title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Playlist Question

Newbie Playlist Question

Hi,
    I am in the process of ripping a large collection to FLAC and have the Playlist Writer DSP function selected. The issue is, when I drag the newly created M3U playlist to VOX or Apple Music for playback, the track names will load but the files will not play.

In opening the M3U file in a text editor, I see the album and file names fine, just no paths are indicated to the FLAC files themselves so the audio player cannot play them. The reason why I would like a playlist file is because the car I drive needs them in order to play an album off of a USB thumb drive. Plus, instead of dragging each file into VOX, I would like to drag the playlist file and have all of the tracks load and start to play.

I am missing something huge or my thinking is off on how playlists work. Can anyone offer advice on why there aren't paths to the files in my playlist? Thanks very much in advance!

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Newbie Playlist Question

Try editing the the Playlist Writer option Titles, to include the full path and filename.

Thanks mville for the idea. That makes sense but just gotta figure out how to indicate that in a tag. Will let you know how it goes.

dBpoweramp Guru

Try replacing [Title] with [origpath].

Hi mville, First I tried adding [origpath]\[origfilename] to the Playlist Titles box but that did not work. Then I tried just the [origpath]as you suggested but that did not work either but I appreciate the suggestions.

In case it helps, here is an example of the M3U file when I open it as a text file. No paths, just the titles.

*EXTM3U
    *EXTINF:259,Big Audio Dynamite II -
    01 Big Audio Dynamite II - Rush.flac
    *EXTINF:486,Big Audio Dynamite II -
    02 Big Audio Dynamite II - Rush Dance.flac
    *EXTINF:464,Big Audio Dynamite II -
    03 Big Audio Dynamite II - City Lights.flac
    *EXTINF:344,Big Audio Dynamite II -
    04 Big Audio Dynamite II - Rush (live).flac

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz34 View Post
    Hi,
    I am in the process of ripping a large collection to FLAC and have the Playlist Writer DSP function selected. The issue is, when I drag the newly created M3U playlist to VOX or Apple Music for playback, the track names will load but the files will not play.

In opening the M3U file in a text editor, I see the album and file names fine, just no paths are indicated to the FLAC files themselves so the audio player cannot play them.
    The playlist is being created using relative paths. If as you say that "no paths are indicated" then it's assuming that the playlist and the flac files are being stored together. Relative paths are important as they enable you to use the files on different systems, as long as the relationship between the playlist and the files themselves remains. If you were to add the current path to the filename then the playlist will only work on that one desktop.

Ignoring the *EXT lines for now, is the filename in the m3u file correct, and is the playlist and the FLAC file in the same folder?
    Do the filenames contain only ascii characters?
    You could try adding ./ to the beginning of the filenames in the m3u to see if that helped, but it shouldn't matter.
    I assume in the DSP Settings you've left 'Write To:' as 'Same Folder as First Track'.
    The value of Titles and Filename shouldn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by simbun View Post
    The playlist is being created using relative paths. If as you say that "no paths are indicated" then it's assuming that the playlist and the flac files are being stored together. Relative paths are important as they enable you to use the files on different systems, as long as the relationship between the playlist and the files themselves remains. If you were to add the current path to the filename then the playlist will only work on that one desktop.

Ignoring the *EXT lines for now, is the filename in the m3u file correct, and is the playlist and the FLAC file in the same folder?
    Do the filenames contain only ascii characters?
    You could try adding ./ to the beginning of the filenames in the m3u to see if that helped, but it shouldn't matter.
    I assume in the DSP Settings you've left 'Write To:' as 'Same Folder as First Track'.
    The value of Titles and Filename shouldn't matter.
    Thanks simbun. I understand your logic regarding the relative paths. Totally makes sense.

The M3U files are landing in the same folder as the tracks. "Same folder as first track" is selected and everything looks good inside of the folder regarding correct track names and artist.

I just realized that when I drag the M3U to VOX (for example), the tracks load in the correct order with correct names. They just don't start playing. They are greyed out like VOX cannot find the file itself. With other playlists I have made in Kid3, VOX or Apple Music will play them just fine. Thats why I thought CD Ripper wasn't adding a path but I think I am wrong.

dBpoweramp Guru

I just realized that when I drag the M3U to VOX (for example), the tracks load in the correct order with correct names. They just don't start playing. They are greyed out like VOX cannot find the file itself. With other playlists I have made in Kid3, VOX or Apple Music will play them just fine. Thats why I thought CD Ripper wasn't adding a path but I think I am wrong.
    Are you sure VOX supports relative paths? The playlists you've created with Kid3/VOX/Apple Music do they contain relative or fully qualified paths?
    You can obviously put the paths in, but then the playlists won't be portable.

Quote Originally Posted by simbun View Post
    Are you sure VOX supports relative paths? The playlists you've created with Kid3/VOX/Apple Music do they contain relative or fully qualified paths?
    You can obviously put the paths in, but then the playlists won't be portable.

When creating a playlist in Kid3, I do have the "use relative path for files in playlist" button checked.
    I can drag them into VOX, the tracks come over and the first song starts playing automatically. Same with Apple Music.

I did some further testing after your questions. With FLAC files I have downloaded from the internet, I can drag them to Kid3 and make an M3U that works fine. If I drag FLAC files I created in db poweramp to Kid3, the playlist will not work. I can play files ripped from db individually and they sound great, its just the playlist doesn't work. And now that I cannot make a playlist from the db files in Kid3, I think there is something else going on with ripping?

Thanks for your help!
    External CD drive, Mac iOS, Accurate Rip setting
    Last edited by Chaz34; 03-25-2023 at 07:52 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Are you running CD Ripper on a Mac? What options have you set in the Playlist Writer DSP?

I ask because I've just tested CD Ripper for windows (R17.7), using the default values for the Playlist Writer DSP:

The resulting m3u playlist, has relative paths and I can open and play it in all my audio players/software.

If possible, can you rip a popular CD in CD Ripper with default options, and post the resulting m3u playlist contents here?

dBpoweramp Guru

I did some further testing after your questions. With FLAC files I have downloaded from the internet, I can drag them to Kid3 and make an M3U that works fine. If I drag FLAC files I created in db poweramp to Kid3, the playlist will not work.
    If you copy a couple of the files that work in playlists (downloaded from the internet), rename them to 01.flac, 02.flac and add them to kid3 to make a playlist, then do the same for files from dBpoweramp, do both playlists work?

If the dBpoweramp playlist still doesn't work remove all the '*EXTINF:' lines, so you should just be left with:
    Code:
    *EXTM3U
    01.flac
    02.flac
    NOTE: forum software is changing the hash character to a star for some reason.

Does it play then?

If the dBpoweramp files do play for any of the above steps try creating an 'm3u (unicode)' in dBpoweramp instead.

If it still doesn't......

Hi simbun and mville. I appreciate your ongoing assistance here.

mville - I am using dBpoweramp on a mac (os Big Sur) and here is a picture of the Playlist writer settings. They are exactly as you have them on your system:
    Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 9.16.24 AM.png

I ripped Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" with the default settings and the m3u file worked perfectly. Weird. I then immediately put in Genesis "Invisible Touch" and it ripped accuraclty but the m3u file will not work. I have no explanation as to why as I literally took out one CD, put in the next and hit "rip". Both m3u files are here and look identical to me:

M3U side by side.jpgM3U side by side.jpgM3U side by side.jpg

I then tried to replicate the Dire Straits success with some other rips but I couldn't get an m3u to work.

Simbun- I renamed a few interntet tracks as suggested and made a successful playlist in Kid3 which played as expected. I then took a few tracks from a ripped CD I made, renamed them and they will not play. I also tried removing the EXIF lines from a ripped playlist but it had no affect.

I also tried ripping an m3u8 file but had the same results.

Maybe my naming scheme is screwing it up? Would not explain the Dire Straits above.
    Naming.png

dBpoweramp Guru

Do you have to load the tracks "into" VOX before it'll play them? https://vox.rocks/forum/t/playing-music/5531

dBpoweramp Guru

Hmm... the Invisible Touch playlist looks ok to me. Can you copy and paste it's contents here along with your Naming string?

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Hmm... the Invisible Touch playlist looks ok to me. Can you copy and paste it's contents here along with your Naming string?
    Is this what you were referring to?

m3u file contents:

*EXTM3U
    *EXTINF:209,Genesis - Invisible Touch
    01-Genesis - Invisible Touch.flac
    *EXTINF:533,Genesis - Tonight, Tonight, Tonight
    02-Genesis - Tonight, Tonight, Tonight.flac
    *EXTINF:286,Genesis - Land Of Confusion
    03-Genesis - Land Of Confusion.flac
    *EXTINF:299,Genesis - In Too Deep
    04-Genesis - In Too Deep.flac
    *EXTINF:249,Genesis - Anything She Does
    05-Genesis - Anything She Does.flac
    *EXTINF:645,Genesis - Domino
    06-Genesis - Domino.flac
    *EXTINF:231,Genesis - Throwing It All Away
    07-Genesis - Throwing It All Away.flac
    *EXTINF:290,Genesis - The Brazilian
    08-Genesis - The Brazilian.flac

Naming string:
    [MAXLENGTH]80,[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][][]/[MAXLENGTH]80,[year]-[album] (FLAC)[]/[MAXLENGTH]80,[track]-[artist] - [title][]