title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Odd Sampling Rates Will Not Convert_Why Not?

Odd Sampling Rates Will Not Convert_Why Not?

Hello,

I often get these kinds of error messages in the error log dbpoweramp provides at the end of a process where I'm converting a folder of wavs to mono:

The CODEC required to compress 'C:\...\Whistle\whistle.wav.TEMP.wav' could not be opened.

It's not an ogg vorbis problem, I have that codec installed.

I notice that the problem wavs that dbpoweramp cannot handle are almost always wavs that are of an unconventional sampling rate (for example 8,123Hz, etc)

Other resamplers I've tried cannot handle the ogg vorbis wavs in batch processes like dbpoweramp nicely does.

What can I do so that even these odd sampling rate wavs will convert to 44,100Hz mono with dbpoweramp?

Thank you,

Frew

Re: Odd Sampling Rates Will Not Convert_Why Not?

Quote Originally Posted by frew
    Hello,

I often get these kinds of error messages in the error log dbpoweramp provides at the end of a process where I'm converting a folder of wavs to mono:

The CODEC required to compress 'C:\...\Whistle\whistle.wav.TEMP.wav' could not be opened.

It's not an ogg vorbis problem, I have that codec installed.

I notice that the problem wavs that dbpoweramp cannot handle are almost always wavs that are of an unconventional sampling rate (for example 8,123Hz, etc)

Other resamplers I've tried cannot handle the ogg vorbis wavs in batch processes like dbpoweramp nicely does.

What can I do so that even these odd sampling rate wavs will convert to 44,100Hz mono with dbpoweramp?

Thank you,

Frew
    Use dMC Auxiliary Input and record from your sound card as you play the file in whaetver player plays it.

Unregistered

poly

Thank you Christina,

But I'm afraid that would take a long, long time to record every wav that I want to convert.

I'm dealing with hundreds of wav files that are of odd sampling rates like 11,254Hz, and 22,893Hz, etc. and I need to get these all converted to mono, but dbpoweramp is not able to convert these odd sampling rate problem wavs.

If I resample them to 44,100Hz with another audio tool, then dbpoweramp will convert them, but by the time I do that resampling, I might as well use the other audio tool to do the conversion to mono too.

What I'm hoping for is to find a solution so that I can get dbpoweramp to deal with these odd sample rate wavs, so I can use dbpoweramp alone to do all my converting to mono...but as it is now, dbpoweramp is not able to deal with these odd sample rate wavs.

Is there any codec that can be used with dbpoweramp that will enble dbpoweramp to deal with these odd sample rate wavs that it often runs into when I do batch conversion to mono processes with dbpoweramp?

Thank you,

Frew
    Last edited by frew; 10-21-2004 at 05:49 PM.

Did you try just a test Conversion in dMC (no actual codec selected) for these files?

Are they suffixed by wav yet they are Ogg Vorbis? have you tried to rename them to an .ogg suffix instead of .wav?

If they are not Ogg Vorbis files as I thought I understood, and in fact they are wav files, what created them, just out of curiosity?

Can you burn them to audio cd using any burning software at all? Because if you can, I think that automatically converts the output to cd quality - i.e. 44.1KHz, 16-bit, 2-channel stereo. Then you can rip them back to whatever you want them to be, including mono.
    Last edited by ChristinaS; 10-21-2004 at 08:07 PM.

I think there are some steps Frew can take, if he has not done so already, to improve his success with these conversions. It would be extremely helpful to know, however, to know about the types of files he is converting (are they .wav files, are they PCM wav files, what is the bit setting, what number of channels do they have) and the type of files he is trying to create (wav or Ogg, number of bits, bitrate-if Ogg).

It would also be helpful to know whether the same files consistently fail to convert or whether any one of these files may sometimes convert or sometimes fail to convert.

Even without knowing this there are a few suggestions, although Frew may have already taken some or all of these steps:
    1. Enable Professional Frequency Conversion (set in the dMC Configuration window);
    2. See if some or any of these files will fail to test convert;
    3. If there are files that will test convert, try seeing if you can convert one at a time to your desired output;
    4. You may need to perform an intermediate conversion first say first converting format to wav at the same settings as the source file and then to wav at 44.1 khz and mono;
    5. Try to assure that the files being converted in any batch have similar characteristics (bit setting, number of channels, bitrates, PCM vs. non-PCM, format-bwf mp2 files will show as wav files but play as mp2/mp3 files, both will show on the tag, convert these as a separate batch). I have seen cases where batch conversions of dissimilar files will run into problems and this really does look like that kind of situation.

So try these out. Let us know whether any of these measures is helpful. Let us know what you have tried and, if you need further assistance, please send on what information you can about your source files and desired output files as outlined in the first two paragraphs above.

Good luck and best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Thank you Christina
    Thank you Xoas
    for your kind consideration of my problem.

I do not have dMC (what is that?) I have dbpoweramp music converter, and it works great to do most of my soundfile conversions.

Here are some more details you requested:

I'm trying to convert to regular .wav 16 bit 44,100Hz, mono

Yes, I received "conversion complete" when I did test conversion(no actual codec)

file extension is .wav

PCM 16 bit mono

Unusual sample rate of 25,556Hz (that's the only odd distinguishing characteristic I notice about this wav...and of all the other wavs that do not convert...odd rates like 8,235Hz, 30,467 Hz, these are the kind dbpoweramp does not convert for me)

It consistently does not convert to 44,100 Hz (I use this wav as an example even though it is already mono...it should convert to 44,100Hz if I configure dbpoweramp to do so)

wav size 11kb

uncompressed (ie not an ogg vorbis wav)

With my current test, I did this test with only one file...just this one file used in the test, no others
    (although when I try to convert folders with a few hundred wavs, often about 10 to 20 or so of these odd sample rate wavs will not be processed by dbpoweramp..and their filenames show up in the error log at end of conversion process)

I did the test where I creat a new destination folder, and also a test where I have it overwrite the existing file (ie to the same folder as the source file)...neither method works

the file is not corrupt..it plays in any media player

I think it's a matter of dbpoweramp simply not being able to deal with the unusual sample rate of the wav perhaps

Here's the error message I get at the end of dbpoweramp's attempt to convert:

The CODEC required to compress 'C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\TEST TEST TEST\Maraca_unusual_sample_rate.wav.TEMP.wav' could not be opened.(What codec might that be? Can I get it here?) (And why does it say "to compress", when I'm not compressing, rather I'm converting to another uncompressed format...ie 16 bit, 44,100Hz, mono?)

I do not want to have to go the route of burning to CD just to convert to mono if I don't have to. I do not want to get in that habit.

Thank you for any other ideas on this.

Frew

EDIT:
    To my surprise, just now this same wav did convert ot 22,050Hz 16 bit mono and that's the only uncompressed wav format it will convert to...not to any other Hz and not to any other bit....now what's going on there I wonder? And the sound result is just white noise, clearly not a maraca. Thank you.
    Last edited by frew; 10-22-2004 at 12:21 AM.

So your source file, do I understand it is wav (as far as you know), 16 bit, 25556 hz PCM mono file and its file size is 11 kb? Please correct anything here that might reflect a misunderstanding on my part. 11 kb looks awfully small. How long does this file play for?

And you want to convert this file to 16 bit PCM wav at 44.1 khz mono. Again please correct me if I am mistaken on this.

As for recommendations, dMC is simply the abreviated term for dBpowerAMP music Converter. Go Start>All Programs>dBpowerAMP Music Converter>Configuration>dMC Configuration. There is a box in the window toward the bottom that reads Professional Frequency Conversion. Is this box checked? If not, please check it and try your conversion again. If it is already checked or if the conversion does not work even after you check this box, please let me know. Also try to see if you can convert your wav file to 32 khz or to 24 khz and then convert that file to 44.1 khz.

If that does not help, please tell us anything you can about your source file-where it came from, how it might have come to be encoded at 25566 mhz, what program created it and if it is indeed only 11 kb in size.

Good night and best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen
    Last edited by xoas; 10-22-2004 at 12:25 AM.

Unregistered

poly

Thank you very much for your reply.

Yes, all the details you mention are correct.

In response to your questions:

Professional Frequency Conversion has been checked all along.

Converting to 22,050Hz results in white noise.
    Converting to 24,000Hz results in no sound at all.
    Converting to any higher Hz or any lower Hz results in error message I've mentioned above.

Converting back to 44 after having converted to 22 or 24 does not change anything in this case.

I'm reluctant to mention the names of the software that produced the 25,566Hz result, and I'm not sure where the wav came from.

This wav file is a percussion wav file, and it's generally not uncommon to have percussion samples (which this file is, a maraca sample) that are of a very short length.

But many files of this length and shorter do convert wonderfully, generally.

So my question now is:

Is there a known problem where dMC has trouble with unconventional sample rates?

And if so, is there a codec that is known to be able to deal with these unconventional sample rates during dMC's conversion processes?

Will I be able to use dMC for these unconventional sample rate wavs?

Thank you,

Frew

test

Is there a known problem where dMC has trouble with unconventional sample rates?
    We have occasionally run into instances where users have had problems with conversions at particular conversion rates, and there are known instances where files cannot be converted either because they are encrypted or because they are in a format (or sometimes in a particular version of a format) that dMC cannot read. And, as I have indicated, we have had cases where mixing certain dissimilar files in a particular batch conversion will fail.

And if so, is there a codec that is known to be able to deal with these unconventional sample rates during dMC's conversion processes?
    Good question to which I don't have a good answer. If one of these files will test convert, this suggests that you have the correct codec installed to read the file. If it cannot, then this suggests you do not have a codec installed that can read the file. If this is the case, dMC may or may not have some other codec installed that can read the file.

Will I be able to use dMC for these unconventional sample rate wavs?
    I can't say yet. It might be helpful if you could post a copy of the the tag information for this file or, since it is so small, send me a copy of this file.

Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

>since it is so small, send me a copy of this file.

Out of curiosity, you may want to take a look at this mystery file itself and perhaps see if you can get it to convert in some way.

Thank you for your offer.

How can I get the file to you? In what way would you like me to send the file to you?

Thank you for your help,

Frew

How can I get the file to you? In what way would you like me to send the file to you?
    As an attachment to an email or (if it will work) to a private message (you can find links by viewing by public profile (accessible by clicking on my screenname on th upper left portion of this screen.

It also dawns on me that since the file will Test Convert perhaps you can try to convert the file to Ape or Flac (both are lossless codecs). If so, you can maybe convert the lossless file back to wav at your desired output setting.

Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Sorry, the email at your public profile says I cannot send email to you, and at private message (which I have never used) I do not see a way to send an attachment.

By the way, what do all the symbols on the page where I reply to messages mean (not the emoticons, but the text editing symbols)? And I wonder how is one expected to understand what they all mean and do? I don't see any help for that.

I can send you the wav file once I figure out how to send an attachment through this sites process.

Thank you very much for your ideas and help.

Frew