title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Waaah! Spam attack!

Re: Waaah! Spam attack!

Interesting!

But then look who else was trying to spam the forum just now too :D

dBpoweramp Guru

at least in that case google is a friend. it must trigger those reply links because i have yet to see google actuall reply. it would be a buz though if google actualy did reply saying "just poped in to spider your site, bye" :D

Quote Originally Posted by Razgo
    at least in that case google is a friend. it must trigger those reply links because i have yet to see google actuall reply. it would be a buz though if google actualy did reply saying "just poped in to spider your site, bye" :D
    One of these days it might leave a calling card, wouldn't that be a hoot! :D

Spam attack again today! :vmad:

Can't somebody do something to block this? It must be a bot posting all that crap. The IP addresss banning won't work if it keeps changing through proxies.

Is there a robots.txt file in the root folder for the forum? But probably fat chance it will obey those directives :(

Administrator

I have put an abuse report into:

http://www.verio.net/contact/

The spamming IP Address is:

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon
    I have put an abuse report into:

http://www.verio.net/contact/

The spamming IP Address is:

Welcome back, Spoon.

There are still 2 posts remaining in the forum from this latest spam attack, you may do a search on the name of that notorious drug used to anchor the hyperlink. It looks like somebody's perfected a program to do these posts :(

I wonder if you can anticipate the next attack and block usage of certain words by putting them in the restricted list, just like swear words- they seem to be using very widely advertised drugs that people would search the net for. Maybe we can figure out a list of such terms.

dBpoweramp Guru

Another attack happening 4 minutes ago.

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...8354*post28354

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Angry Re: Waaah! Spam attack!

Yes, been cleaning up. Again, I can't clean all forums so someone else will have to finish the job. Christina's idea about blocking specific terms is good.

Sadly there are a lot of automated spamming scripts out there - many of them target the comment boxes on blogs. I've had to install special blacklisting software on mine to ensure it stays spam free.

dBpoweramp Guru

i just put a ban/block on

The IP Address is: 64.19.80.100. The host name is: filtering.westelcom.com.

we see how that goes.

the only solution is to make this forum so you have to register and log in to post. it's that simple. no messing around and if it occurs with someone who has registered i can just delete all posts by that registered user in one swoop. why mess around trying to figure out words to block etc? this is an official support forum which in reality should require registration. and as i said before you simply have one forum for unregistered/guests to post in. whats the big deal having to register to gain support? it is really simple and easy.

Administrator

See how it goes.

These spammers do forum flooding so that search engines pick up a link to their site on various sites and gives their site higher ranking in google.

Any more and registration will go on.

Administrator

The only forum not hit is Rioworld

well it would be time now to put it obligatory... I know that we then make it a bit harder for people, but there were just too much attacks in this short time.... sad really sad :(

Harder? Not really. Sure, they'll have to register first, big deal, but then a whole world of goodies opens up to them . They can do proper searches, not lose track of their posts and the replies, private messages, well, all the things that go with registration.

Don't forget, spamming techniques are getting more and more sophisticated every day. Lately we've seen a rush of this stuff, pretty soon there might be a real flood. Besides the headache to clean this up, it's a real pain to figure out what new posts there might be, when all they are is selling drugs or whatever it is they sell. It doesn't help anybody when their posts become obliterated by this stuff, registered users and guests alike.

It's like finally locking your car doors or your house after years of leaving them unlocked. Just can't afford to do it any more in this day and age.

dBpoweramp Guru

well from an admin point of view it is really easy to control spam posters when they are logged in and registered. i can delete 300 spam posts with one click of the button when the spammer is registered. there is no actually looking for posts to delete accept to identify the first one as spam before i delete them all from behind the scenes. it is only a pain when it is an unregistered user is spamming.

Exclamation Re: Waaah! Spam attack!

Holy smokes! This one actually registered! http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=6349

The cheek! :vmad: