title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: DSD (DSF) 5.1 Files

DSD (DSF) 5.1 Files

Good afternoon, first post but I've been using dBpoweramp for years now (I own the Reference package). With that said, I am still confused on how to convert DSD/DSF 5.1 files to PCM 5.1 (176kHz/24bit as an example). Every time I try this, mostly all I get with the file is noise (with very little audible audio from the track). What I am doing wrong in trying to convert these 5.1 DSD files to 5.1 PCM?

In the release notes, this is what it states (maybe I'm reading it wrong):

Release 3
    Fixed Issue where DoP encoding could add erroneous data
    Fixed issue where could give slight blip at end of track (where end chunk is encoded as zeros)

Release 2
    Can convert 5.1 DSD
    DSD256 supported
    Able to embed DoP (DSD over PCM)

What am I missing? Appreciate any help/feedback.

Administrator

Re: DSD (DSF) 5.1 Files

Perhaps best to upload one of your dsf files, to dropbox or similar and message me a link,

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Perhaps best to upload one of your dsf files, to dropbox or similar and message me a link,
    Will PM you shortly, thank you.

Here's what it looks like in spectral view for reference when I try to convert to PCM (WAV or AIFF).

Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator

The file you provided converts fine to wave (latest version of dBpoweramp on Windows).

Ensure in dBpoweramp Control Centre >> Audio Codec settings that under DSD Decoder

DSD Processing is 'Decode to PCM'
    Decoding Down Sampling is 96Khz
    and 24 bit

Thank you very much for your help. I don't know how I've missed that over the years but that was a simple fix.

Hi. I also have a question regarding DSD 5.1 files. I would like to down-mix some DSF multi-channel files to (preferably DSF) stereo files to play through a stereo DAC. In dBpoweramp Music Converter, does setting the Channel Count (Fixed Channel Count) to 2 'stereo' do this down-mixing? Many thanks.

Administrator

It does, however fitting 5 channels into two, is not an exact science, depending on music there can be clipping, so using the channel mapper and you can specify the amount of volume adjustment on the down mix.

Great, thanks very much for your timely help (again).