title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

How to correct Replay Gain mistakes

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RobP
    • Aug 2012

How to correct Replay Gain mistakes

I'm looking for help after making what I think are novice mistakes using Batch Converter.

I have a library of WAV files, and decided to apply replay gain to them. I'm using dBpa version 15.3. I'm not technically minded and, after reading the guidance I set the converter to encode from WAV to WAV (I hadn't appreciated that a Replay Gain codec could be available), and selected both the Replay Gain and Replay Gain (Apply) dsp effects (I was unsure if my Naim Uniti player would read the Replay Gain tags). Following conversion there were error messages for many of the tracks which I closed and now can't find.

After, belatedly, looking at some of the forum threads, I'm concerned that by using the Replay Gain (apply) dsp effects, I have permanently changed the audio quality of the tracks. Something I didn't want to do. If I hover over the tracks the "contains" line says "Album Art, Replay Gain, ID Tag[LIST & ID3]".

Have I changed the audio quality of tracks in the library? And, if so, is there any way of correcting this without having to re-rip the CDs?

Also, if and when I can sort Replay Gain, I've read that it is possible to turn it off or on depending on listening to playlists or albums. How is this done from my controller (an iPad)? Is it necessary to install a second version of Asset on the iPad.

If you can overcome the lameness of my actions, any help would be appreciated. Thanks
  • simbun
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2021

Re: How to correct Replay Gain mistakes

Originally posted by RobP
    I have a library of WAV files, and decided to apply replay gain to them. I'm using dBpa version 15.3. I'm not technically minded and, after reading the guidance I set the converter to encode from WAV to WAV (I hadn't appreciated that a Replay Gain codec could be available), and selected both the Replay Gain and Replay Gain (Apply) dsp effects
    If you've done as you describe then yes, you've irreversibly modified your WAV files, but the best way to double check would be to use PerfectTunes or CUETools, as they compare your files to successful rips.

Originally posted by RobP
    Also, if and when I can sort Replay Gain, I've read that it is possible to turn it off or on depending on listening to playlists or albums. How is this done from my controller (an iPad)? Is it necessary to install a second version of Asset on the iPad.
    Assuming you're using AssetUPnP - and you want both options available at the same time - then you'd need to run two instances, one that applies Track Gain and one with Album Gain (or without any gain applied). Each one would appear in your control point as a separate server and you'd need to pick the appropriate one.

Comment

• RobP
      • Aug 2012

Re: How to correct Replay Gain mistakes

Thanks for your help, Simbun. I'll check the WAV files (and get prepared for re-ripping!).

Comment

Working...

]]>