title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

network features

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Razgo
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

network features

1. i would like to be able to use cd writer to burn across the network to my cd burner.

2. with sveta, i would like to be able to see my network drive from with sveta windows. currently i can through explorer just go directly to the file and right click convert to, and tranfer directly to my mp3 player that way.
  • RossRoy
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2003

Re: network features

1. I don't see how network burning could be implemented.. From what I understand of CD burning, you have to access the IDE controller directly.. My guess is the only way to achieve that would be to create a "Burning Server" app to which CD-Writer would connect.. But I second that idea, it would be great!

2. I wholeheartedly agree! Access to network drive would be very useful! And, to extend a little on that, access to web drive (don't know how they are called really). But in Network Connections you can create shortcuts to HTTP and FTP folders and can access them directly through Windows Explorer.. That would be great!

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Razgo
      1. i would like to be able to use cd writer to burn across the network to my cd burner.
      I'm going to speak out of turn here, LOL! Just let me know if I make no sense, don't just ignore my rantings.

Assuming you could burn to a cd burner located elsewhere, wouldn't there be a bit of a logistics problem with the burner not being in close proximity to where you are (except if it's on a pc sitting side by side with the one you're using)? Such as the need for putting a blank cd in and closing the tray? Unless of course you have one of those cd burner jukeboxes that are fully atomated, that is.

I know I can access my cd rom drive from another pc on a simple home network. Well, I could until I messed up my network configuration, but that's another story I would expect by the same token to be able to direct the burning of a cd to a cd burner which will be just another drive letter in the network. It may need to have its drivers installed on both pc's as well. I wonder if that's feasible, like for shared printers. Mind you, you'd also have to install it as the recorder device for the software used (I use Nero and it has options to select different devices - which may or may not work). But in truth I haven't tried this so it's purely academic

Comment

• RossRoy
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2003

Nero supports network burning, but through NeroNET which involve a Client-Server architecture where you install the Server application on the PC that has the burner and access it over the network with the client application, so I don't think you can just share the Cd-Burner and map it to a driver letter to actually be able to write to it. (That was many "to" in the same sentence!)

Also your point about having to insert a blank disc is valid, what's the point of burning accross the network if I have to get to the burner and put a disc in anyway? I guess what CD-Writer should so is use something like mkisof to create a CUE/BIN Cd image that you could save to a network share and then burn it on the PC that has the burner.. I guess it's easier to implement and works just as well

Comment

• Razgo
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

Also your point about having to insert a blank disk is valid, what's the point of burning across the network if I have to get to the burner and put a disc in anyway?
          lol, i have gone way beyond that!

think portable. scene one:
          i drop into a mates place and have some mp3's he would like. he doesn't use dap. i plug into his network via my laptop and burn him some tracks from my collection directly to his burner.

scene two: i have no burner on my laptop but my main pc does. dap software esides on my laptop. i download some music to my laptop whilst basking in the sun outside and fire up dcw to burn to my waiting CD-RW in which later that day i go for a drive but grab my CD-RW first to pop into the car CD player

scene 3:
          since sveta allows you to burn data it's only a matter of time before DCW allows it. in this case now i Fire up DCW to back up my email to my waiting CD-RW.

basically for those who don't have a burner on their laptop and or but have access to a burner on another PC.

but i am sure it would open up many other possibilities as well.

so my point is the PC/laptop that doesn't have dap software installed on it can still be used by dap software. as i currently access all my music and stream from my remote PC now. i don't need any music on my laptop because dap streams so fast now

also i am looking ahead for when wi-fi is second nature to everyone.

Comment

• RossRoy
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2003

Seen from that point of view, it makes a lot of sense. Never thought of laptops, seeing as I personally HATE laptops! They don't even cross my mind usually..

I still don't see how you could interface directly with the burner through the network.. If it was that easy, it would've been implemented in many more software, but I don't see many that have the option implemented. But hey! Network burning is still a great idea! How many times do I have to transcode my OGG files to MP3 to send to some friends because they can't grasp the concept that anything other than Windows Media Player can be valid, even if things are done a little differently!

But I digress, I'm going off topic here so I'll shut up before my rant gets out of hands!

Comment

• Razgo
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

I still don't see how you could interface directly with the burner through the network
              thats the easy part. it is a removable device? well so are all the mp3 players out there. the difference? one is IDE and the other usualy USB. i suppose i could get an external USB hard drive and in theory sveta should pick it up.

in winXP pro you can assign your burner to be shared and part of the network so it should all work fine.

Comment

• Razgo
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

i can get as far as seeing Track01.cda to Track16.cda but it only shows 0 bytes on the remote cd player.

oh and i wouldn't be without my couchtop!!

Comment

• RossRoy
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • May 2003

You have a point there.. Guess that's your example of "thinking out of the box"

Comment

• Razgo
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

yes it is it may sound pointless and it might be just for now. but down the track it may open up to a whole host of new things/possibilties.

well i live in hope anyway

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by RossRoy
                      Nero supports network burning, but through NeroNET which involve a Client-Server architecture where you install the Server application on the PC that has the burner and access it over the network with the client application, so I don't think you can just share the Cd-Burner and map it to a driver letter to actually be able to write to it. (That was many "to" in the same sentence!)

Also your point about having to insert a blank disc is valid, what's the point of burning accross the network if I have to get to the burner and put a disc in anyway? I guess what CD-Writer should so is use something like mkisof to create a CUE/BIN Cd image that you could save to a network share and then burn it on the PC that has the burner.. I guess it's easier to implement and works just as well

Comment

• Unregistered

Multi sessioning on DVD+R/+RW or CD-R/RW means that multiple users can add files to a CD or DVD compilation wihtout having to move the disc around the network (obviously not at the same time).

Comment

• Spoon
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2002

You can map network paths as drives.
                          Spoon
                          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>