title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Mp3 Patent Problems

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • neilthecellist
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2004

Re: Mp3 Patent Problems

/me wonders what Joseph's post has to do with anything pertaining to the thread.

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by neilthecellist
      /me wonders what Joseph's post has to do with anything pertaining to the thread.
      You mean there's a particular theme to the thread? I though it was just chit-chat, small talk :D

He does say he bought the PowerPack - so that kind of joins it

Comment

• Razgo
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

i think because many who purchased the powerpack a long time ago won't even notice what all the fuss is over :D

Comment

• neilthecellist
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Dec 2004

omg! We just totally went off the topic on this thread......

Comment

• Link500X
            • Apr 2005

The Blade encoder still works for free.

Comment

• Joseph
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Oct 2002

Blade is very poor quality and isn't being developed anymore.

Comment

• Link500X
                • Apr 2005

I rarely use mp3, because I like mpc better. The only time that I do use mp3 is for my cd player. The timestamps for the lame codec seem to be off everytime I use it, plus lame skips more often in my cd player. A few reviews that I have read state that blade is better than lame for high bitrate. Also, I have a slow computer and blade encodes quicker then lame (2X compared to 0.5X). Now I don't have much of a choice anyways; if I want mp3 for free on dbpoweramp than i can't use lame.

Comment

• neilthecellist
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Link500X
                  I rarely use mp3, because I like mpc better. The only time that I do use mp3 is for my cd player. The timestamps for the lame codec seem to be off everytime I use it, plus lame skips more often in my cd player. A few reviews that I have read state that blade is better than lame for high bitrate. Also, I have a slow computer and blade encodes quicker then lame (2X compared to 0.5X). Now I don't have much of a choice anyways; if I want mp3 for free on dbpoweramp than i can't use lame.
                  Blade is better than LAME at higher bitrates? Show me those websites. I want to see proof for myself. As for the fact that Blade encodes quicker than LAME, this is because LAME compresses the audio well, at the same time, creating very good audio quality.

Comment

• Larry!
                    • May 2002

Well, majority sometimes could be wrong ;D
                    I personally prefer old-fashioned FhG for mp3, since i don't like
                    way much lame's psychoacoustic model sounds.
                    A matter of taste perhaps...

Comment

• neilthecellist
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Dec 2004

Wow Larry I haven't seen you on the Forums in quite some time!

I dunno, sometimes FhG sounds better for me, especially with classical music (I know, I changed my opinions on classical music) and pop music goes good with LAME>

Comment

• Link500X
                        • Apr 2005

tml in
                        Originally posted by neilthecellist
                        Blade is better than LAME at higher bitrates? Show me those websites. I want to see proof for myself. As for the fact that Blade encodes quicker than LAME, this is because LAME compresses the audio well, at the same time, creating very good audio quality.
                        I cannot find the sites right now, but here is some proof:

The song that I compared is Meet My Maker by Good Charlotte. I encoded it at 256 kbps, stereo, 44.1 kHz, using razorblade and razorlame (since I cannot encode lame with dbpoweramp). The Blade codec is v0.94.2. The Lame codec is v3.92. As you can see(if the images load), the blade file(bottom) appears much more like the original file(middle) than the lame file(top) does. If the images don't load, the url is:
                        beplaced.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, beplaced.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Last edited by Link500X; 04-14-2005, 02:05 AM.

Comment

• neilthecellist
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Dec 2004

All i get is a message "Invalid Referrer" when i click on those links....

Comment

• ChristinaS
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Apr 2004

LOL! That website has anti-hotlinking in effect, you'll never be able to display those photos in the forum.

Best bet is to use the link: http://gwave.beplaced.com/ and go see them direclty.

Comment

• neilthecellist
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Dec 2004

Forgive me for sounding like a noob, but i cannot understand what these charts mean. What do they mean? What do the little wavelength thingys mean? That Blade is better? :confused:

Comment

• Larry!
                                • May 2002

Just compare them visually. Lame, with no doubt, brings some
                                artifacts to the track. This is not a precise copy.
                                It's configurable if you encoding mp3 via cmd - you can disable
                                psychoacoustic modeling from there... But then, what's the point in using lame? =)

Comment

Working...

]]>