title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: hurry up and make an atrac3

Unregistered

hurry up and make an atrac3

oi u nerds, hurry up and make a bloody atrac 3 converter. shit its been agers i though u guys were like smart

Re: hurry up and make an atrac3

Illustrate has one staff person, one programmer/originator and that is Spoon.
    This is not his day job.
    Spoon's idea has been to keep the dBpowerAMP program as open and as free as possible.
    Atrac 3 is a proprietary codec. Were Spoon to develop an Atrac 3 codec he would need to obtain a license from Sony to develop and offer such a codec (which Sony would have to approve and for which Sony would undoubtedly charge a licensing fee) and this charge, of necessity, would need to be passed on to you the user. If the licensing fee amounted to a lot of money up front it is very unlikely that it would be worthwhile and I am sure he does not have a substantial budget to absorb the cost on a corporate level.
    The fact that users post an item on a wishlist does not mean that the wish will come to pass.
    Since I cannot read Spoon's mind on this issue, I cannot rule out that there may one day be an Atrac 3 codec but the realities of the situation as I outlined above, would seem to make it highly unlikely that Spoon will be developing and offering such a codec any time soon.
    If you would like to encourage the development of an Atrac 3 codec, I frankly think you need to be pressuring Sony to make Atrac 3 open source.
    Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Administrator

Re: hurry up and make an atrac3

The posters IP address is 203.143.244.182 which relates to:

ppp1EB6.dsl.pacific.net.au