title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Ripping DVD with DivX & Lame 3.93

ARcane

Question Ripping DVD with DivX & Lame 3.93

Is it possible to Rip DVD or convert other Media to DivX using Lame 3.93 and not the standard windows PCM Encoder ?

My videos have poor Quality and the filesize is too big

thx ARcane ?

Unregistered
    yes.
    install the lame acm filter that came with lame 3.92, then you can update the lame_enc whenever you like and the filter will use it (chuck it in your system directory)
    then using virtualdub you can convert the audio to mp3.
    you'll have a hard time playing it on a slow machine!

The only drama I've comeacross is that the lame acm thing makes cooleditpro2 crash as soon as it opens.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    If you do use LAME and set it to VBR, I would suggest that you process audio and video as two separate tasks in Virtual Dub. Over a long duration I have seen audio/video sync get lost when processing both audio and video together.

Also with DivX, I've had better success with version 5.0.0 than I have with version 5.0.2.

If filesize is an issue, I've found that the frauhoffer IIS mpeg layer 3 codec produces a slightly smaller file than Lame. (when set to CBR).

If you're interested, I did some tests comparing mpeg1, mpeg2, divx 5.0.0 and divx 5.0.2 a little while ago. You can see the results on the below link.

My Encoder and Codec Test page

In respect to speed, here's a quick test I did on a 900mhz celeron with 128mb of 66mhz sdram, when playing back different video formats. All have mp3 audio.

CPU usage when viewing different Video formats
    Last edited by Narler; 09-29-2002 at 08:30 PM.