title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: "Play" option for listing of albums?

"Play" option for listing of albums?

I recently got a new Wiim Pro, and I'm trying to modernize my multi-room music system. My question is related to playing a list of albums returned by the Asset UPnP DLNA server, which is running on a Synology NAS.

Here's what I'm trying to do. When browsing my music library, I frequently want to listen to all albums by a particular artist, or since Asset UPnP can return a list of albums in a genre, or by artist, I'd like to play that whole list of albums. In addition, I would like to have the albums play in a random order--shuffle play, if you will. (I have previously posted about the "random jukebox selection" of albums, and a fix to the problem I detected is coming per Spoon.)

But as I see it right now, when presented with a list of albums (browsing by artist...or genre...or random list) I see no way to simply "play" that list of albums, nor do I see a way to add the list of albums to the current queue, which would also solve the problem. What I was expecting was a big green "play" button that you get in the app when presented with a list of tracks.

Below is an image of a listing of the tracks in an album (all my classical works are considered "albums"), with a big green "play" button. Hit the button...and it plays the album. Simple.
    20230227_001448000_iOS.jpg

I'd like to see that same "play" button for a list of albums, like these two examples. In the first one, I'd like a "play" button to play all these works by Balakierev.
    20230227_001434000_iOS.jpg

In this second one, I'd like to play these albums, which have been randomly selected by Asset.
    20230226_235458000_iOS.jpg

In both of these cases, if you click on one of the albums, you get the track listing and a "play" button. The Wiim (or other software) will play all the tracks in the album, and then stop. Regardless of the setting of a "repeat" or "random" state in the client software, after playing all the tracks in the first album, the client just stops. What I'd like it to do is return to the album listing and choose the next album to play it.

I posted this in the Wiim forum, and got back a few responses along the lines of "BubbleUPnp can do this" and "Minimserver can do this." That leads to the assumption that presenting a "play" option for a listing of albums is under the control of the DLNA server software.

Not being a DLNA expert at all, but knowing software, I'm not sure what the people say is true.

So, to Spoon, can Asset cause my client software, whatever it is, to present a "play" button for a list of albums? Or is that a function of the client software, which means that Wiim would have to modify their DLNA browser to present the "play" button? Or, alternatively, is there some configuration in Asset that I'm missing that would cause a DLNA client to play a list of albums in its entirety?

Thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: "Play" option for listing of albums?

Quote Originally Posted by rjcrum View Post
    But as I see it right now, when presented with a list of albums (browsing by artist...or genre...or random list) I see no way to simply "play" that list of albums, nor do I see a way to add the list of albums to the current queue, which would also solve the problem. What I was expecting was a big green "play" button that you get in the app when presented with a list of tracks.
    Do you see a Play button on the index item that took you to the album selection? That's typically how you'd achieve what you want. The only control point that I know of with exactly this functionality (play all from an album listing) is Hi-Fi Cast, although I've only really used it and BubbleUPnP in anger.

In both of these cases, if you click on one of the albums, you get the track listing and a "play" button. The Wiim (or other software) will play all the tracks in the album, and then stop. Regardless of the setting of a "repeat" or "random" state in the client software
    Maybe that's a Wiim bug. BubbleUPnP in the 'Now Playing' screen has the option 'Repeat Playlist', 'Repeat Track' and 'Repeat Off' which works great, as well as 'Shuffle Playlist' and 'Shuffle Off'. Obviously if you haven't asked it to repeat then it will stop at the end of the playlist.

What I'd like it to do is return to the album listing and choose the next album to play it.
    I don't think any control point will automatically take you back to the index after the current playlist stops. Can't you just switch/tab back to the index view which should be as you left it?

I posted this in the Wiim forum, and got back a few responses along the lines of "BubbleUPnp can do this" and "Minimserver can do this." That leads to the assumption that presenting a "play" option for a listing of albums is under the control of the DLNA server software.
    Whilst BubbleUPnP does have an optional server element, in this context they're talking about the Android BubbleUPnP app which is the best app on any platform, and yes, the Play functionality is wholly controlled by the app.
    Last edited by simbun; 03-03-2023 at 03:34 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

I've assumed you know that you should be able to use any UPnP control point to orchestrate the communication between AssetUPnP and the Wiim, but just in case you don't, it's worth trying BubbleUPnP if you can. I know it's not ideal (as I assume you'll need the Wiim app for various things), but it'll be a much richer browsing experience if you do.

Thanks for all the comments, simbun. I would love to try the Bubbleupnp app, but (sadly in this case) I’m in the Apple world, and it’s not available on iOS.

You seem to confirm, though, that the control point software controls what I’m asking for, and not the DLNA server, such as Asset. I kind of suspected that, but I’m not a DLNA expert.

I’l just go back to the Wiim forum and post an enhancement request, and keep my fingers crossed!

dBpoweramp Guru

I didn't realise my brother had a WiiM mini, so I've just had a play with the WiiM app and what a let down, it's truly terrible. The only artwork you see is the album artwork, and the only place it shows the album artist is on the Now Playing screen, there's no mention of track artist at all.

I don't know if this will work for you, but if you proxy the WiiM to an OpenHome speaker using BubbleUPnP server you'll be able to use the Lumin app. I've used it on Android, and while it's not my cup of tea (given I have the choice of the BubbleUPnP app) it's leagues ahead of the WiiM controller. It also gives you the functionality you're after.

Well, I wouldn't call the Wiim interface "terrible." It's only been around a little over a year, and they have made great strides since then, and continue to enhance and fix on about a monthly basis. The good thing is that they really seem to listen to customers. As for proxying and introducing OpenHome...I just want something that works. I spent 42 years in the high tech electronics world, and at this point in my life, I don't want to have to go through all sorts of gyrations to make something work.

Also, I checked out Lumin, which I had never heard of. I installed the app on my iPad and it can see my Asset DLNA instance. I guess to each his own, because I found the interface too cluttered and busy, and I couldn't easily browse down a genre-->artist-->album path.

To each his own! That's why there are so many solutions out there, each with their own different take on the music playing and discovery process!

dBpoweramp Guru

Well, I wouldn't call the Wiim interface "terrible."
    Just to clarify, I was talking within the context of our conversation, that being UPnP browsing, and to that end I think it is; They've implemented the absolute minimum for you to be able to access your music - apart from the Now Playing screen, which is much like all the others.

It's only been around a little over a year, and they have made great strides since then, and ontinue to enhance and fix on about a monthly basis.
    Whilst the WiiM device hasn't been around long, Linkplay have been around years as has their interface - which this appears to be building on. Here's a Linkplay app I found on the play store. You can clearly see its origins, so whilst it's an improvement, I wouldn't count on them improving the UPnP browsing interface any time soon.

The good thing is that they really seem to listen to customers.
    Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the actual product itself (I'm waiting for one), it's been well reviewed and they do appear to be making good progress, but if I were in their position I would absolutely do the same; build a Spotify Connect/Tidal Connect/UPnP/Chromecast e.t.c. endpoint, leaving the hassle of building UI's down to other companies.

Also, I checked out Lumin, which I had never heard of. I installed the app on my iPad and it can see my Asset DLNA instance. I guess to each his own, because I found the interface too cluttered and busy
    I don't think many people will have heard of them, they build "audiophile" gear, but I've only heard of them because a lot of ios UPnP users are using their app as it's the best of a bad bunch really. I agree that when you hit a track listing (be it album or playlist) it is very busy, especially as I typically browse using my phone, but the other screens are fine.

and I couldn't easily browse down a genre-->artist-->album path.
    Lumin indexes (which is one of the things that annoys me) and presents your music independently of your music server, but if you'd prefer to see the AssetUPnP view just select the folder icon.

To each his own! That's why there are so many solutions out there, each with their own different take on the music playing and discovery process!
    Unfortunately it's always a compromise, but Lumin offers all of your desired functionality - albeit with a couple of drawbacks - so I figured it would be worth highlighting.

Thanks for all your comments! I'm still experimenting with my new setup and am not quite sure what I'll settle on, given the options now available to me. I guess that's part of the fun!

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks for all your comments! I'm still experimenting with my new setup and am not quite sure what I'll settle on, given the options now available to me. I guess that's part of the fun!
    I've just received my PRO and have it and the mini playing as a group using BubbleUPnP, working fabulously well.
    I use BubbleUPnP server to proxy my UPnP renderers to handle the playback queue (so my phone doesn't need to be active all the time), and this is also working well for the group.

I use UPnP as it's the only way to handle more than the most very basic of tags, but I never thought I'd get synchronised playback.

Have fun!