title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Batch converter changing file's modified dates?

Batch converter changing file's modified dates?

Hi,

Just run a ReplayGain calc on my files, but have noticed that despite having the 'Preserve modified dates' option checked, all the files that I processed show a 'date modified' of today. Have I done something incorrectly?

Administrator

Re: Batch converter changing file's modified dates?

Windows or OSX?

Where are the files stored?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Windows or OSX?

Where are the files stored?
    Hi,

The batch converter is running on Win 11 Pro, files are on a Synology NAS box running the latest version of DSM

Administrator

Which version of dBpoweramp do you have?

I’m running R17.7

Hi,
    Do you need anymore info? I'm happy to re-run the ReplayGain calc if that would help at all?

Administrator

Copy one album to your local computer and run replaygain on it, does the date change?

I already had an album on my local PC, so i used Batch Converter to do the RG calc on half the files, making sure the 'preserve date' option was checked. The dates did not change.
    I then did the other half of the album with the 'preserve date' turned OFF, and this time the dates did change.

I repeated the same steps but this time on al album on my Synology, and in each case the modified date on the file changed to today's date.

Looks like this could be a Synology O/S issue to me so feel free to close this ticket if you agree (or leave it open if you think it needs further investigation)

The reason I raised this was having run a RG calc against my whole library (17,000+ tracks), my incremental backup proceeded to copy the whole lot which, whilst not being the end of the world, wasn't really what I was hoping for (essentially because the RG calc is repeatable, I'm not really that bothered if I have to ever restore a file from backup that doesn't have the RG tags)

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

The only problem with not updating the modified date is that some library managers and players won't recognize the change to the RG info until the next time that file is actually played. That may not be relevant to everyone, but certainly something to consider when deciding whether or not to enable the option to "preserve date" when making any changes.

Administrator

It looks like the synology is not allowing the date to be reset.

Agreed. Bit of a bummer though because all the albums/tracks affected are now showing up as ‘new’ in Asset.

Appreciate its not your issue, maybe worth including in a KB article somewhere just to:
    1. Save you having to answer the same question again
    2. Just as a point of awareness for others