title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't use convert command from drop down menu

Re: Can't use convert command from drop down menu

[QUOTE]if I try the beta 11 release will this really mess up my system
    so I can't even come back and use 10.1?[/QUOTE

I firmly believe that the dMC r11 beta will NOT mess up your system (I have installed it on my own system and for the time being I plan on keeping it). If you use dAP to play audio files then I would recommend installing the dAP r3 beta 5 as well but this may be pure superstition on my part.

Will it fix your problem? I don't know. Rechecking your file extensions, as Christina suggests is worth trying and it is certainly worth checking out. It doesn't take much time. Try that first.

A few off-beat theories I have had prompt me to ask:
    Is this a shared computer and, if so, do you usually log on as the Owner?
    Does your computer have multiple hard drives? If so, are your operating system, dMC and your audio files all on the same drive?

I'll keep thinking about this but Spoon should be back home by now and getting reoriented and perhaps he can put his finger on the source of this problem in a few days.

Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Wink Re: Can't use convert command from drop down menu

To both Christina & Bill,

I figured with all this wondering why I was having this problem I decided to just live with it. So I went ahead and installed the Power Pack that I had purchaced last year and be done with it. BTW I still don't know how to use it yet; but I paid for the darn thing so I'm going to atleast have the option to use it.
    Today I needed to convert some files that I'd just downloaded and for the fun of it I tried the convert command from my drop-down menu and guess what?
    Yup.....It worked.

I have done absolutley nothing to my system except installed the Power Pack.
    This has never resulted in any way with my being able to convert from the drop-down menu. I do belive that there is a demon or omen or some weird power going on here that I can't explain.

hehehe I just hope it lasts :p :D

dBpoweramp Guru

well i am glad it is all working again. did you also update the powerpack too? to know what your missing out on with the powerpack just do everything you would normally do then uninstall it and try and do things again.

i panick the moment i see i forgot to reinstall the powerpack. dmc looks so naked with out it

Wink Re: Can't use convert command from drop down menu

I didn't think there was an update for the Power Pack. There is no version number on it. It just says DMC-PowerPack-Registered.exe. Besides with my luck it would most likely mess things up again and I would be back to square one. I'll just leave well enouph alone and try and figure out what it does and how to use it. From what I've figured is that it has something to do with tagging the file with some custom info. Then again maybe its something else altogether.
    I've always used Winamp Pro 5. How does the DMC Player stack up to this?

Anyway, thank you both for your help and suggestions.
    You guys(and gal)are the best :komisch9:

I'm totally messed up now. I tried it this morning and...you gessed it.
    its not working again. I have done nothing to my system. Your program
    decided today to not let me be able to convert from my drop-down
    menu once again. I give up! I guess Its just up to my computer
    as to when it allows me to work properly.

Administrator

If some other program changes the association for mp3 files (ie Windows Media Player has the files, then you open iTunes it will take over mp3 files), the Configuration program needs to be re-run to add the Convert To back to the menu.

Red face Re: Can't use convert command from drop down menu

the Configuration program needs to be re-run to add the Convert To back to the menu.

Hi Spoon,
    What do you mean by "re-running the config program"?
    Do you mean to just re-install?
    Because I have uninstalled (even deleted everything from the registry)
    and re-installed with no success.

When I first installed dmc years ago it worked fine for a year and more.
    Then it stopped working. Then a few months down the line it would start working again. But never for very long. Its just frustrating knowing that
    my music converter can convert from the drop-down menu(and does from time to time)then for some unknown reason decides to not allow me toi do it anymore.

The program does work, but most of the time I have to do it by clicking the dmc icon on my quick launch bar and accessing the convert feature from there.

Would maybe installing the 11 beta version help me here?
    Thanks for your time,
    Misty :cry:

Quote Originally Posted by misty miss
    the Configuration program needs to be re-run to add the Convert To back to the menu.

Hi Spoon,
    What do you mean by "re-running the config program"?
    Do you mean to just re-install?
    Because I have uninstalled (even deleted everything from the registry)
    and re-installed with no success.

When I first installed dmc years ago it worked fine for a year and more.
    Then it stopped working. Then a few months down the line it would start working again. But never for very long. Its just frustrating knowing that
    my music converter can convert from the drop-down menu(and does from time to time)then for some unknown reason decides to not allow me toi do it anymore.

The program does work, but most of the time I have to do it by clicking the dmc icon on my quick launch bar and accessing the convert feature from there.

Thanks for your time,
    Misty :cry:
    Ok, as I have experienced this phenomenon myself just the other day, I will say that occasionally (apparently whenever Windows Explorer bombs out unexpectedly) the plugin that allows conversions from Explorer gets messed up, and the file associations for this service get lost. I have reinstalled dMC all over again (after uninstalling) and noticed the box that is to be checked specifically requesting that Explorer associate certain file types with dMC to enable right click conversion. This is the place you have to find. This is available in dMC Configuration and it is under Windows Shell Integration. You want all those options to be checked and set properly. This will allow among others "Convert to" on Explorer right click, Explorer ID Tag Property Pages, etc. These are the options I had lost, expecially when Explorer bombs out as it does every so often. Maybe reinstalling was not called for, just redoing the configuration. Next time this happens, i'll try just this step and see if it works. it woudl be nice if WIndows Explorer didn't bomb out so ften - and it always seems to be when I'm hovering over a media file, inspecting the ID tag, or preparing to select dMC in order to convert.... Don't know who's the culprit there.

Hope it helps.

No. The problem you are havng seems to be related to either the Windows Shell Integration (as Christina seems to be indicating) or with your system's file associations (as Spoon is suggesting). Neither problem would be solved by going to the r 11 beta (although you could always try it for other features, should you choose to do so).

If Christina's suggestion does not work try going either:
    Start>All Programs>dBpowerAMP>Configurations>File Associations
    or
    Start>Control Panel>Folder Options>File Types

and change the file association for mp3 files to establish dMC as the system's default program for opening your mp3 files.

In the meantime, be alert to whatever other program you are using that is highjacking your file associations (or interfering with you Windows Shell integration). Although I have Nero installed (hardly ever use it) I don't have any problems with it but we have had another user with a similar problem which seemed to be related to Nero.

Anyway, give Christina's suggestion a try and ,if that doesn't work try one of these other routes. Let us know how you make out.

Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Talking Re: Can't use convert command from drop down menu

Success,
    I finally figured out what the problem was. It was that messed up program "Acousticia MP3 to WAVE Converter .I don't even know why I would have that installed. I guess it was kind of automatic for me to install it. That program "sucks" and DMC converts to CD quality wav's much faster and a whole lot better anyway. :( I feel sooooo stupid rite now. lol )
    BTW...I have always made sure that my configuration was set right.
    Anyway I'm a happy camper now.
    While I'm here I have one more question.

I paid $19 for my registered Power Pack a coulpe years ago.

My question is: On your page you say to be sure to upgrade
    to Power Pack 3. Do I need this new version 3? And if so
    can I just install it over the version I have now? Or do you need
    to send me another download link? This name "misty miss" is not
    the name that I registered Power Pack under; so if you need to
    send me another link for the current version, please give me an
    intertnet address that I can get in-touch with you to verify that
    I have a registered version. Do I even need the updated version?
    In my program folder the Power Pack text file says version 3. Is
    this the latest version? As I said before, its been a couple years ago.
    Thanks for all your help.
    Misty

Administrator

Pretty much everything is updated with the new programs (ie dMC R10).

Things are changing though...soon (as in weeks, not days) there will be a new web page where an order number cna be typed and update software be downloaded.

Now off to check out that program, check it is not upto no good...

Sorry to drag this thread back to life, but I believe I am experiencing the same problem. I've used dbpowerAMP for years, and purchased the registered version of 11.5 earlier this year. It has worked perfectly up until recently. Now however, I have the "Convert To" option on my right-click menu where appropriate, but if I click on it, nothing happens.

I can launch the converter directly and then select the file to convert, but the right-click option is one of the things i like about dbpowerAMP. I used the configuration tool to remove and re-add "Convert To" to the context menu, but no luck. I've also removed the application completely with the instructions listed in the FAQ, rebooted, and then reinstalled, to no avail.

I assume something is trapping the call to the dll, or the dll calling the app, but I haven't been able to figure out what. I don't have the app installed that misty miss described, and I haven't installed any similar programs recently that I can recall. Anyone have any thoughts?

Administrator

Try the R12 beta (in the beta section of this forum).

Yet another user here with a similar problem. Been using dbPowerAMP for a long time. Suddenly, today, the integration with Explorer disappeared entirely. There's no longer a pop-up tooltip with info on audio files, and there's no longer a "Convert" choice in the context menu.

This problem persists even when I explicity select those options in the "Options" dialog box. Whether I have everything turned on or everything turned off, the same behavior occurs.

I have NOT installed anything that has changed any file extensions. And I have the same codecs I always had.

Is there a .DLL or something somewhere that I can re-register to fix this? (How is the Explorer integration implemented?)

Thanks for any help!

-ardee.

Administrator

Uninstall, reboot then reinstall.