title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beatles Deluxe Revolver - EP showing metadata of Helmut Lotti !!!

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Beatles Deluxe Revolver - EP showing metadata of Helmut Lotti !!!

So is it a match with the same Beatles disc or a match disc of what the metadata is?

Administrator

Metadata and AR are 100% separate, for AR to match, you matched an identical disc, otherwise the CRCs would not match.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

So regardless of the metadata, I can be 100% certain my Beatles CD is the same as 40 others with the AR match shown? Others would have had the same concern I have with the strange metadata matxh? I can be happy my disc is fine and no need to worry?

Administrator

Accurate Rip generates a CRC that is generated from the track, for it to match your track will match someone else rip 100%, if it did not you would not get an AccurateRip match.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by The_Grim_Ripper View Post
    So regardless of the metadata, I can be 100% certain my Beatles CD is the same as 40 others with the AR match shown? Others would have had the same concern I have with the strange metadata matxh? I can be happy my disc is fine and no need to worry?
    yes. You can be 100% certain.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thank you Spoon and Garym. I do keep on, but thank you for both being understanding and helpful.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by The_Grim_Ripper View Post
    I do keep on, but thank you for both being understanding and helpful.
    Hi Grim Ripper. I'm not sure if that implies that you're still worried about your disc? If so you shouldn't be, as has been pointed out several times. Here's what I started writing yesterday but never posted (Christmas called...). Perhaps redundant now or perhaps it can shed some additional light on the matter for you.

Metadata and AR are two different and separate things. Metadata providers do not use the AR checksum to distinguish between discs. This can easily be confirmed by yourself since you don't need an AR match to get the metadata. Just rip a disc that has errors and you will still get the metadata.

What does metadata providers (and programs) use to distinguish discs? It could be the artist & album names. Or it could be an ID of the disc which is based on the TOC. Occasionally, this simple ID could match different discs/albums, leading to wrong metadata. Also, potentionally you could get wrong metadata if there was a misalignment in the metadata database, or because of a user/program error when uploading metadata to the database.

So something like that is what caused Helmut Lotti to pretend to be The Beatles.

AR has nothing to do with metadata. AR uses an algorithm on the actual audio of the disc to create a checksum which is (in practice) 100% unique. If two independent persons/rippers/discs get the same checksum you can rest assured that those discs are accurately ripped - regardless of any metadata.

Hope this can still your concern if you still have some.
    Last edited by vilsen; 12-26-2022 at 10:46 AM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Hi Vilsen, thank you for taking the time to write this. This additional information does help. I've worried many years over my music, which garym will testify! I suffer with OCD and does cause me a lot of anxiety sometimes. I'm grateful for everyone's help.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Can confirm I have had this happen several times over the past few years, particularly with more obscure CDs. Absolutely nothing to worry about - I just do a full clean up of the metadata after the ripping process. The important thing is you still end up with those two AccurateRip tags in the resulting audio files, which indicate a match (irrespective of metadata).

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks BOOTP, really helpful to know.