title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Windows & Winamp Reporting Lower Bit Rate

Windows & Winamp Reporting Lower Bit Rate

Both Windows 10 Pro (22H2) and Winamp 5.666 are reporting lower bit rates than the 1,411 kbps dBpoweramp reports (in its "Edit Tags" interface) and what I would expect to see for FLAC rips.

On all the rips I've done with dBpoweramp so far, Windows and Winamp report bit rates between the upper 200s to upper 900s kbps. I even have one album where the file size of the FLAC album is less than the file size of the 320 kbps MP3 album ripped with Windows Media Player years ago (FLAC = 117MB; MP3 = 118MB).

I'm going to be ripping over a thousand CDs, so I want to make sure I'm doing it right before I get too far along. I don't think I've changed any of the default settings. Is there something I need to do to make sure I'm getting the full 1,411 kbps, or am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks!

Windows & Winamp Reporting.png
    Last edited by : z :; 01-10-2023 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Added screenshot

Administrator

Re: Windows & Winamp Reporting Lower Bit Rate

dBpoweramp reports the uncompressed bit rate for lossless tracks, 1411kbps is CD quality uncompressed. The other programs you mention must report compressed bit rate.

Re: Windows & Winamp Reporting Lower Bit Rate

Thanks @Spoon, that was my guess as well. It's weird that Windows would report the compressed bit rate since I assume it is uncompressed to 1,411 kbps as it is played. I ripped an album with Windows Media Player as a test and those FLAC files are also reported as less than 1,411 kbps, so it must just be a Windows thing.