title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Upsampled New CD

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Upsampled New CD

Hi.

No issues with AccurateRip or CD Ripper, but I recently brought a brand new sealed CD from a reputable source, which I now believe was upsampled and not a genuine original CD.

A couple of clues were the type of jewel case used and also the visible lands and pits on the burned surface of the CD.

AccurateRip did not recognise the CD, but a full secure rip was achieved.

I procured a second-hand copy of the same CD (at a higher price!) on eBay to continue experimenting. I thought that perhaps the first CD would simply end up being a copy, possibly offset by samples.

I am not an expert in interpreting spectrograms but I was definitely surprised at the results. In the attachment, you can see the first CD on the left and the genuine CD on the right.

The left looks like a clear upsample from 128kbps audio to Red Book.

Glad I have the genuine recording (and can hear the difference!), plus AccurateRip also had the CD in the database. However, I was curious if I might have any grounds for a refund based on my findings with the original CD I was sold?

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BOOTP; 01-10-2023 at 01:31 PM.

Administrator

Re: Upsampled New CD

Yes I think you have grounds.