title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Odd Sampling Rates Will Not Convert_Why Not?

Re: Odd Sampling Rates Will Not Convert_Why Not?

I've sent you a private message with my email address. You can send the file as an attachment there.
    Apologies.

Ok. Got the file.
    Here's what worked out best:
    1. Take your wav file convert it to wma lossless (set at vbr quality quality 100, 44 kHz, 2 channel, 16 bit);
    2. Convert the wma lossless file to 16 bit wav at 44.1 kHz, 1 channel.
    You can check the conversion at both ends using Windows Media Player. You cannot play the original file in dB Audio Player.

I have been able to do a few other conversions but have not found another that converts back to wav. You will need to have either Windows Media Player v9 or v10 or the Windows Media Player v9 system files (from Codec Central) and the wma v9 codec for dMC, if you do not already have these installed for dMC.

So try this out, first with a few single files and then with small batches before trying this sequence with large batches of files. If you run into problems, please let me know.

Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Brilliant, Bill! Good job!

:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :D

Wow, Bill, Thank you very much.

I've got to get these codecs set up that you suggest, then I'll try your process.

I'll let you know how it works for my larger batch processes.

I really like Windows media player 6.4 for it's simplicity, and for the way it loops files seemlessly with no pause at the end of playing a file (I could never get wmplayer 9 to do that so I unistalled it). So I'll have to see if the windows codecs you refer to will work in WMP 6.4 too. I think I saw something at the micrsoft site a while back...something like wmplayer9 codec for wmplayer 6.4?

I'll do some batch tests and get back to you soon.

Thank you very much indeed !

Frew

dMC has some WMA v9 system files which you will find at Codec Central. Install these before installing the wma v9 codecs and remember to restart the computer after installing these. Should work fine.
    Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Hello Bill,

Yes, indeed, your suggested process works excellently for doing batch conversions of my various types of wav files to the ultimate end results that I want (for my current projects) which is: wav 44,100Hz, 16 bit mono.

I see from your test that the wma codec (from within dbpoweramp) can indeed deal with the odd sample rate wavs that it encounters during converion processes, but I was worried that the wma codec might run into trouble if it encountered an ogg vorbis compressed wav during a conversion process...but happily it can handle both with no problems.

So now I take my batches of wavs, convert to wma as you've described, then convert them back to wav...very nicely with no errors during the conversion process.

The only thing that could be a tiny bit easier and faster would be if someday dbpoweramp's wav to wav conversion would be able to handle, in an error-free manner, all of these odd sample rate and ogg vorbis type wav files that I encounter.

I want to thank you very much for helping me with this problem I was having.

Your suggested process is going to save me lots of time, and will make the process of doing batch conversions a breeze really...as opposed to it previously being error-laden.

Thanks again for your help,

Frew

You're very welcome.
    I'm glad we got it worked out.
    :komisch12

Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Unregistered

Hello Bill,

Thanks again for your help a few weeks ago. For the most part everything is going fine with the method you developed for me to deal with odd sample rate wav file conversions.

If it's okay with you, I'd like to send you another small wav file (under 20kb).

The method we worked out in this thread (ie wav to wma back to wav etc) generally works fine, but For some reason now and then an occasional wav file gets mangled by the conversion process.

Here's what I'd like to see if you can help me with:

I think I tried every possible conversion option with DMC and every option I try ends up cutting short the end of this this bird_test.wav that I want to send to you.

I'm hoping you can find a way to get this bird_test.wav

which is

PCM,11,025 Hz, 8 Bit, Mono

to converted to

PCM,44,100 Hz, 16 Bit, Mono

in a way where there is no destuction of the file.

I could not do it with DMC. Every method of conversion I tried really cut the end of this nice file short, and added some crackling noise.

Maybe you can find a way that works, hopefully.

Please send me a note here to let me know if it's okay to send you the bird_test.wav file.

Thank you,

Frew

I'm thinking the problem may possibly have something to do with the short length of this wav file, but surely DMC should be able to easily handle files of even very short durations, since they are so common.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

If you'd ike to see if you can get this file to convert properly (ie to get it converted without the end result being cut shorter than the original wav file, and without any extra little noise being added to the result), please let me know and I'll send the file to you (it's size is only 8 kb, but it's a fun, nice quality humorous little bird sound).

Thank you,

Frew

I'm thinking the problem may possibly have something to do with the short length of this wav file
    Well your other file was only 11 kb and we got that to work.
    This file has a smaller frequency setting and a different bit setting than the other and this may be the source of your problem, especially the different bit setting.

I would be happy to take a look at your file and see what we can do with it to get you a better conversion.

Best wishes,
    Bill mikkelsen

Thanks Bill,

I just sent the wav to you.

I look forward to seeing what results you get with it.

Thanks again,

Frew

Administrator

Will mark as a bug.

Okay,

Thanks for checking into this.

Please post a note at this thread if this problem is ever resolved.

By the way, what do you think is the nature of the problem? Is it to do with the bit rate going from 8 to 16, or is it that I'm try to go from 11,025hz to 44,100hz, and perhaps the short length of the file, or some combination of these elements?

Thank you,

Frew
    Last edited by frew; 11-13-2004 at 07:00 PM.

It is probably a combination of all those elements.
    I have come up with what seems to be a satisfactory solution although it is not an ideal solution. In my book an ideal solution would only involve lossless intermediate conversions and I have not worked out any 2 step or 3 step conversions which will involve only lossless codecs. It kind of looks like the problem is getting from 16 bit, mono at 11.025 kHz to 16 bit mono at 44.1 kbs. It looks like the WMA lossless can't convert from that low a frequency.

But the solution I have found is this:
    Convert your file to mp3Pro
    Convert the mp3Pro file to Wav, 16 bit, 44.1 kHz. mono.

To do this you will need the mp3Pro encoder and decoder codecs and the Thomson mp3Pro demo player and you will need to follow the instructions for the install of each of these to benefit from mp3Pro quality.

If you are sceptical, I would be happy to send you a copy of the converted end file so you can determine whether the result will meet your needs or not.

Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen