title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mp3 Patent Problems

Re: Mp3 Patent Problems

well shame on you Thompson

Well, the Mp3 thing for me is a non-issue. I haven't encoded to it for several years, my entire collection is now in Monkey's and I use OGG for my Rio. I suppose when I occasionally download stuff off of Kazaa to hear a new artist I need MP3 playback, but the majority of my interest is in my CD collection. So F*** Thompson. If they want to enforce their patent, let them eat the cake that is Vorbis. The more they enforce the more their "standard" loses in the marketplace since the alternative is both free and better quality. Their only advantage is inertia and they lose that if they restrict their market.

On another topic, why doesn't Spoon charge more for MMC/DAP/etc? I spend at least $100 per month on new music, and dbpowerAMP products are the core of what I do with that music. Do you think I would think twice about a $50 price to register the thing, expecially if that meant Spoon could implement new features faster? I know there are those who use dbPowerAMP because it's free, but aren't there those out there like me who use it because it is the best?

Scott

I suppose if Spoon did charge more he might have to inform the Tax Office of this additional income.

Wayne

yeah, and there aren't many people who would pay $50 bucks, instead of usingworse, but free or cheaper stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by donny
    yeah, and there aren't many people who would pay $50 bucks, instead of usingworse, but free or cheaper stuff...
    Perhaps a little Paypal donations button may attract a few donors? :D

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I would donate!

I second the idea of a Paypay Donation button. However, doing this depends on the country Spoon and the donor are in.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne
    I suppose if Spoon did charge more he might have to inform the Tax Office of this additional income.

Wayne
    dBpowerAMP is fully legitimate - a Limited Company (which is needed to protect my personal assets from Patent hungry companies).

Heh, the funniest thing is, that there's absolutely free version of legal mp3 codec, the one which ships with wmp10(l3codecp.acm from FhG).LoL! And dbpower may take advantage of it absolutely legally, coz now it's system built-in .acm codec. =))
    Just choose when "converting to" wav and then compressed and then mpeg layer 3(and then bitrate). Done.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry!
    Heh, the funniest thing is, that there's absolutely free version of legal mp3 codec, the one which ships with wmp10(l3codecp.acm from FhG).LoL! And dbpower may take advantage of it absolutely legally, coz now it's system built-in .acm codec. =))
    Legally, yes. For free, probably not. The issue here is encoding to mp3, which they have patented. No matter what codec dMC uses, users would have to pay the fee so that they can encode to mp3. Besides, Microsoft has enough money to pay the monthly fee for all of its users and not charge them. Remember the WMP 9 mp3 plug-in failure? They tried to get people to pay for mp3 and it failed miserably, because people had better, free alternatives out there. Now that everybody has to pay or will soon, Microsoft pays the feee for its users and gives it out for free. Go figure.

Administrator

The Microsoft mp3 codec can only encode as 64kbps max.

Quote Originally Posted by LtData
    Legally, yes. For free, probably not. The issue here is encoding to mp3, which they have patented. No matter what codec dMC uses, users would have to pay the fee so that they can encode to mp3.
    It's included now in windows mediaplayer 10. No charges. Just download wmp10 from M$ site and you may encode whatever and much as you wish(considering you're not *nix user though=).
    Besides, Microsoft has enough money to pay the monthly fee for all of its users and not charge them. Remember the WMP 9 mp3 plug-in failure? They tried to get people to pay for mp3 and it failed miserably, because people had better, free alternatives out there. Now that everybody has to pay or will soon, Microsoft pays the feee for its users and gives it out for free. Go figure.
    Ok, let them pay... As you said, Microsoft has enough money. Agreed.
    Last edited by Larry!; 12-22-2004 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon
    The Microsoft mp3 codec can only encode as 64kbps max.
    The one that ships with wmp10(l3codecp, not l3codeca) encodes 8-320kbps. =)

dBpoweramp Guru

Christ.......what a B*@&% !!!!!!! Fraunhofer actually did this to you, Spoon?

I thought the LAME encoder was open source. Fraunhofer shouldn't have any rights to barge into something open-source like LAME, right?

And I thought that because LAME was open source, it was free in dMC....does this mean that dMC's LAME encoder isn't free??

dBpoweramp Guru

eh? isn't FhG a pretty bad mp3 encoder? Or is this just my opinion?