title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What About Macintosh Users!

Unregistered

Unhappy What About Macintosh Users!

Is There A Converter For Macintosh??????
    There Should, It Aint Only Windows Out There U Know!!!!! :'(

Re: What About Macintosh Users!

I am also a Macintosh user. Is there a similar utility for the Mac? I need to convert WMA Lossless files to Apple Lossless files. Thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

will one of these work? http://www.pure-mac.com/audio.html

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    True. Linux people (now including me) are asking for a dMC port to Linux, as there isn't anything quite like it in Linux. However, there is just one Illustrate employee: Spoon. He does it all himself. The "staff" on the forum is just here for tech support. Mabye eventually we'll get a port, but for now, you'll have to look elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    Uh, I hate to break it to you, but yeah, it basically is only Windows out there. It's not worth the effort to port anything to Mac because Mac users constitute, as of a few years ago anyway, about 5% of the total computing world. That's why there's hardly any software for Macs and generally the only people who code for Macs are huge companies with money to burn and lots of employees, and also why most of the software available for Mac is made by Apple. iTunes, Final Cut Pro, iDVD, iPhoto, Logic, iSomething else... you get my point. I really don't want to go into a "Mac vs. PC" rant, but there's a reason that people buy Macs. Either they're wanna-be non-conformists (who themselves conform to a "one size fits all" white Mac w/matching iPod), or they like the simplicity of having one company spoon feed them everything, and limit their ability to get confused by 3rd party software.
    Rather than make poor Spoon port his wonderful program, just drop like $300 (US), and get yourself a PC like the rest of us. That's probably 10% of what you spent on your Mac, and you won't have to drop $80 every year to keep your OS up to date (like on your Mac).
    Sorry for the Mac vs. PC rant... I am actually happy that Apple is out there, because then MS would truly be a monopoly, and then we'd all be really screwed (because they'd have to divide). Just understand that when you bought your Mac, you made a choice, and now you're stuck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by onethatcan
    I am also a Macintosh user. Is there a similar utility for the Mac? I need to convert WMA Lossless files to Apple Lossless files. Thanks.
    I'm pretty sure that iTunes will do this now, just as iTunes will also convert standard WMA to m4p.

Talking Re: What About Macintosh Users!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCerm
    I really don't want to go into a "Mac vs. PC" rant, but there's a reason that people buy Macs. Either they're wanna-be non-conformists (who themselves conform to a "one size fits all" white Mac w/matching iPod), or they like the simplicity of having one company spoon feed them everything, and limit their ability to get confused by 3rd party software......Just understand that when you bought your Mac, you made a choice, and now you're stuck with it.
    You forgot one other important reason: macs work, period. And yes, I am stuck with my choice and without regret:1

You should try compiling a list of reasons why PC's are so cheap and also why there's so many viruses out there that have created an industry in itself due to Microsoft having such a piss-poor OS. I do owe Microsoft a lot though because I've got job security with supporting their OSes and apps and keeping them from crashing. Like you, our company's a sucker for punishment. :D

Uh, I hate to break it to you, but yeah, it basically is only Windows out there. It's not worth the effort to port anything to Mac because Mac users constitute, as of a few years ago anyway, about 5% of the total computing world.
    Apple claims there are over 15,000,000 people worldwide using Mac OSX. If 1/10th of 1 percent of these people bought dBpowerAMP, that would be 150,000 customers (if I do my math right). That sounds like a pretty big number to me.

As it is, all the pro audio mixers and editors I work with in LA all use exclusively Macs. Virtually every 2007 film was edited, recorded, and mixed on Macintoshes.

However: I routinely run Windows in the background on my Macs, just so I can use a handful of indispensible utilities. dBPowerAMP is one of them. It's good enough that I put up with the problems with Windows, and there's no equivalent for it under Mac OSX (yet).

Porting to OSX would mean pretty much a total re-write of dMC from scratch, and since there is one programmer/developer for dBpoweramp, Spoon, it is very unlikely to happen anytime soon.

And this begs the question: does dMC work in Parallels or VMWare when its running Windows within OSX?

Uh, I hate to break it to you, but yeah, it basically is only Windows out there ... I really don't want to go into a "Mac vs. PC" rant, but there's a reason that people buy Macs. ...
    ...Sorry for the Mac vs. PC rant... I am actually happy that Apple is out there, because then MS would truly be a monopoly, and then we'd all be really screwed (because they'd have to divide). Just understand that when you bought your Mac, you made a choice, and now you're stuck with it.
    You don't want to rant, yet you do. Lack of self-discipline, I guess. I won't bother quoting the rest, or respond to such drivel. Even that famous cynic, John C. Dvorak, now uses Macintosh and prefers it over Windows. And, yes, the audio field IS one of Apple's niche markets, just as with most other creative fields like graphics or video editing. Adobe is not exactly a small 3rd party player either. In fact, like MS, they owe their existence to Apple. And, oh, wouldn't it have been terrible if that convicted monopolist MS was broken up. Guess their Bush contributions came in handy. But you're right, they do have a vested interest in Apple surviving. Just. I am a Vista user on a Dell and have never owned a mac, but am seriously considering it once Leopard comes out and I get the money.
    It's unfortunate there is no Mac version, but oh well. An example of where Opensource could be helpful, though harder to make a business model on.

Enough of my rant.

dBpoweramp Guru

Whoa whoa whoa guys, no fighting, debates are fine, but this could get out of hand.

The one thing I'd like to say is:

If a Mac version of dBpowerAMP Music Converter is decided, it won't be for a while, (as other users have mentioned). Don't give up hope though.

----

Out of curiosity, what makes the Apple so great for audio? Just wondering. (Please don't say "iTunes!" because I could think of a looooooonnnng list of alternatives)

How can I say No to a penguin... :smile2:

With all the audio pros that do use Macs, dbPoweramp would most certainly get a whole lot of interest.

I remember a long time ago, about 10 years ago, there was a program called SOFTwindows for the mac which would emulate the windows OS. I think there was like sotwindows98. I also know that there were some power macs that would allow both windows and the mac system to be installed one the same hard drive:one partition was for MAC and the other was a partition for DOS/Windows. If they still have softwindows, you might want to buy it as it is a rare item. It goes slower because it is emulating..plus I know you would have to give more megs to the program and the more megs you gave to the program would be equivilent to the fake windows hard drive ..but I am not sure if the emulation version of windows would be able to encode. I know it could play audio but it was just a pain in the butt configuring the CD drives. If you have softwindows then you can use dbpoweramp. Good luck!
    Last edited by dmcKEAN; 09-15-2007 at 12:41 AM.

Just get Parallels or VMWare, thought I'm not sure if CD ripping will work. Also, you need a separate version of Windows for the virturalized Windows.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by LtData
    Just get Parallels or VMWare, thought I'm not sure if CD ripping will work. Also, you need a separate version of Windows for the virturalized Windows.
    So, Are you guy planning to lunch dmc for mac