title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Why is ffmeg not part of dbPowerAmp toolbox?

Why is ffmeg not part of dbPowerAmp toolbox?

Using dbPowerAmp R15.1 (haven't seen a need to upgrade since 2014)

I own a WEB radio station where I convert all of my music collections to mp3 @ constant 128kbps to save bandwidth and CPU resources while broadcasting. When converting mp3s to 128, I often encounter 'file is corrupt' errors in PowerAmp.

My solution is to load these files in AUDACITY to attempt fixing them. Some are truly corrupt and cannot be salvaged, but a large percentage of them do load into Audacity, in ffmpeg compatibility mode, which then can be exported back @ 128kbps, generating a file that no longer shows any issues in dbPowerAmp.

Knowing that ffmep is an open source toolbox, why has it not been incorporated as an addon to dbPowerAmp?

Administrator

Re: Why is ffmeg not part of dbPowerAmp toolbox?

You might find that dBpoweramp has improved in its ability to read problem mp3 files.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    You might find that dBpoweramp has improved in its ability to read problem mp3 files.
    Following this, I upgraded to the 2022 version only to find that my problem is not yet solved; ffmpeg compatible mp3's are still reported as corrupt and will not convert.

Funny that this forum doesn't allow posting problem audio files to help resolve issues...

Administrator

Upload to dropbox and personal message me a link please.

Done, and thanks for your help!

Administrator

The files are corrupted, at the end is some data :

"Brava Software Inc." in it

Lots of ----------------------

That is not mp3 data, it is not ID Tag data, so dBpoweramp is correct to identify these files as corrupted.

The files are corrupted, at the end is some data :

"Brava Software Inc." in it

Lots of ----------------------

That is not mp3 data, it is not ID Tag data, so dBpoweramp is correct to identify these files as corrupted.
    - So why then is it possible to load these files in Audacity in ffmpeg compatibility mode and export them back, producing files that then work fine in dbPowerAmp? I'm assuming that Audacity somehow truncates that offending data when exporting; so my question is why isn't PowerAmp able to perform the same trick?

Administrator

dBpoweramp is able, I was able to convert one of your mp3 files to another mp3 file, dBpoweramp reported the mp3 file was corrupted, which it is, and the new mp3 file did not have errors. You have to ensure the new mp3 files are not overwriting the old one, as dBpoweramp will not replace the old file if there were errors.

dBpoweramp is able, I was able to convert one of your mp3 files to another mp3 file, dBpoweramp reported the mp3 file was corrupted, which it is, and the new mp3 file did not have errors. You have to ensure the new mp3 files are not overwriting the old one, as dBpoweramp will not replace the old file if there were errors.

Will try that next time Thank you so much for your help!

Will try that next time Thank you so much for your help!

p.s.; that might be something for the dev. team to work on... like adding an 'else' clause when the temp file can't overwrite the original - maybe adding a (1) to the filename...