title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Remote Control and Listening

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Remote Control and Listening

My current house is fully CAT5 cabled and the music server (running dAP natch!) connects to the amp and the amp to several speakers round the house via CAT5.

We plan to move shortly and the 'new' house doesn't lend itself to cabling so I'm looking at wireless. To minimise noise in the house I want to put the PCs in the annexe and access them remotely. I suspect this is going to involve a couple of laptops in the house using RAdmin to connect to the other PCs over the wireless network. Any suggestions as to how I get the PC music output to the amp over wireless? I've been looking at the SliMP3 as one option but I'm not entirely sure that's what I need.

Thanks.

Kevin

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Remote Control and Listening

did someone say wi-fi? :D

i did see somewhere recently a mini type fi-fi i think it was that is wireless.

anyhow is it possable to have your laptop cabled to your hi-fi without too much fuss? that's all i do. my desktop PC is in another room and my laptop is in the loungeroom near my hi-fi. i keep my music on my second PC .

my setup is:

netcomm wireless router: router
    netcomm 11g wireless pcmcia card: pcmcia card
    USB spirit: usb
    one desktop PC and one laptop. no wires at all. totally wireless. i connect to optusnet cable. ok so one wire which goes from my nortel 100 cable modem to my router using rj45.

/edit, looks like my stuff is too old now as the links to the products i bought are no longer availible.
    Last edited by Razgo; 10-06-2004 at 04:42 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

> anyhow is it possable to have your laptop cabled to your hi-fi

Frayed knot, they'll be in completely different rooms on different floors.

I've been having a Google and turned up this http://www.netgear.com/products/details/MP101.php but that'll stop me using dAP which I'm not keen on.

(how do you turn the link into text?)

dBpoweramp Guru

ok well have alook at what paddy did: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=2294

and a little less important but still interesting

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...ighlight=paddy

i got the threads wrong way around. correctedd now.
    Last edited by Razgo; 10-06-2004 at 05:12 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks interesting threads but not quite what I'm after as I'm happy with the machine dAP is running on (it's easily upgradeable) I just want to access it remotely and have it connect to the amp remotely.

My wireless plans may be scuppered though as the house we're intending to buy is an 18th century farmhouse with thick walls and I hadn't considered the barrier that may be to wireless transmission.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I've just ordered a Squeezebox to have a play with. Unfortunately it'll mean goodby to dAP in anywhere but the study (where it will reign supreme but does give us remote control.

dBpoweramp Guru

it sure does look interesting.

I now play music from my desktop PC (or laptop) directly to my home stereo in other rooms. All wireless. Works great. Here's how:

I did it with an Apple AirPort Express ($150) which acts like a wireless router and a Wireless 108Mbps G PCI adapter ($40) in the desktop.
    1. Just plug the AirPort Express into an electrical outlet (surge protector).
    2. Plug your network cable (DSL or Cable) from the modem into the AirPort Express ethernet jack.
    3. Plug the stereo jack cable into the AirPort Express and then into the Line-In or Aux-In on your home stereo.
    4. Install the AirPort Express software.
    5. Open iTunes, at the bottom-right of the window, click on the "speaker" settings and choose "AirPort".
    6. Budda-Bing!

Your DSL/Cable is now wireless from the Apple AirPort Express to your PC via the wireless PCI adapter in the desktop.
    The Apple AirPort Express is a wireless gate, the same as a wireless router.

I'd recommend the 108Mbps G Wireless Card for better performance over the 54Mbps G Wireless Card.

BurnBabyBurn rides again!!!

Here's the Logitech link:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...ONTENTID=10855
    $149.00