title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

wma codec

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • das[ITA]

wma codec

I have some problem with a file that seams to be a Windows Media Audio V2 64 kbps, 32 kHz, stereo and its extension is .wav
    I can't read it with your converter
    I downloaded all WMA codecs, but I can't read it
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: wma codec

Originally posted by das[ITA]
    I have some problem with a file that seams to be a Windows Media Audio V2 64 kbps, 32 kHz, stereo and its extension is .wav
    I can't read it with your converter
    I downloaded all WMA codecs, but I can't read it
    Did you try to change the extension to wma?

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

What tells you it is wma? rather than a wave file?
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2002

This appears to be a compressed wav file (judging from the fact that Windows Media Audio V2 appears as an option if you select the Comprerssed option for Wav and these settings appear to be available). In early attempts, I have not been able to create such a file so I am not entirely sure about whether or how it can be decoded in Music Converter (dMC).

My advice at this point would be to see if you can test convert it. If that fails I would see if setting your Wav codec to the same settings as this file (Windows Media Audio V2, 64 kbs, 32 khz, stereo), exit and try another test conversion.

In the meantime I will tinker around as time allows to see if I can create and then decode such a file. It might be useful to know what you want to do with this file (play it, convert it and if converting then to what format and settings).

Best wishes,
        Bill mikkelsen
        Last edited by xoas; 10-22-2004, 11:16 PM.

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

I see. I tried to create a file like that and, while the option is there under Wave and compressed, the conversion fails.

I started with a regular 16-bit, 44.1KHz, 2-channel stereo wav. Tried to convert to compressed wave under Windows Media V2 format, 64kbps, 32KHz, stereo (both with 7 bit and audio/video options). Failed with the message "The CODEC required to compress 'C:\Converted Music\not used\blah-blah.wav' could not be opened.". I was careful to write the output to a different folder from the original, so as not to destroy my original file.

Then I converted my original 44.1KHz wav to uncompressed 32KHz wav just in case. Repeated the conversion step to the compressed wav. Same result.

No DSP effects were being used.

Th error concerns the compression codec, since the original wav file (both the one at 44.1KHz and the one at 32KHz are fine and a test conversion is perfect).

The conversion settings are as in the attached picture.

Comment

• das[ITA]

Re: Re: wma codec

Well, I changed the extension to .wma but I couldn't convert the file.
            It is a compressed wav file because I can open it with the windows recorder (and it says that it is a Windows Media Audio V2 64 kbps, 32 kHz, stereo).

I can play it with the Windows Media Player, but I want to open it with a editing application, such as Audacity or Nero Wave. So I have to convert it to a 44100 kHz file.

I tested conversion but test failed; I changed Wave Output Format but conversion failed; message of error is:
            The CODEC required to decompress 'F:\Documenti\file1.wav' could not be opened.
            ACM Codec Not Installed 'UnKnown 353'

Please tell me a way to convert it

Comment

• xoas
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2002

Since test conversion will not work, Music Converter does not have a codec that will read your file. So a regular conversion using Music Converter will not work.
              Since you can play the file, you can record the file as you play it in Windows Media Player using dB Auxilary Input (which is a separate downloaded component for Music Converter unless you have the most recent beta version of Music Converter). The instructions for this procedure can be found here (although this discusses recording midi files, the procedure is the same):
              this was a post made by "Burn Baby Burn". HOW TO CONVERT A MIDI FILE TO A .WAV FILE Configure dMC to convert MIDI to WAVE: 1. Open dMC Auxiliary Input. 2. Click "Options". This opens the "dMC - Options" window. 3. Under "Input Source", click the "Select" button.

Best wishes,
              Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• ChristinaS
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2004

Well, the ACM codec is mentioned in the error code. I did a Google search on that http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...-8&q=ACM+codec and got a bunch of entries regarding this.

Comment

• das[ITA]

Originally posted by xoas
                  Since test conversion will not work, Music Converter does not have a codec that will read your file. So a regular conversion using Music Converter will not work.
                  Since you can play the file, you can record the file as you play it in Windows Media Player using dB Auxilary Input (which is a separate downloaded component for Music Converter unless you have the most recent beta version of Music Converter). The instructions for this procedure can be found here (although this discusses recording midi files, the procedure is the same):
                  this was a post made by "Burn Baby Burn". HOW TO CONVERT A MIDI FILE TO A .WAV FILE Configure dMC to convert MIDI to WAVE: 1. Open dMC Auxiliary Input. 2. Click "Options". This opens the "dMC - Options" window. 3. Under "Input Source", click the "Select" button.

Best wishes,
                  Bill Mikkelsen

The file I have to convert has a length of two hours

Comment

• das[ITA]

Originally posted by ChristinaS
                    Well, the ACM codec is mentioned in the error code. I did a Google search on that http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...-8&q=ACM+codec and got a bunch of entries regarding this.

Do you men that I must see all these entries?

Comment

• ChristinaS
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Apr 2004

The time it will take you to find a more automated way to convert is surely going to be longer than 2 hours :smile2:

You've got to know when to throw in the towel I think.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by das[ITA]
                        Do you men that I must see all these entries?
                        Well, you've got the file and you know what you want to do with it. I don't have such a file so I can't relate to your problem first hand.

If you are intent on automating the conversion, I'm afraid you got to do your own research and experimentations too. Otherwise the best we seem to be able to come up with is dMC Auxiliary Input. It's sort of a take it or leave it situation at this point, don't you think? :D

Comment

• xoas
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Apr 2002

I doubt that recording the track using Auxilary Input is going to require two hours of your attention.

I can't create such a file, I don't have such a file, and my research has not been any more fruitful than ChristinaS.' So I am not hopeful that much more research on my part will be helpful.

There are 3 other possibilities I can advise.

If you can tell us anything about where the file came from (what program created it, using what settings) this might help us help you find a resolution if one exists.

You might be able to burn your track to cd and rerip it from there to whatever format and setting you wish.

Or you can wait and hope that there is a user who will come along who is more knowledgeable about these sorts of files.

Best wishes,
                          Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• ChristinaS
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Apr 2004

A two-hour audio cd track? Hmmmm.... maybe on a DVD!

Maybe a wave editor may help break the file into smaller files. Try Audacity from http://audacity.sourceforge.net/windows.php , maybe it will work.

---- And then again, it seems that Audacity does not work for this :(

Comment

• ChristinaS
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Apr 2004

Just how big is this file anway?

If it's less than 1GB (it had better be!) you can "email" it to one of us using www.yousendit.com so we can take a crack at it.

Comment

Working...

]]>