title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Converting higher bit rate flac audio files to basic flac

Converting higher bit rate flac audio files to basic flac

Hello! I had to rebuild my computer and load all the necessary programs again (Windows 10, 64-bit). I have been using dbpoweramp to convert my music files to 190 kbps from higher mp3 and lossless formats for my daily use but I keep the lossless version in my archive. With the reloaded program I can convert my music from any format to 190, but I have problem with converting higher bit rate flac files to the basic level. Before I right clicked on the file name, select Convert, select FLAC, overwrite and run, and I got the converted flac file at 15.. kbps, but now it remains the same as it was, 2..., 4..., 9... kbps. I use the Level 5 default setting as before (if I recall correctly). What am I doing wrong?

Also, some flac files cannot be converted to mp3, while they seem to be OK in flac.

I would appreciate any help.

exorggyg

Administrator

Re: Converting higher bit rate flac audio files to basic flac

You are converting FLAC to mp3? or flac to flac?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    You are converting FLAC to mp3? or flac to flac?
    Both, but I have no problem converting flac to mp3. I have problem converting higher bit rate flac to normal flac.

Administrator

Typically a FLAC file would have a bit rate of 750Kbps not the low values you have mentioned.

Typically a FLAC file would have a bit rate of 750Kbps not the low values you have mentioned.
    Normally the flac music files I download are 1411 kbps. Some - for whatever reason - are 9216, 4608 or 2116. They take too much place, so I always converted them with your software by a right click on the selected tracks, then selected Convert to, Flac encoding,Convert,and finally Overwrite. The software converted the tracks to 15.. kbps and I archived them in this form. But now the kbps remains as at was at the start, nothing changes, while it seems that the program is working, rewrites the tracks one by one.

Normally the flac music files I download are 1411 kbps. Some - for whatever reason - are 9216, 4608 or 2116. They take too much place, so I always converted them with your software by a right click on the selected tracks, then selected Convert to, Flac encoding,Convert,and finally Overwrite. The software converted the tracks to 15.. kbps and I archived them in this form. But now the kbps remains as at was at the start, nothing changes, while it seems that the program is working, rewrites the tracks one by one.

Administrator

If they are more than 16 bit and 44KHz, or 2 channels then that would account for the higher bit rate.

If they are more than 16 bit and 44KHz, or 2 channels then that would account for the higher bit rate.
    My question is simple: I converted thousands of tracks from flac 9216 kbps to flac 15.. kbps with dbpoweramp over the past years, as I described above. There must be something wrong with my program setting. How could I do it? To put it another way: how can I convert a 9216 bit rate flac file into a normal 1411 flac file? In other words: how can I convert a higher bit rate flac file to a lower bit rate flac file?

Administrator

Look at the properties of the file and determine what is different about those files.

Look at the properties of the file and determine what is different about those files.
    I found a solution you offered a year ago to someone else, namely to change the setting of DSF effect resample to 32000. It solved the problem.