title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

converting RA. RAM. RM to WMAv9

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shadow knows
    • Jun 2004

converting RA. RAM. RM to WMAv9

:vmad: Up untill 2 days ago my my dbpoweramp converter worked flawlessly. No it will not convert my Ra. RAM. RM. files at all. When I try to convert one it just stops working I guess( nothing happens). I know it takes the length of the song to complete the conversion but lets face it....a 3 minute song shouldn't take 3 1/2 hours...and it never completes. Then when I try to close the program it just hangs on.I have to restart my computer to get rid of the converting window. I uninstalled the player and the converter...then reinstalled both....reinstalled the proper codecs....but still will not work. Plus I am on WinXP/.and there is no choice on the properties drop down menu to select this version of windows. if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated..
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: converting RA. RAM. RM to WMAv9

I take it that you only have this problem with Real Audio files and not with other file formats. I also assume that you are trying a fairly straightforward conversion and not anything like trying to compress to mp3 at a 32 kbs bitrate. Assuming these two things, I would try uninstalling your dMC Real Audio codecs, delete those codecs from your registry, and try reinstalling them.
    If my assumptions are wrong then these steps may not help you, so please stop and review them before taking action. If you need help figuring out to to the procedure I described, please let us know.
    Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• shadow knows
      • Jun 2004

I did the things exactly the way you described. Still no luck in converting these files. Is it possible that the converter isn't compatible to winxp?......Like I said..it DID work,,,,now nothing. Most of my files are WMAv9.......I have about 300 Ra. Rm. RAM. files I would like to convert so I can burn them on CD's. Please if you have any other suggestions I would be glad to listen and try them. Thanks

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2002

Yes, dMC (dBpowerAMP Music Converter) is compatible with Windows XP, I use Windows XP myself.
        Your first post suggests that dMC was working fine up to a few days ago. Had you been able to convert Real Audio files before then or is it only recently that you had this problem? Can you do other conversions (say, ra to wav, mp3 to wma v9, wav to wma v9) involving only one of those file types? What version of dMC do you have installed? Have you uninstalled or changed your version of Real Player (or Real Jukebox)(which is needed for the dMC Real Audio codec to work)? If your system is hanging during conversions, have you tried lowering the priority for your conversion (which might help lower the load on your CPU and prevent the freeze)?

Unless you have uninstalled or changed your Real Player, Real Jukebox or Real One player recently, I would suggest you try to lower your recording priority to see if that will help prevent a freeze (which is what your symptoms seem to describe). Also, consider the possibility of reducing the load on your CPU of having other programs going on in the background or on the desktop. You may also find it possible to convert your Real Audio files to wav and wav to wma v.9. But if you can't do any conversions at all (say, mp3 to wav) then I would try uninstalling dMC, deleting dMC from the registry, restarting the computer and then re-installing dMC. If you aren't already using dMC release 10.1 consider downloading and installing that version or the r 11 beta.

Let us know what you try and how it turns out.
        Best wishes,
        Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

Remember also that .ram is a meta-file and what you really want to convert is the underlying real media file that it refers to (.ra, .rm) - which, if not already on your pc, has to be downloaded first before conversion. Edit your .ram file with Notepad and check that out in the <ref href ...> tag. If the file is on the web and the protocol is listed as other than http;// then you probbaly won't be able to download the real media file itself in any case, so you have to resort to Auxiliary Input to capture the audio to a wav or other format.

Comment

• shadow knows
            • Jun 2004

:cry: I have done all the things that have been suggested. The problem seems to be in the codec I guess. So far nothing has worked. I cannot change Ra. Ram. Rm files to any other form. It simply just stays in the conversion mode.For example.I chose a small Ra/RM file. The song takes around 2 1/2 minutes to play through.While trying to convert this file to a WMAv9 at 128 or 96.etc etc etc,,down the list..it stayed on the conversion window for 2 1/2 hrs....still no conversion. It's like it lost it's place or something. I have the files downloaded to my PC in music folders. ..not to URL's. I am running the 10.1 converter and real player 10. I would be happy if it would convert the files to anything so I can burn them to a cd but thats not about to happen I guess. the converter works when converting MP3 or wav. to WMAv9 but nothing else. As I said I have uninstalled and reinstalled the player..converter..codecs 3 or 4 times with still the same results.I need help badly or there must be some bug in the codec or Real Player has done some changes that disallows the conversion. Thanks Again

Comment

• xoas
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2002

Assuming the problem is in your codec, try uninstalling your Real Audio Codec. Delete the codec from your registry. Shut down and restart your computer. Reinstall the codec.

Assuming you have tried this, try converting your your smallish file to wav. After you have pushed the button the conversion window will come up which will show the status of the conversion. What is your setting where it says Priority? If it is above Normal or Normal reduce it to normal or Below Normal. Does the conversion work with a lower priority setting?

If this does not help, can you clearly recollect converting similar files in the past? If so, and if your problem arose 10 days ago, can you identify anything you might have done that might have affected your computer or its performance (reformatted a hard drive, upgraded your operating system, put in new anti-virus software) before you discovered this problem? Are you aware of any hardware problems?

Please keep us posted on your findings.
              Best wishes,
              Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• ponniyinselvan

I am also encountering the same issue. I installed dBpowerAMP converter for the first time yesterday and I installed the Real Audio codec and MP2 Codec. I was able to convert mp2 files to mp3. But when I try to convert .rm files to mp3 or wav, the conversion process never ends. It stays at 0% much much longer than the actual playing time of the file. If I try to close the window, a 'Cancel conversion?' dialog opens up. If i say 'yes' still the window won't close and the conversion process continues. The only way I can close it is through Task Manager.

Comment

• ponniyinselvan

I am using WinXP machine with ample speed/memory etc. It doesn't look like a performance issue.

Comment

• xoas
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2002

Ponniyinselvan-
                    Do you have version 8 or higher of Real Player installed also (required for codec to work)?
                    Have you installed both the encoder and decoder codec?
                    Have you tried checking your file associations?
                    Does your problem still occur if you lower the priority for your conversion?
                    Have you tried converting your .rm file to wav and then to mp3?
                    Is your file strictly an audio file or does it have video components? Can you play the file the file on your computer without being connected to the internet? Do you know if your .rm file is copy-protected?

I am hopeful that as you explore the questions above that you will find a solution for your problem. If not, please let us know what you have tried and what the results were and perhaps we can come up with something else.

Best wishes,
                    Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• ponniyinselvan

Bill,

None of the suggestions made any difference.

- I have Real Player 10.0
                      - I installed both encoder and decoder
                      - RM files are associated with Real Player
                      - Yes. It occurs even if the priority is lowered
                      - I tried converting to wav format. Same issue
                      - The file is audio only.
                      - Yes. I can play it without being connected to the internet(I created the rm from an Audio-CD track 5 years back).
                      - It is not copy-protected.

Comment

• xoas
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Apr 2002

You could try converting your Real Audio files to wav as they play through your sound card and dMC Auxilary Input.The procedure is very similar to the procedure outlined admirably by Christina S. and Razgo (author of the referenced thread) as such:
                        [/QUOTE]Try the procedure given here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=2213

Make sure you have installed dMC Auxiliary Input, dMC as well as any codecs you may need for converting to various types of files.

The summary of the steps (in my own words ):
                        Quote:
                        1) Make sure Volume Controls indicate your input that is enabled is either Stereo Mix or WAV (this refers to the sound coming from the sound card, not the type of file played)- it depends on your sound card - certainly not CD input. The settings here differ a lot from one sound card to another, you'll have to experiment a bit.
                        2) Start dMC Auxiliary Input and make your settings for the output file that will capture the audio of the midi file - I prefer to capture to wav first and convert later. Explore all these settings and use your intuition, that's the best I can say.
                        3) Start playing the midi file in the player that supports it and hit the Stop button (do not close this player)
                        4) Go back to dMC Auxiliary Input and hit the record button.
                        5) Go back to the player and hit the Play button - if you look at the UV Meter in the dMC Recording window you should see it active and moving.
                        6) When the song has finished playing, hit the Recrod button in dMC Auxiliary Input once again to stop recording. After a few seconds the wav file has been created, with the name and in the folder specified previously in the dMC settings.
                        7) Use dMC in the regular way to convert the wav file to mp3 or any other format you wish, unless you'd defined your output file other than wav (e.g. mp3) in the beginning.

This is a tricky procedure, but once you understand it, it becomes easier and almost second nature and it will solve numerous conversion problems as more file types are added that dMC does not support outright.[QUOTE]

The other thing you mught try is to check your file associations to see if your system is set for Real Audio files to be handled through dMC. Go Start>All Programs>dBpowerAMP Music>Configuration>File Associations. Make sure there is a check by your Real Audio files. Or you can go to Folder Options on your Control Panel, click on the File Association tab and change your file associations for Real Audio files there. Also go Start>All Programs>dBpowerAMP Music Converter>Configuration>dMC Configuration. Check to make sure that your Real Audio codec shows up as being among the codecs installed.
                        Let us know how these measures turn out.
                        Best wishes,
                        Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by xoas
                          I take it that you only have this problem with Real Audio files and not with other file formats. I also assume that you are trying a fairly straightforward conversion and not anything like trying to compress to mp3 at a 32 kbs bitrate. Assuming these two things, I would try uninstalling your dMC Real Audio codecs, delete those codecs from your registry, and try reinstalling them.
                          If my assumptions are wrong then these steps may not help you, so please stop and review them before taking action. If you need help figuring out to to the procedure I described, please let us know.
                          Best wishes,
                          Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• Unregistered

You have to remember of course that when conveting from Real Audio the converting % bar will remain at 0% throughout the conversion and the conversion will take exactly the length of the audio file...

This is stated on the RA codec download page... so if your real file is fairly long you may think it's freezing when in fact it's working fine.

Any help?

Comment

Working...

]]>