title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Music converter questions

Music converter questions

First time user of dBpoweramp.
    When converting a flac to mp3, is the flac file no longer a flac file? Or is the original flac file stil saved in the original location unmolested? The help files are not clear on this and I assume once I convert a file the file will be overwritten to mp3 and only the mp3 version will exist. I hope this is not the case.
    Also, I don't find an option for 320kbps bit rate. If I want the highest quality bit rate of 320kbps, how do I get that? Will variable bit rate get me that?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Music converter questions

Quote Originally Posted by grtpumpkin View Post
    When converting a flac to mp3, is the flac file no longer a flac file? Or is the original flac file stil saved in the original location unmolested?
    When converting audio files from flac to mp3, dBpoweramp uses the LAME MP3 encoder, which appears as mp3 (lame) in the dBpoweramp Music Converter window.

This encoder will create new file(s) with the .mp3 file extension, in the location determined by what is set in mp3 (lame) > Output To.

Your flac files have the .flac (or .fla) file extension, which cannot be overwritten due to the different file extensions, so your flac files will remain untouched.

Quote Originally Posted by grtpumpkin View Post
    Also, I don't find an option for 320kbps bit rate. If I want the highest quality bit rate of 320kbps, how do I get that? Will variable bit rate get me that?
    To configure the mp3 (lame) encoder read this dBpoweramp: mp3 (Lame)
    Last edited by mville; 03-19-2023 at 10:26 PM.