title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Adding a Reissue

Question Adding a Reissue

Hi,

How do I add a reissue to my collection? I would like to keep the original but add the reissue. In particular the Beatles 2022 reissue of Revolver. When I rip the reissue DBPoweramp wants to overwrite the older version.
    Thank you

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Adding a Reissue

Quote Originally Posted by allnamestaken View Post
    How do I add a reissue to my collection? I would like to keep the original but add the reissue. In particular the Beatles 2022 reissue of Revolver. When I rip the reissue DBPoweramp wants to overwrite the older version.
    It really depends what software you're using to play your music post rip as it needs to be able to group and present them as two separate rips. I would assume most people simply add '(2022 Reissue)' to the album title.

dBpoweramp Guru

I assume you're trying to rip to the same file location as your old rips. If you've left the artist and album name the same, it thinks you need to replace. On reissues, remixes, deluxe editions, etc. I simply modify the album name, as @simbun notes, I'd use "Revolver (2022 Remix)" without the quotes, as the ALBUM name.

dBpoweramp Guru

That obviously depends on how the file naming is set up. In order to avoid overwriting, with Gary's album name, the album name has to be somewhere in the file naming.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I agree with @simbun, @garym, and @schmidj adding the remaster or rerelease year into the Album name to easily distinguish them in most players and browsers.

dBpoweramp Guru

Just to add some variety to the answers and expand on my previous reply.

There's no right or wrong way to tag, but there is a "lowest common demoninator" approach that will result in your rips working seamlessly with the majority of player software, and that's because they expect the unique combination of AlbumArtist and Album to identify an album, hence my suggestion to change the album name.

I use MinimServer and foobar2000 so it gives me a lot of options as they're both very configurable. As such I'm able to structure my tags more like you'd store them in a database. In the Revolver example I'd store:
    Code:
    ALBUM: Revolver
    RELEASE: 2022 Reissue
    But it goes further, I've also got Revolver in the boxset 'The Beatles in Mono', and I store that as:
    Code:
    ALBUM: Revolver
    BOXTITLE: The Beatles in Mono
    Likewise I have albums that are part of a Series (largely down to my partner) including 'Now That's What I Call Music', and 'BBC Radio 1's Live Lounge' e.t.c, and those are stored as:
    Code:
    ALBUM: BBC Radio 1's Live Lounge 2018
    SERIES: BBC Radio 1's Live Lounge
    All of this data (with the customisation available in the software) allows me to not only display a simple list of albums, but also present an index that's one level above that, to simplify the view.

In the Beatles screenshot attached, rather than a scrolling list of 30 albums I have the boxsets represented as a single selection, with 'Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band' grouping its various releases (including the ones from the boxsets).

Beatles.jpg

Likewise for my compilations, rather than being a lengthy repetitive list of albums that belong to the same series e.g. BBC Radio 1's Live Lounge 2006, BBC Radio 1's Live Lounge 2007 e.t.c. I have them grouped under a heading (indicated currently by the recycle icon...I may revist that).

Compilations.jpg

I'm not suggesting this approach as it's definitely not for most people, but equally don't feel that there's only one correct way of doing things.

dBpoweramp Guru

Very interesting @simbun. Makes a lot of sense. I also use foobar2000 so could do something like this. But my main home music system is LMS/Squeezeboxes and it can't easily deal with the release tag, etc Your approach reminds be a bit of Roon, where one can have a single album title, but all sorts of versions underneath (including Tidal and Qobuz versions). But the main point is well taken.....there is no correct answer here...what works for the user, and the user's server/player.