title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Track Ripped Insecurely - how to overcome?

Track Ripped Insecurely - how to overcome?

I only started using the Ripper a couple of weeks ago to rip my ~1600 CDs.
    It's doing a great job - mostly.
    One problem that is frustrating me though is when I rip an album sometimes I get the error - Track Ripped Insecurely - so one track is not ripped whilst the rest are.
    I have listened to the tracks on the CDs with errors and they sound fine.
    If I use Win Media Player it happily ripps the entire disc.
    Obviously the Ripper is creating a better rip, so is there a way I can force the Ripper to rip a track that has an error?

Many thanks
    Pete

Administrator

Re: Track Ripped Insecurely - how to overcome?

It does rip, when it reports an insecure track it is insecure (if verified by AccurateRip for other tracks and the confidence is greater than 2).

You did the right thing by listening to the track, if you cannot hear the error (it could be very short), then that is fine, the other options:

get a replacement cd
    try to repair the CD, toothpaste, etc
    clean the cd,
    get a different cd drive which might read through the error

Thanks @spoon

Please see the pics attached.

The log says 12 tracks ripped, 11 accurate 1 inaccurate - but the folder where the files go only has 11 tracks...
    Does it put the inaccurate tracks somewhere else?

rip.jpg
    moz.jpg

Administrator

You have an abort option set, so best to set ripping method to burst and rip that track on its own if secure ripping cannot rip.

Nice one - Thanks!
    Worked a treat

Was especially annoyed at that error on the above rip - all good until the last track on Disc 5!!!

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by pete8 View Post
    Was especially annoyed at that error on the above rip - all good until the last track on Disc 5!!!
    Depending on how bad the error is you may be able to fix it with CUETools.

Pete,
    I've been ripping my CDs for about a month now, ~700 CDs. I've found some that just will not rip securely - brand new CDs too. I used all three CDROMs - one is better than the others, but still some discs refuse to rip securely. I decided to try it out in burst mode instead. They rip as 'Inaccurate', but on playback in CyberLink they sound just fine. It's not ideal, but it seems to work.
    YMMV...
    c.

Quote Originally Posted by cc_rider View Post
    Pete,
    I've been ripping my CDs for about a month now, ~700 CDs. I've found some that just will not rip securely - brand new CDs too. I used all three CDROMs - one is better than the others, but still some discs refuse to rip securely. I decided to try it out in burst mode instead. They rip as 'Inaccurate', but on playback in CyberLink they sound just fine. It's not ideal, but it seems to work.
    YMMV...
    c.
    Okay, here's a twist I have not seen before. I have a CD (two actually) that are ripping incredibly slowly. Neil Young's 'Psychedelic Pill', both discs. First disc got one track 'Accurate', the other three 'Inaccurate'. Disc 2 tracks are 100% 'Inaccurate', and has been ripping for almost five hours now.

Discs are NEW. I wonder if Neil Young, in his quest for sonic accuracy, made these CDs in some weird format dB can't get at? I was wondering if anyone else has ripped these CDs, and if so did they get similar results?

I have a few other discs that have 'Inaccurate' tracks, but those are usually pretty obvious: scratched, etc. These discs are brand new. Weird.
    Great site here, and a great product too!
    c.

dBpoweramp Guru

Where did you get them from? They might be fakes, like half the other stuff for sale from some Internet sites. The other possibility if they are "New Old Stock" is that the CD might be copy protected, but I rather doubt that, as it was released in 2012, and I rather thought copy protection had been abandoned by then.

dBpoweramp Guru

My Psychedelic Pill CD ripped fine.

dBpoweramp Guru

Okay, here's a twist I have not seen before. I have a CD (two actually) that are ripping incredibly slowly. Neil Young's 'Psychedelic Pill', both discs. First disc got one track 'Accurate', the other three 'Inaccurate'. Disc 2 tracks are 100% 'Inaccurate', and has been ripping for almost five hours now.
    In my setup a typical rip takes less than 6 minutes. If a rip looks like it's going to be taking more than three times that, there's almost no chance of it being accurate so I don't see the point in putting the drive through it, so I'll try:
    • burst mode
    • other drives
    • other software (Exact Audio Copy, CUERipper or XLD if you're on mac.

If any of those steps produce a full output (even with errors) then I'll run it through CUETools to see if those errors can be repaired.

If at the end of all that I still don't have an accurate rip, then I'll convince myself that I didn't like that CD anyway

Discs are NEW. I wonder if Neil Young, in his quest for sonic accuracy, made these CDs in some weird format dB can't get at? I was wondering if anyone else has ripped these CDs, and if so did they get similar results?

I have a few other discs that have 'Inaccurate' tracks, but those are usually pretty obvious: scratched, etc. These discs are brand new. Weird.
    Great site here, and a great product too!
    c.
    Purchased dbpower last November, successfully ripped 1,400 cd's as WAV files, unsuccessfully about a dozen (including brand new ones). Recently "tried" ripping Grateful Dead "Here Comes Sunshine", 17 cd box set. On first 2 cd's all tracks except 1 ripped successfully, the one's that didn't took over 7 hours each (for the 2 tracks on separate cd's).Tried burst mode mode on each track but neither showed in usb ssd drive library.The program also appeared to "freeze"and needed to be "force shutdown" on Mac and restarted. This had never happened before. Finally gave up and used Apple Music built in ripper, 17 cd's ripped to WAV files in under 20 minutes, sound perfect

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Palmerh3750 View Post
    Purchased dbpower last November, successfully ripped 1,400 cd's as WAV files, unsuccessfully about a dozen (including brand new ones). Recently "tried" ripping Grateful Dead "Here Comes Sunshine", 17 cd box set. On first 2 cd's all tracks except 1 ripped successfully, the one's that didn't took over 7 hours each (for the 2 tracks on separate cd's).Tried burst mode mode on each track but neither showed in usb ssd drive library.The program also appeared to "freeze"and needed to be "force shutdown" on Mac and restarted. This had never happened before. Finally gave up and used Apple Music built in ripper, 17 cd's ripped to WAV files in under 20 minutes, sound perfect
    Lots of posts on the Steve Hoffman forums about ripping (and other) problems with this Grateful Dead box set (using both dbpa and other rippers).
    Last edited by garym; 07-22-2023 at 01:23 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Palmerh3750 View Post
    Finally gave up and used Apple Music built in ripper, 17 cd's ripped to WAV files in under 20 minutes, sound perfect
    It would be interesting to see what the AccurateRip reports look like on those rips using PerfectTunes (free for verifying rips).

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by simbun View Post
    It would be interesting to see what the AccurateRip reports look like on those rips using PerfectTunes (free for verifying rips).
    I suspect it will be another few weeks before the AR results are updated in the AR database, as these disks have only been available for a week or two.