title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central
 
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: "Vol. 1" etc. not recognised as part of album title?

  1. #1
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    58

    "Vol. 1" etc. not recognised as part of album title?

    I've discovered something a bit weird.

    If I name an album, for example, "Star Trek: Voyager Collection Vol. 1" the "Vol.1" part is being completely ignored by Asset. It's not displayed in any of the album details and it's not discovered during searches.

    If I name one album "Star Trek: Voyager Collection Vol. 1" and another "Star Trek: Voyager Collection Vol. 2" Asset eliminates the "Vol. X" part from both titles and lists both albums as "Star Trek: Voyager Collection" thus merging all the tracks into the one album!

    Neither appears in search results either.

    Naming the albums "Volume 1" or "Vol.1" (no space) seems okay but "Vol. 1" (with a space) doesn't register at all. Is this happening for a reason?

    Thanks!
    Last edited by Spymaster; 09-10-2023 at 07:27 PM.

  2. #2
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    400

    Re: "Vol. 1" etc. not recognised as part of album title?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spymaster View Post
    If I name an album, for example, "Star Trek: Voyager Collection Vol. 1" the "Vol.1" part is being completely ignored by Asset. It's not displayed in any of the album details and it's not discovered during searches.

    If I name one album "Star Trek: Voyager Collection Vol. 1" and another "Star Trek: Voyager Collection Vol. 2" Asset eliminates the "Vol. X" part from both titles and lists both albums as "Star Trek: Voyager Collection" thus merging all the tracks into the one album!
    There are potentially a number of factors feeding into this (including your tags), but the first one I'd try - as long as you don't store 'Disc X' in your album tag - is to set 'Multi-Disc Album' to 'Leave Album Tag Untouched'.

  3. #3
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    58

    Re: "Vol. 1" etc. not recognised as part of album title?

    Quote Originally Posted by simbun View Post
    There are potentially a number of factors feeding into this (including your tags), but the first one I'd try - as long as you don't store 'Disc X' in your album tag - is to set 'Multi-Disc Album' to 'Leave Album Tag Untouched'.
    Thank you for your reply. "Multi-disc album" is currently set to "Combine multi-disc albums as one". If I change this to "Leave album tag untouched" won't it mess with albums that genuinely consist of multiple discs?

  4. #4
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    400

    Re: "Vol. 1" etc. not recognised as part of album title?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spymaster View Post
    Thank you for your reply. "Multi-disc album" is currently set to "Combine multi-disc albums as one". If I change this to "Leave album tag untouched" won't it mess with albums that genuinely consist of multiple discs?
    I've failed to find exhaustive documentation on this as I believe it's not only affected by other settings but also how you tag your files.

    I made this change and my albums were still correctly grouped so I believe it means that it will still group them, but it won't modify the album tag (remove Disc/Vol) to perform the grouping. How that differs from "Remove 'Disc x' if present" I don't know!

  5. #5
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    58

    Re: "Vol. 1" etc. not recognised as part of album title?

    I'll try this tonight (I've been travelling with work)

    It does seem odd that Asset would recognise "Vol.1" etc as a similar thing to a disc number. Disc number is a physical and/or technical attribute (and is a tag), whereas Volume is an artist attribute, e.g. "Greatest Hits Vol. 2" (and forms part of the title). They are completely different kinds of thing.

  6. #6
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    58

    Re: "Vol. 1" etc. not recognised as part of album title?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spymaster View Post
    I'll try this tonight (I've been travelling with work)

    It does seem odd that Asset would recognise "Vol.1" etc as a similar thing to a disc number. Disc number is a physical and/or technical attribute (and is a tag), whereas Volume is an artist attribute, e.g. "Greatest Hits Vol. 2" (and forms part of the title). They are completely different kinds of thing.
    Re: above. Typo. "Artist" attribute should instead say "artistic" attribute.

  7. #7
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    400

    Re: "Vol. 1" etc. not recognised as part of album title?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spymaster View Post
    It does seem odd that Asset would recognise "Vol.1" etc as a similar thing to a disc number.
    I agree it is strange, especially how it's only "Vol. X" and not "Vol X", "Vol. X", "Volume X".

    I did a quick (but fairly thorough) test yesterday, and this is my understanding of the album grouping logic

    Album Defined By Folder = Y
    Files have to reside under a single folder to be grouped
    except if you use the CD0X standard AND set Multi-Disc Album to 'Combine Multi-Disc Albums as One'

    Multi-Disc Album
    Combine Multi-Disc Albums as One: Groups and processes Disc/Vol "tidy"
    Show as 'Album, Disc x': Groups and processes Disc/Vol "tidy", but forces display as 'Album, Disc x' for any discs > 1
    Remove 'Disc x' if Present: Groups and processes Disc/Vol "tidy"
    Leave Album Tag Untouched: Groups but doesn't process Disc/Vol "tidy"


    There's likely to be more nuance to it than I was able/prepared to test, but a simpler configuration would seem to be:

    Album Defined By Folder: Y/N
    Process Disc/Vol tidy: Y/N

    [album], Disc [Disc] for album listing: Y/N

  8. #8
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    151

    Re: "Vol. 1" etc. not recognised as part of album title?

    Handling of multi-disc albums has changed in recent versions, so I did some testing when R2023-05-15 was released (with the windows version).

    The following is from the textfile I wrote then. Hopefully I managed to cover most of it, but there could still be quirks that I missed.

    Code:
    Test of "Multi-disc album" (with "Album defined by folder" unticked):
    
    Combine multi-disc albums as one:
     Combine based on ALBUM suffix "Vol. X" or "Disc X"
     Suffix is then removed from ALBUM
     TRACK added by 100 on second disc, 200 on third disc etc (but nothing on first disc)
     TRACK also treated if DISCNUMBER>1 (independent of suffix)
    
    
    Show as "Album, Disc X":
     If ALBUM suffix is "Vol. X" or "Disc X", then suffix is omitted and reinstated as "Album, Disc X"
     Suffix is missing from the first disc if DISCNUMBER & DISCTOTAL are missing
     Suffix is missing from the first disc if DISCNUMBER is present & DISCTOTAL is missing
     Fails = combines to display "Album, Disc 0" if DISCNUMBER is missing & DISCTOTAL is present
     Also splits album if DISCNUMBER>1 (independent of suffix)
    
    
    Remove "Disc X" if present:
     Combine based on ALBUM suffix "Vol. X" or "Disc X"
     Suffix is then removed from ALBUM
     TRACK is untouched
     Basically the same as "Combine multi-disc albums as one" except TRACK is untouched
    
    
    Leave album tag untouched:
     No action
     ALBUM is untouched
     TRACK is untouched
    Personally I select "leave album tag untouched". My multi-disc albums have their TRACK tags prefixed with discnumber, i.e. 101, 201 etc (starting from disc 1, while Asset's option "combine multi-disc albums as one" starts adding 100, 200 etc from disc 2).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •