title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: How does TuneFusion know what files in a previously sync'd folder need a rewrite

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    dBpoweramp Guru

How does TuneFusion know what files in a previously sync'd folder need a rewrite

Question on how TuneFusion knows what file to update? Windows 10

My library has "albums" stored with a folder for each album which contains files for all the tracks in the albums. I screwed up and forgot to (re)number the tracks on a large "album" of downloads before placing it in the directory which TuneFusion is set to automatically convert to m4a files for my car. By now they have automatically been converted. I corrected my oversight this evening on the (FLAC) master files. Since this correction only involved changing the contents of the "track" tag and not the filename, and since I don't think the software I used for the correction (mp3tag's auto track numbering function) changes the last modified date of the files, am I correct that TuneFusion, running to only detect changes, will not rewrite the incorrect m4a files? If that is so, if I manually change the last modified date of the album folder but not the hundreds of individual track files in the folder, will TuneFusion update each of the files? Or do I have to run it in the "next sync refresh all" mode which should work but will be a slow process as my library has about 130,000 songs. Or is there a better way?

Administrator

Re: How does TuneFusion know what files in a previously sync'd folder need a rewrite

A normal sync should remove orphaned files, and put new ones?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: How does TuneFusion know what files in a previously sync'd folder need a rewrite

Normal sync works fine on new/removed files. I've never specifically checked on "orphaned" files, I assume you mean the case where the folder they are in has had its filename changed?? If I delete the folder, Windows deletes any folders in it and TuneFusion also removes the deleted folder and any files in it (that it originally synced) from the synced directory. It didn't (I haven't tested this recently) remove such folders when there were non-audio files such as folder.jpg or the text ripping log in the folder. (but that is not my issue at present). It only removed the audio files, but left the parent folder and the folder.jpg and text files undeleted in that case.

Based on a little experimenting, and from what I recall from earlier, if I change the metadata in an audio file using dBpa or mp3tag, those programs don't change the datestamp for the file (there may be an option to do so, I need to look). And in those cases the files in the copy that TuneFusion is syncing never gets updated with the new metadada. (The datestamp isn't changed and the changed metadata doesn't change the length of the file because it is written in otherwise unoccupied space in the tags.)

If this is true, a thought?? If the sync program (in this case TuneFusion) did a checksum of the entire file (including the metadata tags) and saved that in its indexing data, and then recalculated the checksums looking for differences when resyncing, it would find the files with changed metadata (or anything else) and could resync them. Possibly too computationally intensive and slow to do as a "normal" resync, but I'd assume a lot faster than my about 24 hour "refresh all". In that case possibly an option between "normal" and "resync all"??? Or there may now be a better way I missed.

In this case, I ended up using "Next Sync Refresh All, which appears that it is working, but it is only 50% done (after 12 hours, and still running) with syncing my almost 130,000 song FLAC (and a few mp3 and m4a) collection to the m4a copy I eventually put on the SD card in my phone. I gather there is no way of finding only the files with updated metadata but unchanged datestamps and resyncing just those (a few hundred out of the 130,000). Is that true, or is there a better way?

Thanks

John
    Last edited by schmidj; 03-18-2023 at 03:26 PM.

Administrator

I might have confused with the option to 'Detect and resync missing files' option.

Will make a note of this to look at in the future.

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks, Spoon

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by schmidj View Post
    Based on a little experimenting, and from what I recall from earlier, if I change the metadata in an audio file using dBpa or mp3tag, those programs don't change the datestamp for the file (there may be an option to do so, I need to look). And in those cases the files in the copy that TuneFusion is syncing never gets updated with the new metadada. (The datestamp isn't changed and the changed metadata doesn't change the length of the file because it is written in otherwise unoccupied space in the tags.)
    1. MP3Tag has the (enable/disable) option: Preserve file modification time when saving tags
    2. dBpoweramp ReplayGain utility has the (enable/disable) option: Preserve Date Modified File Time

Based on this thread: TuneFUSION > Syncing criteria, when editing my master library tags, I have to disable options 1/2, otherwise TuneFUSION will not sync the edited files.

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks Mville, you saved me from some further experimentation. I'll have to set mp3tag to change the file date/time (which I gather is disabling the modification time preservation, a interesting exercise in semantics...

My tag updates typically are not replay gain but corrections, often of typos or lack of consistancy, in one or more of the tag entries. Even when the corrected tag would have, under my file naming system, changed the file name, I usually don't make the corresponding change in the file name (or parent folder name) unless that change would drastically relocate the (alphabetically) sorted file, as I only use the file/folder names to manually locate the file or folder, such as to make further tag corrections or delete the entry.

Without having looked at the option for the right click dBpa tag editor (or the similar Perfectunes editor) myself, I gather from your post that there is no option to force a file date stamp update when updating tags. I suppose I should investigate the options myself though.

I typically use mp3tag when having to update the entries when there are numerous changes or they involve multiple parent folders, but the right click dBpa editor when fixing typos on a single album or file. The mp3tag editor has so many time-saving aids, but the dBpa editor is even quicker for simple fixes.

dBpoweramp Guru

Without having looked at the option for the right click dBpa tag editor (or the similar Perfectunes editor) myself, I gather from your post that there is no option to force a file date stamp update when updating tags. I suppose I should investigate the options myself though.
    I'm using dBpoweramp Reference R17.7 and I can't find any options related to the right-click Edit ID Tags and Modification Date/Time.

I typically use mp3tag when having to update the entries when there are numerous changes or they involve multiple parent folders, but the right click dBpa editor when fixing typos on a single album or file. The mp3tag editor has so many time-saving aids, but the dBpa editor is even quicker for simple fixes.
    Apart from the dBpoweramp utility codecs, I edit tags in MP3Tag.