title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Copying Metadata from Clipboard Causes CDRipper to Crash

Copying Metadata from Clipboard Causes CDRipper to Crash

I have been ripping quite a few courses produced by The Great Courses. These can comprise of anywhere between 12 and 36 disks with similar data needed for each disk. When I start a new course I fill in the form in CDRipper (or alter it as necessary) and then copy metadata via CDRipper to the clipboard and paste it into a text file. I can then edit it for the next disk while the current disk is being ripped. This is then copied to the clipboard and pasted via CDRipper to complete the metadata for the next disk when I come to rip it. I have found that after I have done this two or three times CDRipper crashes. The way around the problem appears to be to clear the clipboard after, say, two rips, and then paste details of the third disk from my text file. At the moment I haven't figured out how to submit the dump that is produced to help with the investigation of this problem. How is this done? Has anybody else encountered this problem? The problem has occurred on a Windows laptop using the latest Windows 10 OS.

Administrator

Re: Copying Metadata from Clipboard Causes CDRipper to Crash

Which version of dBpoweramp?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Which version of dBpoweramp?
    Release 2023-01-20 [64-bit] and the application has "No update required" on the home screen.

Administrator

If you copy the clipboard tracks to the clipboard and paste them back without editing does it crash for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    If you copy the clipboard tracks to the clipboard and paste them back without editing does it crash for you?
    No. I have just done that for 6 CDs (no ripping in between) and CDRipper didn't crash

Administrator

Please paste the values here which causes CD ripper to crash

Okay, I will do that the next time it crashes. In the meantime, I have attached a file that is in the same format as the metadata that I edit (and it is trying to paste this kind of data into CDRipper that causes it to crash). The kind of edits I do are done in Editpad Lite as follows:-
    1. Change the disc number at the top (this example shows 18/18 as it was the last disk in a set but assuming it was part of a 24-disk set I would be changing 18/24 to 19/24)
    2. Change 35. to 37. (the next disk would have lessons 37-38 on it if there were more disks)
    3. Change 36. to 39.
    4. Change "The Continuing Sufi Tradition" to the title of lesson 37.
    5. Change "Mysticism in the West Today" to the title of lesson 38.
    6. Save the file
    7. Ctrl+A then Ctrl+C to copy the contents to the clipboard.

Steps 2,3,4, and 5 are done using the "Replace All" function in EditPad Lite. Doing it this way allows me to create metadata for the next disk while the current disk is ripping. I suppose another way around the problem would be to wait till the current disk finishes, paste the metadata I already have on the clipboard into CDRipper and then edit it as above using the Find/Replace available in CDRipper but this would take a little longer.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I have found the cause of the problem. When I initially click on the drop-down to copy from the clipboard the mouse pointer shows as an hourglass. If I click on the copy at this point I believe sometimes it works and sometimes it crashes. I now make sure that the pointer has changed back to an arrow and have just successfully ripped a course of 12 disks with no further problems. Please accept my apologies for my error and thank you for your help - you got me to look a bit more closely at what I was doing!

Administrator

That is indeed strange, when I click the green options button there is no hour glass, the menu shows instantly.

I have discovered that if the data received from the clipboard is not metadata then CDRipper crashes (this happened to me last night when I accidentally forgot to copy the data file to the clipboard). I would have thought in these circumstances I should have got some kind of error message from CDRipper (e.g. "Attempting to copy non-metadata") rather than the program crashing. This isn't what happened previously as all I did before was just relaunch CDRipper and do the copy from the clipboard.

Administrator

Issue confirmed, next update solves issue.

Thank you!