title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Help!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

Help!!!

Just got on the music bandwagon! My husband purchased a sony ericsson phone which we have connected via usb to the computer. He has downloaded some songs from music sites but they download in wma format. Can someone please advise me what I need to download and what I need to do to convert these files to either mp3 or MIDI files as the phone will not recognise the wma format.I have downloaded the dBpowerAMP Music converter but im still at a standstill. I'm sure there is something else that I should be doing but i just don;t know Any help would be most appreciated

Sally
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: Help!!!

To convert your wma files with dBpowerAMP Music Converter (or dMC) you will need either Windows Media Player version 9 or version 10 OR you will need to download and install the Windows Media v9 system files from Codec Central (link at the top of the page) and then you need to download the WMA v9 codec (also from Codec Central) and install it and restart your computer. Then you can convert your downloaded wma files to mp3 at whatever settings are appropriate to your phone.

dMC will not convert to midi (which technically is to digital music reproduction what sheet music is to live music reproduction-you would not expect to convert sheet music directly to compact disc and similarly you really shouldn't expect to convert from midi to or from mp3). For a clearer and more informative explanation of this topic see the post from ChristinaS. (#22) on this thread here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...?t=2424&page=2

If you run into any problems, please feel free to ask for help.
    Good luck and best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Unregistered
      Just got on the music bandwagon! My husband purchased a sony ericsson phone which we have connected via usb to the computer. He has downloaded some songs from music sites but they download in wma format. Can someone please advise me what I need to download and what I need to do to convert these files to either mp3 or MIDI files as the phone will not recognise the wma format.I have downloaded the dBpowerAMP Music converter but im still at a standstill. I'm sure there is something else that I should be doing but i just don;t know Any help would be most appreciated

Sally
      Which Sony Ericsson phone do you have? I have a z200 and have so far not found information on the file format it accepts for ringtones nor even how a file transfer should be attempted. I have many midi files some of which I'd love to have as ringtones on my phone but Sony Ericsson replied to my enquiries that it could not be done, only their ringtones could be downloaded to the phone by their own wap system - which is not what I want or need. I of course have not located a suitable program that can even access my phone yet. I am in the process of reading up from various forums on what the possibilities may be there.

Comment

• Unregistered

Dear Christina
        My husband purchased a p900 Sony Ericsson which is one of their latest phones. I'm not sure about z200 i'm sorry. The p900 is not just a phone it also has many extra's like infared and modem capabilities and this is how we transfer our files. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
        regards

Sally

Dear Bill

Thanks so much for your info. I'm about to do as you suggested.

Regards

Sally+

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Unregistered
          Dear Christina
          My husband purchased a p900 Sony Ericsson which is one of their latest phones. I'm not sure about z200 i'm sorry. The p900 is not just a phone it also has many extra's like infared and modem capabilities and this is how we transfer our files. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
          regards

Sally
          Aha, thanks Sally! I knew I'd done something wrong when I simply went for looks in a phone :D

I have finally acquired a data cable for mine and I'll be exploring it as seen from my PC - if I get to see anything!

Comment

Working...

]]>