title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Ongoing file locked issue when using 'delete source file' DSP effect in audio convert

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris Tyas
    • Apr 2023

Ongoing file locked issue when using 'delete source file' DSP effect in audio convert

Hi,
    I have put up with this ongoing issue for many years; I just upgraded from 17 to the latest dBpoweramp version to see if it is fixed but it still isn't (Windows 10).

I right click on groups of audio files within a folder and select 'Convert to'. I convert all my lossless audio files from whatever format they are to Aiff.
    I include the 'Delete Source File' DSP effect so I am left with just the Aiff files in the folder. DSP setting is 'Send to recycle bin' and 'remove empty folders' is not ticked.
    I click convert and files convert no problem with original files deleted providing conversion completes successfully. Click Finish on the converter.

I then want to move the folder to the appropriate place in my file system, I usually drag and drop within windows. But I can't. Any file that is created by the audio converter ramains 'locked'.
    I can't even rename the folder the converted files are in, I get: 'The action cannot be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program, Close the folder or file and try again.'
    I can't delete the files or the folder.
    I have to copy the files or folder to the required location and then delete the original at a later date (usually when I have restarted the PC).

This is so tedious and makes my workflow much slower than it should be.
  • Chris Tyas
    • Apr 2023

Re: Ongoing file locked issue when using 'delete source file' DSP effect in audio con

For reference, just tried it without using the 'Delete source file' DSP effect and exactly the same. Cannot rename or move the folder containing the aiffs, but I can move the individual files from within the folder so this is an issue with the folder that the aiff files are created in by Audio Converter(cannot be renamed, deleted or moved).

Comment

• Dat Ei
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Feb 2014

Re: Ongoing file locked issue when using 'delete source file' DSP effect in audio con

Did you examine which program is locking the files?

Dat Ei

Comment

• Chris Tyas
        • Apr 2023

Originally posted by Dat Ei
        Did you examine which program is locking the files?

Dat Ei
        Hi,
        as above, it is not the files that are locked but the folder they are in.
        How do I examine which program is locking a file/folder?
        This only happens after conversion with Audio Converter.
        Thanks, Chris.

Comment

• Dat Ei
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Feb 2014

Hey Chris,

there are free tools available in the web to check the locking of files and folders. My guess is that it is the Windows file explorer which locks.

Dat Ei

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

If audio converter is no longer in the task list (ie not running) then it is physically impossible for it to lock the files.

99.999% certain it is some other program which have them locked.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• GBrown
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Oct 2009

Any chance the folder you are using when converting these is monitored by something like WMP or a media server program? If these catch a new file under the monitored folder, these will be scanned for tags, changes, etc.

Comment

• Chris Tyas
                • Apr 2023

Originally posted by Spoon
                If audio converter is no longer in the task list (ie not running) then it is physically impossible for it to lock the files.

99.999% certain it is some other program which have them locked.
                Sorted it, was Dropbox locking the files/folder until all uploaded which is very annoying - Onedrive syncs in a much more intelligent way.
                Thanks for your and other responses.

Comment

Working...

]]>