title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Help with Atrac

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

Help with Atrac

Hi all,
    I'm desperately hoping that some of you guys might be able to give me some advice/help. I uploaded quite a lot of my cd collection to my home pc and burnt them to Atrac CD's for my sony CD player. Along with this I also had some really cool stuff that I have downloaded\borrowed etc down through the years. The hard drive on my home pc recently died on me, so I've lost my library. I still have them on CD, but is there any way of ripping the CD's back to mp3, wma or wav?
    Any help on this would be most greatly appreciated.
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: Help with Atrac

If you still have your Sony CD player and it has a line out jack for speakers and you have a stereo line input for your sound card (which most newer computers have nowadays), the simplest (conceptually) but most time consuming method would be to hook up your Sony Atrac cd player to the computer with a stereo cord from the cd player's speaker jack to the line input of your computer and recording from your cd player to dMC (dBpowerAMP Music Converter) using Auxilary Input.
    Slightly less tedious but probably not by much would be to use SonicStage 2.0, reportedly available from here:

"As of July 5, 2004 here for Win98SE, ME, 2000:

and here for WinXP:
    http://sonicstage.connect.com/SonicStageInstaller.exe. "

I have not used this program. It appears to be able to allow you to play Atrac files but I think you may have to do so through Windows Media Player or RealOne Player. I am not sure whether you will be able to convert those files as they may continue to be in Atrac format. The question would be whether you could further convert them to mp3. The problem being that Atrac was designed to make it nearly impossible to copy Atrac files. It may be that the best you can do is to play the Atrac files on your cd through WMP and record them to wav or mp3 using dMC Auxilary input which is as tedious as doing it through the first method.
    You may want to check to see if you still have the program you used to convert your files to Atrac to see if it will allow you to to play or convert your Atrac files.
    Finally, you may want to scan the admittedly lengthy thread here:
    My sister just got a Sony CD MP3 Player for her birthday. It seems that sony has dropped the WMA Support and added their own ATRAC3 and ATRAC3Plus in it's place. The problem is that their software is very slow and cumbersome to use. Could you Add ATRAC3 Support to your program?

which has more fact, opinion and passionate discourse about Atrac than I could ever hope to provide.
    If I have misrepresented any of the information above, or if one of the Atrac community has a better suggestion, please feel free to help out.
    Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• xoas
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2002

Another idea-
      Have you considered trying to find someone who could help rescure your files from your old hard drive? It might, for all I know, be prohibitively expensive but it might not be. If you were willing to invest in this it would save you a whole lot of time (assuming you have any great number of Atrac cds).

Best wishes,
      Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• drspy00
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Apr 2004

This may sound stupid but what is Atrac?
        Last edited by drspy00; 07-11-2004, 04:23 AM.

Comment

• xoas
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2002

Briefly stated, Atrac is a file format used principly, if not almost solely, by Sony for use on their mini-disc players and portable mp3 players. Apparently many users feel that Atrac gives better results than mp3 or wma at higher compression rates. The downside is that Atrac files have rather extensive copy-protection builtin and outside of Sony products you can't find many other places you can use/play your Atrac files.
          Atrac has been updated to Atrac3 and Atrac3 Plus. For way more information and opinion on Atrac3 and 3 Plus see the following thread:
          My sister just got a Sony CD MP3 Player for her birthday. It seems that sony has dropped the WMA Support and added their own ATRAC3 and ATRAC3Plus in it's place. The problem is that their software is very slow and cumbersome to use. Could you Add ATRAC3 Support to your program?

I have never used Atrac in any form and I would not recommend using it unless you have a Sony player that requires Atrac and then I would make sure that my files were saved/backed up in some other format (like mp3, ogg, even-shudder-wma) so that you will still be able to access those files outside of your Sony player.

Best wishes,
          Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• drspy00
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Apr 2004

Thanks for your help. It sounds like a strange format. I hate things that are restricting like copy protection.

Comment

Working...

]]>