title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Mp3 Patent Problems

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dig412
    • Jan 2004

Re: Mp3 Patent Problems

well shame on you Thompson

Comment

• sdkeexxx
      • Dec 2004

Well, the Mp3 thing for me is a non-issue. I haven't encoded to it for several years, my entire collection is now in Monkey's and I use OGG for my Rio. I suppose when I occasionally download stuff off of Kazaa to hear a new artist I need MP3 playback, but the majority of my interest is in my CD collection. So F*** Thompson. If they want to enforce their patent, let them eat the cake that is Vorbis. The more they enforce the more their "standard" loses in the marketplace since the alternative is both free and better quality. Their only advantage is inertia and they lose that if they restrict their market.

On another topic, why doesn't Spoon charge more for MMC/DAP/etc? I spend at least $100 per month on new music, and dbpowerAMP products are the core of what I do with that music. Do you think I would think twice about a $50 price to register the thing, expecially if that meant Spoon could implement new features faster? I know there are those who use dbPowerAMP because it's free, but aren't there those out there like me who use it because it is the best?

Scott

Comment

• Wayne
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Aug 2002

I suppose if Spoon did charge more he might have to inform the Tax Office of this additional income.

Wayne

Comment

• donny
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Oct 2002

yeah, and there aren't many people who would pay $50 bucks, instead of usingworse, but free or cheaper stuff...

Comment

• ChristinaS
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by donny
            yeah, and there aren't many people who would pay $50 bucks, instead of usingworse, but free or cheaper stuff...
            Perhaps a little Paypal donations button may attract a few donors? :D

Comment

• Joseph
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Oct 2002

I would donate!

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

I second the idea of a Paypay Donation button. However, doing this depends on the country Spoon and the donor are in.

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

Originally posted by Wayne
                  I suppose if Spoon did charge more he might have to inform the Tax Office of this additional income.

Wayne
                  dBpowerAMP is fully legitimate - a Limited Company (which is needed to protect my personal assets from Patent hungry companies).
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Larry!
                    • May 2002

Heh, the funniest thing is, that there's absolutely free version of legal mp3 codec, the one which ships with wmp10(l3codecp.acm from FhG).LoL! And dbpower may take advantage of it absolutely legally, coz now it's system built-in .acm codec. =))
                    Just choose when "converting to" wav and then compressed and then mpeg layer 3(and then bitrate). Done.

Comment

• LtData
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • May 2004

Originally posted by Larry!
                      Heh, the funniest thing is, that there's absolutely free version of legal mp3 codec, the one which ships with wmp10(l3codecp.acm from FhG).LoL! And dbpower may take advantage of it absolutely legally, coz now it's system built-in .acm codec. =))
                      Legally, yes. For free, probably not. The issue here is encoding to mp3, which they have patented. No matter what codec dMC uses, users would have to pay the fee so that they can encode to mp3. Besides, Microsoft has enough money to pay the monthly fee for all of its users and not charge them. Remember the WMP 9 mp3 plug-in failure? They tried to get people to pay for mp3 and it failed miserably, because people had better, free alternatives out there. Now that everybody has to pay or will soon, Microsoft pays the feee for its users and gives it out for free. Go figure.

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

The Microsoft mp3 codec can only encode as 64kbps max.
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Larry!
                          • May 2002

Originally posted by LtData
                          Legally, yes. For free, probably not. The issue here is encoding to mp3, which they have patented. No matter what codec dMC uses, users would have to pay the fee so that they can encode to mp3.
                          It's included now in windows mediaplayer 10. No charges. Just download wmp10 from M$ site and you may encode whatever and much as you wish(considering you're not *nix user though=).
                          Besides, Microsoft has enough money to pay the monthly fee for all of its users and not charge them. Remember the WMP 9 mp3 plug-in failure? They tried to get people to pay for mp3 and it failed miserably, because people had better, free alternatives out there. Now that everybody has to pay or will soon, Microsoft pays the feee for its users and gives it out for free. Go figure.
                          Ok, let them pay... As you said, Microsoft has enough money. Agreed.
                          Last edited by Larry!; 12-22-2004, 10:02 PM.

Comment

• Larry!
                            • May 2002

Originally posted by Spoon
                            The Microsoft mp3 codec can only encode as 64kbps max.
                            The one that ships with wmp10(l3codecp, not l3codeca) encodes 8-320kbps. =)

Comment

• neilthecellist
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Dec 2004

Christ.......what a B*@&% !!!!!!! Fraunhofer actually did this to you, Spoon?

I thought the LAME encoder was open source. Fraunhofer shouldn't have any rights to barge into something open-source like LAME, right?

And I thought that because LAME was open source, it was free in dMC....does this mean that dMC's LAME encoder isn't free??

Comment

• neilthecellist
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Dec 2004

eh? isn't FhG a pretty bad mp3 encoder? Or is this just my opinion?

Comment

Working...

]]>