I download lots of Real Audio streams (.ra files) using Net Transport, and listen to them on my MP3 player. So I need a quick and easy way to convert .ra -> .mp3. Speed is more important than quality.

I have played around with the following: dmc (too slow); Streambox Ripper (poor quality); various rubbish off the web (mostly slow, poor quality and not free). Finally, after a week of joining up random bits of software, I've come with an answer that works for me, is simple to use and doesn't involve paying any money.

Note that this only works for Real Audio and Real Media <b>files</b>. It won't work for Real Audio streams (rstp:// urls) or .ram files (which are usually pointers to urls). You need to download the stream to your computer first (e.g. with Net Transport).

The scheme is thus:
    Real Audio -> RA codec -> DirectShow Splitter -> WinAmp -> gogo -> MP3!

So you will need <b>all</b> of the following:

Real Alternative 1.27 (full version with the Real Media Splitter) from http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/finalbuilds.htm
    WinAmp (I use 2.95, but I see no reason why v5 shouldn't work).
    boita's Gogo MP3 Wrapper 1.25 Winamp output plugin from http://www.muratasystem.or.jp/~boita/index-e.html
    Gogo-no-coda 3.13 MP3 encoder from http://www.rarewares.org/mp3.html

Install all the software in the order given above.
    Put the out_gogo.dll plugin in the Winamp\plugins directory and the gogo.dll library in the Winamp directory.

If you want to check that the Real Media Splitter is working, try opening a Real Audio file in Windows Media Player. WMP may complain about the extension, but it should play the file anyway.

In Winamp do the following:
    1) Configure the DirectShow input plugin to work for Real Audio / Real Media by adding ';RA;RM' onto the end of extension list. You might want to now load and play a Real Audio file to check.
    2) Set the output to boita's MP3 plugin. Configure the plugin to set the MP3 settings. For max speed I leave the encoding at CBR 128 and turn OFF psycho-acoustics and turn ON all the extensions your CPU will permit. Other options for renaming etc are up to you.
    3) Open a Real Audio file and press play. You should see the timer wizz up and an MP3 file plop out whereever you set the plugin to put it. On my P3, I get conversion speeds around x25.

Once it's working you can queue up as many Real Audio files as you like in WinAmp and watch it speed through them.

I note that there are input plugins for Winamp that allow it play Real Audio over rstp. However they either didn't play the audio through Winamp (and thus couldn't be recorded) or they froze up when the recording started.

I tried the same procedure using a Lame output plugin, but the speeds were disappointing (x4 to x6).
    Last edited by Spoon; 01-26-2006 at 03:29 PM.

Re: Converting Real Audio to MP3 (fast)

Hi,

I tried this solution and it works perfectly.

Many thanks

Using Winamp works great for converting Real Audio files to MP3s - and fast as claimed by Fried Eggs. But his installation routine requires a modification to work properly with the latest version 5.08 of Winamp.

To play Real Audio files in Winamp, reconfiguring the DirectShow input as described by Fried Eggs won't work. Don't do it. I think that's what kept Winamp from working properly with Real files.

Instead just download and install the "Tara Audio Video Plug-in" for Winamp. You can find it in the Plug-in page at www.winamp.com. Once you download, just click on the exe file to install. Now Winamp will play Real files.

After that follow Fried Egg's instructions regarding the Gogo MP3 Wrapper and Gogo encoder and setup of outpu to the Boita gogo plug-in. I found this to work to a tee.

I seem to be having a problem with putting the codecs in the right directories. (I also hope that I configured the output properly, but I believe I did...) I can get RA files to play in WMP, but I can't get them to play in Winamp, and thus they won't convert to MP3. I have the Tara plugin, and it seems to be in the right place, but it's the gogo-no-coda 3.13 that I don't know where to put or how to do it. Any suggestions would be really helpful! Thanks for your time!

Fried eggs is amazing.
    I have been searching for an answer to this problem for ages and couldn't believe that there wasn't an answer that worked faster than actual time.

It all worked fine for me and I didn't use the "Tara Audio Video Plug-in" suggested by others.

Thankyou.

Now I have got all my real media into a replayable format, Can anyone suggest a free MP3 splitter that esily splits say 1 hour MP3s into 10 minute sub-Mp3s, but also can allow say a 15 second overlap?

Alternatively, you can install Real Alternative, making sure to install the RealAudio DirectShow Splitter or something, and install the beta dMC DirectShow Decoder.

Question Re: Converting Real Audio to MP3 (fast)

I followed all the instructions. Winamp will play RM and RA files great. But when I switch to BOITA output, nothing happens - but nothing.

Any clues would be appreciated.

Can someone give a detailed step by step account on how to do this?
    I would LOVE to be able to convert Real Media to mp3 and/or wav.

To convert Real Media files with dMC you will need to do the following:

1. Install Real Alternative
    2. Install the DirectShow filter from codec central.
    3. Configure the DirectShow filter to recognise Real Media files (e.g. *.ra, *.rm, *.ram)
    4. Launch the dMC Configuration program and click OK (so that it recognises your changes to the DirectShow config file.

Wayne

When I download the boita's Gogo MP3 Wrapper 1.25, automatically ownloads as a winamp file. It does not have th extension of dll to it. How can I properly get teh dll file to put into the Plug-in directory.

I tried that as well using DBPoweramp with the direct show splitter and it works very well execpt for some.ra files, mostly recent ones like the recent "this Amrican World" radio shows. I have now idea why there is a problem but i had to figure another way to convert them and after googling for a while I figured that Linux and Macintosh people were able to do that using mplayer and the lame encoder. I tried on windows + cygwin and it works very nicelly and in a way you can batch it. I wrote a tutorial yesterday to explain how to do it step by step : http://www.digital-atheist.com/tutorials.html .
    Last edited by ChristinaS; 11-13-2005 at 02:44 PM. Reason: poster mistyped url

That site's webmaster has got some nerve! :vmad:

I get this as soon as I visit:
    We see you're using Internet Explorer, which is not compatible with this site. We strongly suggest downloading Firefox. We think you'll like it better:

· Firefox blocks pop-up windows.
    · It's more secure against viruses and spyware.
    · It keeps Microsoft from controlling the future of the internet.
    · It's better for web designers and developers.
    · Features like tabbed browsing make reading webpages easier.

Click the button on the right to download Firefox. It's free.

Continue without Firefox >>
    This is a load of crock and whoever concocted this site had better fix his geeky thinking or risk losing visitors in droves. He's lost me. Suddenly I have no further interest in that site.

If he cannot make a site that works properly in IE as well as in other browsers he better go back to school and learn how. There is no excuse for a site not working properly in IE whatsoever except webmaster laziness and ignorance. But most of all this is an attitude which is astronomically presumptuous. :thumbdown

He's actually using a publicly available script: explorerdestroyer.com.
    People, this is one of THE worst available ways to convert people to Firefox. Tell them the advantages, say that its gaining market share, then move on. I agree with Christina, there are better sites for me to find this on than that Firefox-only website. Purposefully cutting off one browser is a BAD idea, people. Anyone remember the incident with Opera and MSN's website?

I think its a matter of him only wanting Firefox people on his website. Way to cut off the majority of the Internet. Two thumbs wayyyy down. :thumbdown :vmad: :thumbdown

Edit: OK, so you can click a button to continue without Firefox. Still the wrong way to convert people.

Blood pressure went up. Didn't click. Won't click either, can't be bothered :D

I design websites. I go overboard trying to make them operate as perfectly as possible in all the blasted browsers out there that I can test in. I've been tempted very often not to bother to cater to Firefox or Opera when I've had difficulty adapting what works perfectly in IE and miserbaly (or not at all) in FF or Opera. I have ended up figuring out how to handle differences in an acceptable manner. Yes, it's more work. But it's a reality of the internet and it's overwhelmingly in favor if catering to IE users, not the other way around.

Man, I have many problems! I should start with this one: My friend downloaded me some rax music files. But i dont know how to play them in Real player. Real player must download some speciffic kind of software but, it must be registered. Well, i dont have an Visa card for that. Can u help me, and tell me some other, free way to hear these rax files?!