title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Running from a non-netwrk connect PC

Running from a non-netwrk connect PC

Hi, I've had the trial version of dBpoweramp running nicely on my old Win 7 Pro Tower PC, but the trial period has now expired. Can I run it paid-for without having to network connect? I do normal work on a net-connected Win 10 laptop but it has no shiny disc drive, whilst the old Win 7 Pro tower has a high-speed BD drive which does things at record speed. I don't want to net-connect this PC because MS would constantly bother me about updating software, which I don't want to do.

Alan Roberts

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Running from a non-netwrk connect PC

Not sure. I assume so. But you realize that if it is not network connected, when you insert a disc to rip, it won't find any metadata (needs internet for that). So it will just show, track 1, track 2, etc. with zero information. You'll need to manually enter track names, artist, album, etc. Plus it can't do the AccurateRip comparisons to insure you have an accurate rip. Seems like a bad idea. I no longer have any CD readers on my main computers either. I just use a full size CD reader inside a USB connected box. Such as these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

I neither need nor want the network info, I just want the files as wav or mp3 and I can't do it on the laptop because I have no external shiny disc drive, I just want to run the software legitimately on my non-net-connected Win7 Pro tower. I really don't want this machine to be network connected, it's an 8-core video editing machine that has not been network connected since I collected it from the builder around 10 years ago.
    Last edited by Alan Roberts; 05-19-2023 at 02:24 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

You lose most of the advantages of dBpoweramp without a network connection. I'd assume your laptop has a USB connection, you should either get a portable USB DVD drive or do as I do when I travel with my laptop, take a full size desktop style DVD/CD drive and use a SATA to USB adapter with it. I've ripped hundreds of CDs using dBpoweramp that way.

I can understand why you might want not to have your video editing machine on the Internet, particularly if it is 10 years old (which means it is running an obsolete (version of an) operating system and has never had any security updates. With that, just be very careful that any USB thumb drives or external storage you plug into it are malware free before plugging them into it, as that is a very common way for machines to become compromised.

You're concentrating on telling me why I should not do what I want to do, that is not goinh to work with me.

I'm extremely careful about what I put on the Win7 tower, for all the reasons you mention. I have a LG external drive which came with the laptop, but the USB connection is very small and has proved so fragile that it no longer works. I've used the laptop for several years without needing it, and really don't want to go down that road.

The drive in the tower is a BD burner, and it can read CDs at 30x speed, so ripping CDs happens faster than I can deal with the files, which is how I want to use it. The advantage of dBpoweramp is that it can cope with this by using all 8 cores of the CPU, so managed to rip 50 CDs in one day. I don't need any of the net-connection cleverness. I've tried a few alternative softwares but none comes close, so I still want to use dBpoweramp on the tower and have yet to hear anybody tell me whether I can get it to run, paid for, without a net connection.

So, can I do that, and if so, how?

Administrator

You can copy the registered install on a USB stick and it will work.

Oooh, goody. So I install it on the net-connected laptop, register it, and somehow copy the registration data onto a memory stick (how?), then install on the non-net-connected PC and somehow get the registration from the memory stick (how?).

Have I got that right?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Roberts View Post
    Oooh, goody. So I install it on the net-connected laptop, register it, and somehow copy the registration data onto a memory stick (how?), then install on the non-net-connected PC and somehow get the registration from the memory stick (how?).

Have I got that right?
    Correct. The "registration data" is not data, but instead is an executable file that fully installs dbpoweramp. You get that file by purchasing dbpa and it will give you an "install file". Download this executable file to your laptop. Then you copy that file to a thumb drive. Then plug that thumb drive into your Win7 machine and copy the executable file to your desktop. Then double click on the executable file to install the dbpoweramp program.

Save the order number when you purchase, as you would use that to obtain another copy of the executable install file in the future should you need to reinstall. You'd do that at this link.
    https://www.dbpoweramp.com/registration/

Brilliant, that's exactly what I wanted to know. Many thanks ...

Alan Roberts

Wonderful, all installed and working. Thank you :-)

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Roberts View Post
    Wonderful, all installed and working. Thank you :-)
    Excellent