title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Strange issue with VST and AU plug-ins on Windows and macOS

Strange issue with VST and AU plug-ins on Windows and macOS

Hi,

Having high expectations with the latest dBampower reference converter version I tried the VST/AU DSP plug-in integration to simplify my conversion workflow. But unfortunately, I have a strange issue with MeldaProduction MPconvolutionEZ VST3/AU on Windows and macOS. And I couldn't find any solution for it, yet.
    Reduced to the simplest DSP workflow I just give different music files in different formats as input, only using the MPconvolutionEZ plug-in as VST3/AU to be converted to different formats like m4a or FLAC. Same workflow on Windows and macOS.
    And here is the 100% reproducible issue.
    With the batch converter I select a few files for the workflow above to be processed. After some seconds, the progress window shows the first running encodings. And after a few minutes or even seconds, some encoding processes seem to hang at roughly 99%. And the affected encoding processes become more and more, until all processes hang.
    After a minute or two, the hanging seems to be gone, and the encoding resumes with further files, until all files are finished. I used around 15 files in a batch.
    Here is a little difference between Windows and macOS behavior. While with macOS the processing seems to resume until the end, after a while, it hangs for ever under Windows.
    But, what is the final result? After a file has been processed completely, I looked into the created files. And I was surprised. All the files have been extended by an appended silence of about 100 minutes! Music players show some 100 minutes length and the title is actually played with this length.
    And this is absolutely reproducible. I also checked and tried some different settings in the plug-ins, but to no avail. Very similar behavior with Windows and macOS.
    Attached you find some screenshots.

IMG_0847.jpeg

IMG_0848.jpg

IMG_0849.jpeg

IMG_0850.jpeg

IMG_0851.jpg

Other precessing than VST/AU seems to be fine. In combination with other audio tools the plug-ins actually do their jobs flawlessly.

So, does anyone know a workaround or the reason for this?

Thanks for any help,
    Matthias

Super Moderator

Re: Strange issue with VST and AU plug-ins on Windows and macOS

Problem being investigated, thanks for reporting.

Super Moderator

Stuck processing with specific effects / long period of trailing silence being sent fixed in new beta build:
    https://www.dbpoweramp.com/beta/DMC-beta-2023-05-05.dmg

Quote Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
    Stuck processing with specific effects / long period of trailing silence being sent fixed in new beta build:
    Hi Peter,

Thanks for your very quick response!
    Unfortunately, after testing the new version with AU, it doesn't make a difference in my situation. Behavior is still the same.
    As I didn't want to lose my latest registered installed version of dBPoweramp, I decided to install the beta as an additional installation. Hope this doesn't make a difference in our case :-).

Thanks again,
    Matthias

aaa

Super Moderator

Thanks for testing.

Should have mentioned that it was fixed only for VST in the previous build. I just fixed it for AU as well-
    https://www.dbpoweramp.com/beta/DMC-beta-2023-05-09.dmg

Verified working with MeldaProduction MConvolutionEZ.

Some clarification regarding beta versions and how to use them-
    • Having multiple installs of the app is fine. Running more than one at once might get weird but should work too.
    • Running app from DMG itself without installing works too.
    • Beta versions run as registered but with a timeout value, typically until the end of the year.
    • Beta versions do not touch saved registration info, so you can go back to registered anytime.

Thanks for testing.

Should have mentioned that it was fixed only for VST in the previous build. I just fixed it for AU as well-
    https://www.dbpoweramp.com/beta/DMC-beta-2023-05-09.dmg

Verified working with MeldaProduction MConvolutionEZ.

Some clarification regarding beta versions and how to use them-
    • Having multiple installs of the app is fine. Running more than one at once might get weird but should work too.
    • Running app from DMG itself without installing works too.
    • Beta versions run as registered but with a timeout value, typically until the end of the year.
    • Beta versions do not touch saved registration info, so you can go back to registered anytime.
    Thank you so much for your quick update. My Mac is out of reach for a few days. Do you also have a latest beta for Windows? So, I could continue testing there.

Thanks,
    Matthias

Hallo,

I tested the very latest version of dBpoweramp without any changes in this behavior. Can someone give an update on this? I know there hasn't been any change logs regarding this. But I was hoping for an improvement ;-).

Thanks,
    Matthias

Super Moderator

Problem confirmed and being investigated, thanks for bumping. Not sure how I missed this before.

Super Moderator

Windows fix:
    https://www.dbpoweramp.com/beta/VST%20PlugIn.dll
    Place in:
    C:\Program Files\dBpoweramp\DSPs

Super Moderator

Mac: AU seems OK - VST has the same problem, fix shortly.

Edit:
    Fixed-
    https://www.dbpoweramp.com/beta/DMC-2023-11-07.dmg
    Last edited by PeterP; 11-07-2023 at 06:30 AM.

Wow! That's a huge step forward. After first steps with the Windows VST3 version, it seems to work. Will do some stress tests as well, but looks good. This definitely simplifies and speeds up my process.
    Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by maddib; 11-11-2023 at 10:34 AM.

Got processed tens of thousands of files with VST3. No issues. It's a dream. Thank you so much for this fix!