title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Mac OS X Sierra (10.12) support dropped?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bobloblaw
    • May 2023

Mac OS X Sierra (10.12) support dropped?

The release notes suggest that the Mac OS X version of Music Converter should run on Sierra (10.12), but the version of the app up for download on the site today (version 2023-01-20), when I mount the DMG, says that it requires 10.13. Was this an unintentional change, or did something necessitate this?

My computer can run High Sierra (10.13), but the only download version I can find is from the Apple Store and it seems to have an expired signature, and won't run. So I'm stuck at 10.12.6 on this computer for now. I still use this computer for ripping CDs (currently using XLD), but I thought I'd try dbPoweramp, for its HDCD decoding. If Sierra support won't be restored, is there a way to download an older version of the app to try?

Thanks!
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Mac OS X Sierra (10.12) support dropped?

High Sierra is the minimum version now, we will update our site.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• simbun
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2021

There are lots of good reasons to use dBpoweramp but HDCD isn't one of them. As far as I know dBpoweramp just leverages ffmpeg (on mac) and doesn't identify the active features, so you're better of processing them manually (if it's needed at all).

One of the sites I found particularly useful was hydrogenaudio, but there are lots of threads on this forum too.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

HDCD is not from ffmpeg, it was based on HDCD decoding from Christoper Key
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• simbun
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2021

Originally posted by Spoon
          HDCD is not from ffmpeg, it was based on HDCD decoding from Christoper Key
          I guess that's libhdcd then, but either way my point was just that the tools are open source so there's no need to worry about upgrading your OS just to get HDCD decoding, and given there's no HDCD specific ripping requirement your XLD rips should be fine.

My link above had a hash in the URL that wasn't translated correctly by the forum software, so here's the parent link.
          Last edited by simbun; 05-03-2023, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Working...

]]>