title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Sound level when converting itunes m4a file to mp3

Question Sound level when converting itunes m4a file to mp3

When I use dBpoweramp music converter to convert a purchased iTunes m4a file to mp3, the sound level that the mp3 file plays at is noticeably lower.
    This has only happened since upgrading from Release 16.4 to Release 16.6. With Release 16.4 both versions of the song sounded the same. This happens for all songs, although the difference in volume can vary.
    I am currently running dBpoweramp Release 16.6 [64-bit] on a Windows 10 PC. Windows 10 has all updates installed.
    Did anything change with Release 16.6 and I need to do something else?
    Is it possible to roll dBpoweramp back to Release 16.4? How?
    I use this feature a lot and would like to get it working again.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Sound level when converting itunes m4a file to mp3

have you added replaygain tags with the new version?

If you mean the ReplayGain and ReplayGain (Apply) DSP effects when converting the file, then yes. Both together and separately, no difference.
    Did you mean something else?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

What is the player being used? If it is still iTunes, then Replaygain values are not used. You need to make sure the "Volume Normalization" option is also being added. Then you need to have iTunes rescan to add these changes. If you are using almost any other player, make sure the Replaygain option is turned on.

Administrator

iTunes would use the Sound Check value, add the DSP Effect 'Replaygain' and select 'iTunes Track Normalization'. (note R16 could be too old to have this option)

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by GBrown View Post
    What is the player being used? If it is still iTunes, then Replaygain values are not used. You need to make sure the "Volume Normalization" option is also being added. Then you need to have iTunes rescan to add these changes. If you are using almost any other player, make sure the Replaygain option is turned on.
    Please disregard my previous post *4 where I mentioned "Volume Normalization" should be added.

As @Spoon has corrected, this should be the "iTunes Track Normalization" option. This can be added along with both Album and Track Replaygain options if you choose. Unfortunately Apple's short sightedness means you have to pick if you want iTunes to prefer Album OR Track. I would suggest Album if you often listen to complete Albums.
    Last edited by GBrown; 03-28-2023 at 10:11 AM.

The music player being used is iTunes, but my PC also has the same issue using Microsoft Groove.
    I tried the Replay Gain with the iTunes Track Normalization option and it works for songs I add back into iTunes (they sound the same in loudness).
    I also tried the Volume Normalize with the desired volume set to 0 dB and that seems to work playing songs in both iTunes and Groove. Not sure if 0 dB is the right level to use but the loudness sounds about the same.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

How to increase loudness when ripping tracks from CD?
    And how to configure Volume normalize(desired volume and maximum amplification)? and Replay gain?
    All my previous same files (ripped before from others) are louder

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

A perfect rip from the CD (AccurateRip verified) will always have the same volume. Perhaps your previous rips had some volume increase applied?

You should consider what your player software is capable of first. Most decent players support ReplayGain. This allows you to keep the original file intact, but adds tag values for Album and Track gain levels. The player can use these tags to apply either of these level adjustments on the fly. Use the ReplayGain DSP Effect, and choose the ones you want to include. I use "Track, Album Gain & iTunes Album Normalization" to get maximum flexibility.

If you really prefer to have these levels applied directly to the file, you can use the DSP effect "ReplayGain (Apply)". The difference is that you have to choose only one way to normalize, and it permanently alters the original file (so it no longer matches the original CD). Alternatively you can also use the "Volume Normalize" DSP and choose from a few other methods for volume adjustment. But again these are permanent changes.