title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: my .wma files are encrypted?

Banned

my .wma files are encrypted?

awwww. so does that mean i cant convert them to mp3?

Re: my .wma files are encrypted?

You will have to use Auxilary Input to copy your files. Instructions here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=5362

Quote Originally Posted by lucky
    awwww. so does that mean i cant convert them to mp3?
    Errrr.... sort of, yes, at least not if they don't actually belong to you.

If they belong to you and you have the original licenses, you can use WIndows Media PLayer to burn an audio cd with them and then rip that cd back to whatever format you like including mp3 using dMC Audio CD Input.

If the burning of the audio cd doesn't work because you don't have the rights to the files, then there are few other options.

There's this program that unlocks wma files, and I'm going to try to attach it here as a zip file, though this may not work.

The catch from what I see is that it will always produce a resulting wma file at 64kbps, 2-ch stereo, 44.1KHz, regardless of what it started out with.

Also, since I have no protected wma files myself, I don't know if it will work on them, though this is what it's really supposed to be for.

Ahem.... the original name of the program is not actually unlockwma.exe, but I cannot write it here myself. You'll see what it is once you start using it.

I don't know if newer versions of this program exist anywhere. As it is the site where this came from has changed so I could no longer find this. I had it on my machine from some time ago when I visited that site.

Since it was originally written in 1999, it's possible it may not handle all the kinds of DRM that may have been used on various wma files.

Also, keep in mind that I might not be allowed to post this file here for download, in which case it may soon get deleted by the forum admin, assuming I can even upload it.
    Last edited by ChristinaS; 01-27-2005 at 04:55 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LtData
    You will have to use Auxilary Input to copy your files. Instructions here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=5362
    Just a trivial tip. Have both the Auxilliary Input and your player windows open at less than full-screen. That way, you can view them both at the same time as you play/record, instead of having to switch back and forth.
    Arnie

Quote Originally Posted by ChristinaS
    The catch from what I see is that it will always produce a resulting wma file at 64kbps, 2-ch stereo, 44.1KHz, regardless of what it started out with.

I don't know if newer versions of this program exist anywhere. As it is the site where this came from has changed so I could no longer find this. I had it on my machine from some time ago when I visited that site.
    Here's a workaround for the 64kkbps problem:
    Open Unf*ck
    Drag protected file in
    Wait for .ini file to appear
    Close program
    Open .ini file and change bitrate
    Save new .ini file
    Right click on .ini file and choose 'read only'
    Apply and ok
    restart process

http://members.home.nl/icq99/unf*ck/index2.htm
    (Replace * with u)
    Though I suspect development died years ago...

OK, I replaced the .ini file in my original zip attachment with one which is read-only, with a bit rate set at 256kbps.

If that's not right, then modify the properties of the .ini file to remove the read-only attribute, edit it in Noteopad, change that default bit rate, save and reapply the read-only attribute.

Oh, and the path to where the resulting file should go is set to c:\converted music. Change that if it's not right for you.