title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Problem with playlists in Naim App after migrating Asset

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Problem with playlists in Naim App after migrating Asset

My apologies if this query goes over old ground but I couldn't find a relevant thread on the forum.

I've migrated Asset (and my audio library) to a new Windows PC and in the process it upgraded from R4 to R7.4. I disabled Asset on the old PC, and the Naim app (on an iPad) which I use as my control point, can find and play the audio tracks on the new PC in the normal Asset structure of Dynamic Browsing, etc. However, the playlists which were built in the Naim app, can't be played. The tracks in the playlists will not load with the error message "This track is not available as the server is offline". If I re-enable Asset on the old PC, the playlists can be accessed and played as normal. It is as if the playlists are linked to the tracks on the old PC and won't connect with the same tracks on the new PC.

I've read (on the Naim forum) that playlists on the Naim app won't play following an update to a later version of Asset. Is this correct, or am I doing something wrong? If it is correct, is there a workaround? The prospect of having to rebuild all the playlists on the Naim app is daunting.

Any help appreciated. Thank you.

Administrator

Re: Problem with playlists in Naim App after migrating Asset

The playlist would include the IP address of the server, if you have moved asset to a new pc then the IP address would change.

Thanks for the quick response and the advice, Spoon, I'll have a look at that. Am I wrong to think that the IP addresses of the PC's and other devices will change on a daily basis depending on allocation from the router?

Administrator

Many routers are smart and keep the same.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RobP View Post
    Am I wrong to think that the IP addresses of the PC's and other devices will change on a daily basis depending on allocation from the router?
    Most routers allow to assign static IPs to specific network devices (defined by MAC addresses), while assigning random IPs for the others.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

As @Dat El says, you should be able to go into your router settings and change the IP address of the new machine to that of the old. You'll obviously need to turn off your old machine before you do so, and you may need to release the old assignment too, although you shouldn't need too.

Quote Originally Posted by RobP View Post
    I've read (on the Naim forum) that playlists on the Naim app won't play following an update to a later version of Asset. Is this correct, or am I doing something wrong? If it is correct, is there a workaround? The prospect of having to rebuild all the playlists on the Naim app is daunting.
    Whilst it's trivial to change the IP, if AssetUPnP has changed the way it serves the files then this won't help.

An example of AssetUPnP naming convention (in 7.4):
    Code:
    http://192.168.XX.XX:26125/content/c2/b16/f44100/d8955692836086728906-coB31469C69E80FEFE.flac
    I assume it's:
    c2: channels
    b16: bit depth
    f44100: sampling frequency

That leaves the last part which is, I assume, some kind of hash of the filename and location in the content directory. If that has changed between versions then changing your IP address won't help. You can view this address with BubbleUPnP in the 'Show Metadata' screen.

Thanks all for your help, and Simbun for the detail, much appreciated by non-technical folk such as myself.

I'll have a look at the IP address fix and the file references.

An update on this issue.

It appears that playlists created in the Naim app can't cope with any change to the location of the audio files (for reasons beyond my technical knowledge).

So, I've decided to recreate the playlists in the music folders on my PC. I've started testing this with a test m3u playlist created using Music Playlist Creator. At the moment I can't get Asset to recognise the playlist. I've checked the file path and audio track/playlist settings in Asset's audio library, but no joy.

Any advice or please direct me to another thread if that is more appropriate.

Thanks again.

dBpoweramp Guru

Did you manage to change the IP address of your new PC to that of the old? If you did, did the error message change as the old message ("This track is not available as the server is offline") inferred that it couldn't connect to the server, I'd expect that message to change.

I've just had a quick test and the AssetUPnP URL appears to include a hash of the path specified as your 'Audio Library' in the Advanced Settings config, is the path to the files on your new PC the same as that on your old? If not, I'd start by changing that if possible.

If you include the first 10 lines of your new playlist we can take a look.
    Are you creating the playlist on the same PC as Asset is running?

dBpoweramp Guru

Regarding the playlists you've created using Music Playlist Creator, have you defined this location in your Audio Library settings?
    For more info look here and search for playlists.