title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: I am having a terrible time understanding Music Converter/Batch Converter

I am having a terrible time understanding Music Converter/Batch Converter

I am having a terrible time understanding Music Converter/Batch Converter. I've tried googling and watched some videos that were of no help.
    First Question: Is there a pdf of instructions somewhere that I can download to read?
    Second Question: I'm having two issues: 1. Cover Art is not transferring in the conversion from ALAC to FLAC. 2. Files are not sorted back in folders.
    Third Question: When I try selecting folders from the first panel that pops up, it won't let me open them. I then select "batch convert" and get a different panel that has check marks. Files will convert but will not keep the folders or art when ripping.
    I'd appreciate any help.

Re: I am having a terrible time understanding Music Converter/Batch Converter

Have you tried reading some of the entries here? https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/forumdi...Tips-Read-Only

Administrator

1. Cover art:

did iTunes rip those ALAC files? if it did, the files contain no cover art, only they are kept in iTunes itself. If you were to move those ALAC files to a different MAC they would have no cover art.

2. You should choose the 'Output To' as 'Preserve Source Path' then choose the location you would like the files to be saved.

dBpoweramp Guru

Google: embed artwork itunes
    you will see discussion and some tools/scripts to do a batch embedding of cover art to file tags from the iTunes location.

also, if above is not the problem, do you have settings in the converter, tag manipulation tab to embed or save cover art?

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I will start checking each one out. I really appreciate the help.

Thank you for your help. I did get the script for embedding cover art for itunes. It didn't solve the problem.
    As a test, I've tried converting files ripped by dbpoweramp as Apple Losseless and converted to flac, the cover art doesn't follow suit.
    Preferences are grayed out when I'm in Music Converter and Mass Converter. Where are the settings for the converter, tag manipulation tab located at? I've tried clicking everywhere and do not see such options. I've tried clickig on Configuration Advance Settings but didn't see anything there for save/embed cover art.
    I appreciate any suggestions you may have.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Are you sure your source Apple Lossless files have the artwork embedded? Check these first in a separate tag editor (like mp3tag, not iTunes' Get Info). If you do not see the artwork there for each song, then it is not embedded. I just tried this on my own ALAC files and converted to FLAC, and the album art was included with the new files.

I did note though that any of the "sort" tags from the ALAC file were not mapped to the similar FLAC tags. And same for Year, track, Totaltracks, and Totaldiscs as well. I'm not sure if this is due to technical reasons, i.e. FLAC not having them as a standard. Maybe this makes sense for the sort tags. But no idea why the year and disc/track numbers are getting dropped.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
    Thank you for your help. I did get the script for embedding cover art for itunes. It didn't solve the problem.
    As a test, I've tried converting files ripped by dbpoweramp as Apple Losseless and converted to flac, the cover art doesn't follow suit.
    Preferences are grayed out when I'm in Music Converter and Mass Converter. Where are the settings for the converter, tag manipulation tab located at? I've tried clicking everywhere and do not see such options. I've tried clickig on Configuration Advance Settings but didn't see anything there for save/embed cover art.
    I appreciate any suggestions you may have.
    see two pictures. the second is when the converter screen pops up in my batch converter, after (in my case) i've selected the files I want to convert and chosen convert to mp3. I've added the ID tag processing DSP. First screen below is after I've selected this DSP and now I click on the manipulation tab to select how I want to handle art.

https://imgur.com/HVtDoFR
    https://imgur.com/otmXNkE
    Last edited by garym; 12-21-2022 at 01:37 PM.

Administrator

Right click on one of the source files >> Edit ID Tags with dBpoweramp

if there is art, it will be listed in the tag editor.

OK. Up and running with the converter. FLACs have the artwork. Also did AAC with no issues. Thank you.